Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

piggyback sim with the new 3GS?

Options
  • 11-06-2009 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I used to own a factory unlocked 3g from Italy. I sold it, and am now in the market for the new 3gs version.
    I would like to buy an unlocked one but thinking about it, i may move to 02 and get it from them. However I do a fair bit of travelling outside Europe, and there no chance I will pay 02 silly roaming rates and even sillier data roaming rates. So my question is, if i go ahead and get an o2 handset, is it likely a piggyback sim will allow me to put in foreign sim cards when Im abroad?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

No-one will know until the device is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

No-one will know until the device is released.

is there ones that work well with the current 3g model?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

cojomo2 wrote: »
    is there ones that work well with the current 3g model?

If you are buying a new and unlocked 3GS iPhone, why don't you get a local SIM everywhere you travel?

There is no need to panic just because I can't get MMS to work with OS 3.0 and a 3UK SIM.

culabula wrote: »
    If you are buying a new and unlocked 3GS iPhone, why don't you get a local SIM everywhere you travel?

There is no need to panic just because I can't get MMS to work with OS 3.0 and a 3UK SIM.

well its just that I'm not too optimistic about getting my hands on an unlocked one in Brussels as I arrive on the 30th which is 4 days after its release..I'm kinda guessing there will be no stock:(

well its just that I'm not too optimistic about getting my hands on an unlocked one in Brussels as I arrive on the 30th which is 4 days after its release..I'm kinda guessing there will be no stock:(

Then why did you book? As I say, I'm not sure that there will be the same level of purchase this year given recession, price and lack of wow factor. If you don't get one in Brussels, you could get a TGV to Lille and try the French shops.

• Advertisement

Then why did you book? As I say, I'm not sure that there will be the same level of purchase this year given recession, price and lack of wow factor. If you don't get one in Brussels, you could get a TGV to Lille and try the French shops.

Well I would have booked to go on the 26th but Ive work commitments that weekend. The reason I booked the 30th anyway is because it was only 12 euro return all in and so I thought I might as well keep my options open. I'll see what happens in the U.K ..if it sells out within hours, I dont think ill bother with Brussels, but if as you say, the take up is a lot slower this time around, ill give Brussels a shot.

I think the release date for France is 19th(not 100% sure) so stock would be less likely to be about by the time I get there, on the 30th..

Well I would have booked to go on the 26th but Ive work commitments that weekend. The reason I booked the 30th anyway is because it was only 12 euro return all in and so I thought I might as well keep my options open. I'll see what happens in the U.K ..if it sells out within hours, I dont think ill bother with Brussels, but if as you say, the take up is a lot slower this time around, ill give Brussels a shot.

I think the release date for France is 19th(not 100% sure) so stock would be less likely to be about by the time I get there, on the 30th..

Is release not worldwide on the 19th?

Is release not worldwide on the 19th?

No. USA, Canada,Italy UK and a couple of others get it on the 19th

Ireland,Belgium and a few others get it on 26th

then others some time in July and August...

No. USA, Canada,Italy UK and a couple of others get it on the 19th

Ireland,Belgium and a few others get it on 26th

then others some time in July and August...

Ah, I see.

I'd have gone the Italian route in that case. i would never, ever buy a locked one from a carrier, particularly since, by your own admission, you're a travelling man. I got one of those e-Kit SIMs, free incoming in shedloads of countries. That Cork crowd, whose name escapes me, offer roamed data on theirs, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

'scuse my ignorance, but what is a piggyback sim?

• Advertisement

Ah, I see.

I'd have gone the Italian route in that case. i would never, ever buy a locked one from a carrier, particularly since, by your own admission, you're a travelling man. I got one of those e-Kit SIMs, free incoming in shedloads of countries. That Cork crowd, whose name escapes me, offer roamed data on theirs, too.

Is it Cubic Telecom, owned by Pat Phelan? I read about their MaxRoam SIM , is that what you have? Any good?

Is it Cubic Telecom, owned by Pat Phelan? I read about their MaxRoam SIM , is that what you have? Any good?

Think that's the one but no, I have e-Kit. However, I'll be using a Vodafone UK for the rest this summer with my O2 IRL forwarded to it.

Am also a Fonero now, so wifi no longer holds any terrors.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    'scuse my ignorance, but what is a piggyback sim?

Guess he means one of those with a Rebel Yell. Rubbish, for the most part.

Advertisement