Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

german discussion thread

Options
  • 11-06-2009 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

just thought i'd make this thread to follow the flow

anyway whats everyone studying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Can't help but feel there's nothing we can do now. By now we ought to have a good grasp of the language and understand the listening... German's not really a subject you can study for.

Though I suppose it wouldn't hurt to learn a few new words. I think I'm gunna learn a few phrases out of Sprachschatz. Maybe make sure my grammar's in working order...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I dunno what to do =/

I'll have a last minute look over topical vocab. Might do a listening or two...

My German is so dodgy.. I really hope a nice grammar section comes up :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I haven't done any study for german..but then again who has. We did some of the past papers in class and do a lot of work in class so im hoping that will see me through it. Could prepare for the letter though. Does anyone have some phrases which you can use in the beginning and end of the letter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 artemus

anyone got stuff on obama??

I haven't done any study for german..but then again who has. We did some of the past papers in class and do a lot of work in class so im hoping that will see me through it. Could prepare for the letter though. Does anyone have some phrases which you can use in the beginning and end of the letter?

What I did is I went back through the past papers and made a list of openings and closing to learn.

Then I used a closing in a letter and my teacher marked it wrong :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Piste,you do German and French too?

Well I'm just learning some environment stuff (it came up for French) and also a few recession phrases.

Our notes are pretty useless though,so if anyone has anything to share,please do!

Also,check out here for idioms/proverbs :http://german.about.com/library/blredew_B.htm

Yip I do both. Adore French, but my German's much worse.

Haha those German idioms are kinda funny!

Yeah French is waaay easier...
    Auge (eye) > Das passt wie die Faust aufs Auge.
    It's all wrong. It's out of place. It clashes. (colors)

Note: The same expression can also mean the opposite

Those Germans....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Schuppdiwupp-Bobs your uncle!

Used it in every exam I've ever done, works like a charm!:D

Gi joe! wrote: »
    Schuppdiwupp-Bobs your uncle!

Used it in every exam I've ever done, works like a charm!:D

Love. It. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 robynk18

does anyone know any idioms? i heard your meant to use them in higher ...:confused:

robynk18 wrote: »
    does anyone know any idioms? i heard your meant to use them in higher ...:confused:

See link above ^^

aine-maire wrote: »
    See link above ^^

ok thanx....any other ones? lol

robynk18 wrote: »

Just make sure you have at least one or two irregular sentences that messes around with the case or verb or whatever.

e.g Wenn(If) is a great example-it sends the verb to end

Wenn das Wetter schlect ist, bleibe ich ins

Although if your german isn't your strong point(like me), just follow the KISS principle and you will do fine:)

Just make sure you have at least one or two irregular sentences that messes around with the case or verb or whatever.

e.g Wenn(If) is a great example-it sends the verb to end

Wenn das Wetter schlect ist, bleibe ich ins

Although if your german isn't your strong point(like me), just follow the KISS principle and you will do fine:)

KISS?
    :confused:

danke!! :).....yeah i dunno what KISS is either lol

Keep It Simple Stupid :)

Oh...how ironic:rolleyes:

haha.....coolies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Btw there is no point learning off a huge opening conisdering you only get 1 mark for it and another 1 mark if you manage to engage with the question in your opening. A simple Vielen Dank will suffice.

Last years topic was the importance of water, come on the importance of air :p

• Advertisement

Stev_o wrote: »

Hope you're joking....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

should be grand tomorrow, cant help feeling i would have been doing better if I had really engaged this year but I should get my B2 or B1 only have to go up 8% from mocks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I was just going through some papers there and I noticed that it would be handy enough to answer the german exam as gaeilge! How many bonus marks do you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i'm just going to go over the grammar.the adjective endings and the prepositions i'm terrible at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Stev_o wrote: »
    Btw there is no point learning off a huge opening conisdering you only get 1 mark for it and another 1 mark if you manage to engage with the question in your opening. A simple Vielen Dank will suffice.

Oh really...I should probably look at the marking scheme. Damn I wanted to learn off good openings/endings like in OL Irish :pac:

I'm decent enough at German but I have like no fancy phrases...it's a bit late like. But I mean, as long as you answer all the parts of the letter with correct simple German should you get a good mark? As in no feckin idioms :p

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭ak51535

I think there's only 2 people doing honours in my class....if ye knew our teacher you'd understand lol

Oh really...I should probably look at the marking scheme. Damn I wanted to learn off good openings/endings like in OL Irish :pac:

I'm decent enough at German but I have like no fancy phrases...it's a bit late like. But I mean, as long as you answer all the parts of the letter with correct simple German should you get a good mark? As in no feckin idioms :p

Guarantee it:) If you know a few of course throw them in, but a simplistic and well-written letter will spank an ambitious but error-ridden effort any day:D

Maybe learn a few general phrases that will impress the examiner though
    e.g Das ist ander als in Deutchland-that is the same in germany
    Laut Bericht-according to reports
    Umso erschreckender-its all the more shocking
    oder?-isn't it?(builds rapport with your fake penpal haha!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Stick to content over expression. If your bad at German just try and answer the question given and try and give as many points as you can. At the end of the day you want to get the most content marks available to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

(builds rapport with your fake penpal haha!)

Hahaha! What a weird exam it is. I'm learning off topics and a few general phrases.. Hopefully I'll be able to give off the illusion I actually have a clue about German grammar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

Not much to study.
    Going to go over Ausserung layout and stuff tonight but I never study for german and do fine. JUst hope I get a B, but the oral went well and aural should be fine.

Advertisement