Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry Cramming

Options
  • 11-06-2009 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hey i trying to as well as can in chemistry to make up for maths so how should i divide up my time between now and tuesday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Organic chemistry. It's a good one to cram. So much in it.
    Also, titrations and organic experiments too.

Then there's the other questions. Atomic theory/periodic table is usually Q5. Equillibrium comes up quite often. I'd also do a bit on Rates of Reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

cheers fringe im in the same situation ill have saturday to monday and all tuesday morning to cram so i should do ok hoping for C1 B3 area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 CallMeDoctor

hey eoin don't worry about chemistry is a subject that you can really learn quickly i got 88 % in the mocks and i would recommend the following :

Q1: Know the bleach titration and the iron tablets-v-KMnO4 really well.
    Q2: Ethene and ethyne and saponification
    Q3: I wouldnt bother it takes too long.
    Q4: Study the main definitions this shud b an easy enuf q to get ur marks
    Q5: Ionisation energy
    Q6:Learn how to do heat of combustion calculation look at 2006!
    Q7: Water hardness and watnot

Learn free radical substitution it will save ur life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

The following are all guaranteed questions:

- Organic chemistry (the easiest section in my opinion, and three questions out of eight if you cover it well)
    - Atomic theory (question 5. There's not a lot to cover here!)
    - Rates of Reactions (will show up as either question 3 or a part b question. Again, there isn't a huge amount to cover...only 4 or 5 things they can ask really...)
    - Titrations (question 1. Always the easiest question on the paper... They ask the same stuff every year really. Practice the calculations)

These are the most important areas, and they'll cover you for a lot of short questions. Don't bother with the experiments apart from organic, titrations and rates. No point really!

Other topics can probably be left out but do try and glance over them if you've covered the main areas, eg. equilibrium, stoichiometry, radioactivity, industrial and atmospheric chem, oxidation and reduction, gases etc.

Good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Oh yeah, forgot to mention... The best way to study for chem is to revise a section, learn the definitions etc and then do out 2 or 3 questions on that section from the papers with the book closed. You'll improve a lot if you do it that way!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

1fahy4 pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Know all that and you're good to go! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭arthistory

Yay!! Leaving Cert will soon be over!! Chemistry is my last exam. Any predictions???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭marblesolutions

These are my predictions for what they are worth
    Ethanal prep
    Bleach or iron tablet titration
    anion tests
    prep of ethene and ethyne
    Ionisation energy/electronegativity/bonding
    Diag. for dis.of crude oil
    Equil. experiments and Kc
    diag for acid bases
    The usual stuff after that

Advertisement