Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

geography or home economics

Options
  • 11-06-2009 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

whats easier for the lc? geog or eco?

what do ye think?

MEANT ECONOMICS LADS SORRY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I do/did ggeography and found it relatively easy. Not too dull, and very easy to get a B. I have never done Home ec, but I hear its enjoyable, but very hard. There's a lot to cover in the two years. Hopefully that helps, prolly not though! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Well I didnt do Geo, but i'd definitely recomment Home Ec.
    Very straight forward. Mostly kinda common sense for a lot of it.
    You can get good results with just a little bit of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

well i do home ec infact im now finished it woo!..if you like biology you'll like it that bit more as a lot of things covered in the biology course is out it like biomolecules,fungi viruses.
    Theres sociology which is easy enough smallest section of the course but its guaranteed to come up on the LC and 90% is common sense
    Theres consumer studies which come up too but you cant totally avoid it if you dont have an interest in it!!which is what i did and the exam went fine

Hope that helped in some way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭7Steve

I'm still confused about that Economics/Home Economics thing. I'll go by if you mean Economics.

Well I am doing/did the two of them. There is loads of stuff to learn in Geography, but it's an easier subject. Economics, tends to be harder. If you don't understand the key concepts, it can be difficult. There is a lot less to learn than in Geography.

Personally, I prefer Economics, but it depends if you like business. The A rate is higher in Geography than in Economics, if that helps. But, it is handy that you can have nearly a week to study for Economics during the exams, whereas Geography is slap bang in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

I do both, and not really a fan of either. But if I had to choose it would be geography in thats its much more predicatable and straightforward than economics I think.

Still, Geog has a MASSIVE COURSE and that S.R.P bollocks really annoys me, whats an S.R.P to one examiner is not to another, should be on impression imo.

Actually, do neither:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Both are difficult.
    You reckon Geog is finnnnee, you'll be finnnnee but the course is so wide and the exam so messed up it's a difficult one to get an A in.

economics,
    I hated it at first but with the help of a great teacher, I really liked it.
    Finished the course at Christmas and have been revising since.
    Still am going to invest a lot of time into it for Wednesday but seriously, it's an exam which doesn't require essay type answers.
    Just points.
    Time IS a problem however in the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

I've never done Economics but my sister teaches it and says its a horrible subject.

I had the a horrible teacher for Geography this year, she spent the whole year telling my work was not up to leaving cert standred and I need to start taking it seriously. Then I got a B3 in the mocks and that shut her up :)

I quite like geography the paper isn't overly hard if you know what to study. It is a large course with 4 different parts and 3 different books. There is also a very annoying project you have to do and write up throughout the year and you go to the beach or river for a day to do your project.

All in all it's not bad, particulary if you enjoyed geography at junior cert. It's a completely different level and you also study regional geography and economic geography ( all about the eu and colonilisation and globalisation.)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Sadly enough, choosing a subject can sometimes come down to a teacher! And it might also be easier to pick if you think about the other subjects you're choosing.

I do Geography and love it - It's a very weighty subject but if you learn it, it's fine. It's very enjoyable, there's a lot of interesting topics and even the Physical Geog. is okay! There is a lot of writing involved but no opinions, just pure fact.

A couple of my friends do Economics and like it, but say it can be very boring and vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I find/found Geog handy enough, and you can get 20% before you go into the exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

I'm doing both and I much prefer Economics but that's just me. I find it a lot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Economics(not home) is easily the easiest subject that I'm doing. You can predict basically the whole test for the LC and only have to do 4 out of 8 long questions and 6 out of 9 short questions. Geography is OK, just make sure that unlike me you do your project early and start learning before the day before :( because there is quite a lot to learn.

Advertisement