Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Retriever Eats Everything

Options
  • 11-06-2009 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hello all,

I'm hoping you can give us some advice on how to deal with our Golden Retrieve, he eats everything in sight: socks, rubbish, tea towels etc now this is manageable when he is at home because we just move everything out of his reach but when we bring him for walks and is off his lead he gets his paws on all sorts of things and gobbles them down really quickly before we can even react never mind get them off him. We have tried offering him treats but he just gobbles the item up even quicker so he can get the treat.

We really don't understand why he does it as most of the things he eats cannot taste nice at all.We are obviously worried about his health and any damage he could potentially be doing to himself, he has trouble passing some items and he gets very distressed to the point where my Dad has had to help him...

We were thinking of getting a muzzle for him to stop him getting things but obviously we would prefer to address the issue properly.

Any advice which be must appreacited.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Cooper07

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

How old is your dog?

Do you discipline him at home when he eats /gets a hold of things he shouldn't?

A muzzle for now is a good short term solution but as you said you need to figure a long term one. I'm not sure about eating crap outside, my pup loves getting her paws on ANYthing, I see her eating bits of bark, wood, the plants, the moss, it's crazy, and as you said they can throw it up or have trouble passing bits.

I know my friends have 3 golden labs and they used to try rubbing a mixture of olive oil and tabasco sauce onto lets say legs of tables they'd eat etc, because it's meant to deter them. Her dogs actually loved the taste :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You have to train him

- not to pick up things
    - to release anything he does pick up

until that's reasonably established, no more running off the lead

http://dogs.about.com/od/basiccommands/ht/dropitcommand.htm

After that it's just a matter of keeping an eye on him

Advertisement