Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power kites - what kite have you got?

Options
  • 11-06-2009 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm hoping that there are lots of avid power kiters out there like me.

I'll start the ball rolling (or kite flying, whichever you prefer :D): I have a 4 metre Radsail - a super agile kite with plenty of lift in good conditions. Bought it on e-Bay & have it about 4 years and i've just about mastered pendulum jumps (They're getting bigger!).

Kite mostly in the open area around the papal cross in the Phoneix Park.

I'd like to limit this thread to land based kites (No kitesurfers allowed!), though its' something i'd love to get into.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jkl

I use a 9m Ocean Rodeo Bronco - love this kite,
    Just getting the hang of using this with thelandboard

My missus uses a Varc something-or-other, the kites kind of a reclaimed mess, more repairs than kite, but she flies, and does the business.

The oceans just for people afraid of hard ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

i fly a 3m radsail, i used to have a good bit of kitesurfing gear and a mountainboard but i sold it cause it was too much stuff, nd i didnt get to use it as often as i would have liked.
    anyway, i love flying my small kite now,

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

My old French housemate (who got me into kiting) had a 3 m radsail. They're a really nimble kite in high wind - plenty of poke!

Another of my friends bought a 6 m Crossfire recently which was a real dissapointment. Loads of power, but all as its being launched and really difficult to turn in the middle of the window. It also collapses quite often at the edge of the window. Only really any use in low winds. That siad I have only flown it a few times and was too frustrated with it to persevere .

Makes me appreciate my Radsail all the more!

A 9 m kite jkl - have you done jumps with it? I'd imagine it has the potential to really hurt you it gets to lift off...

In lowish winds they're grand, high winds you've got a lot of time to plan your landings.

They're great for landboarding.

• Advertisement

When you say you've lots of time to plan you're landings - Is this time spent in something of a panic or is it more a floaty happy time!? Also, is the Ocean Rodeo 9m a kite surfing kite - does it have an inflatable bladder?

I'm considering getting something arond the 9m mark. Was thinking of a flexifoil blade but they're very pricey. I wonder how a 9 m surf kite would perform for jumps etc. on land.

I'm planning on getting into kitesurfing so it could be a good way of getting a feel for the kite before hitting the water.

wether is panic or happy all depends on how confident you are :p

It does have a bladder, i find it fine, easy to use.

Supposedly the blade is excellent, well worth the money, but i dont know first hand.

Sounds like the kite for me. Did you buy it new?

No, i'm too poor for that, picked it up on adverts.ie

If you want to try it i'd be more than happy to head out and meet you.

That'd be great - I'd really appreciate it.

My mobile is down at the moment but I hope to have it up and running again soon. I'll PM you with my mobile number when it's working again and perhaps we could meet in the park some evening.

Looking forward to seeing a 9m kite in action :D

• Advertisement

i was out in the park today at the cross, but in a genius move i forgot my bar and lines. Used our little 2m kite with the missus for a bit.

Spotted a few other kites around. do many people head out there?

Just took out a new 5.5m Radsail Savage, completely different animal to the kite surfing kites, great fun, good lift

Just back from 2 weeks in Croatia. Brought my kite but the pebbley beaches were no good for kiting :rolleyes:.

I do see a few kiters around the park. I met a Polish couple one afternoon with 2 identical 6m kites. They got them in Argos. They had no brand name on them but the build quality and design looked very like Radsail.

I'm now chomping at the bit to buy a bigger kite. I'm sure your new Radsail is great JKL. Mine's a few years old now and still good as new - they're excellent quality.

i'm trying to get used to flying with handles instead of a bar now, so its been ... interesting, lots of stalling and unintentional jumping.

If you're headed out let me know, i'll bring along the 9m for you to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I've got 3.0 radsails kite its awesome dragged my brother down the beach the other day :pac:......

The first power kite I everflew was a 3.o m radsail. My old French housemate had one and got me into it. In high winds the 3 m radsails can generate huge power :eek:

We took his out on a wet afternnon to the polo pitch in the Pheonix park. It was like an ice ring. With runners which has slippy soles we let the kite drag us upright (most of the time) all over the pitch :D.

I'm a big fan of Radsails.

domcq wrote: »
    The first power kite I everflew was a 3.o m radsail. My old French housemate had one and got me into it. In high winds the 3 m radsails can generate huge power :eek:

We took his out on a wet afternnon to the polo pitch in the Pheonix park. It was like an ice ring. With runners which has slippy soles we let the kite drag us upright (most of the time) all over the pitch :D.

I'm a big fan of Radsails.

for its sise its a pretty intense kite after about force 3 ive had it out in force 5 and well i had a long walk back to the car :pac:.

I only payed a 175 euros for it best buy I've ever had... :D

I've a mate who said oh I dont think brake lines should be on a kite :rolleyes:

for its sise its a pretty intense kite after about force 3 ive had it out in force 5 and well i had a long walk back to the car :pac:.

I only payed a 175 euros for it best buy I've ever had... :D

I've a mate who said oh I dont think brake lines should be on a kite :rolleyes:

I haven't used a kite without brake lines ever - how would you park it!? :confused:

domcq wrote: »
    I haven't used a kite without brake lines ever - how would you park it!? :confused:

fly it into the wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 bigaid1

i am considering buying a second hand kite for a bit of craic on the beach. don't want to spend a fortune because i don't want a dear garage ornament. can anyone give me any advice or tips

what size
    what brand
    best location
    how to stop

• Advertisement

You'll get a goods small kite 2-3m second hand for not too much money, ebay / kitingireland etc are good places to pick them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

bigaid1 wrote: »
    i am considering buying a second hand kite for a bit of craic on the beach. don't want to spend a fortune because i don't want a dear garage ornament. can anyone give me any advice or tips

what size
    what brand
    best location
    how to stop

www.racekites.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paddy l

got a beamer 3m kite. it's good fun and i got a land board too. only started using both together this year. men are not supposed to multi task but i eventually i broke that barrier!!!

looking for a good 2nd hand kite buggy now. any suggestions where to find one??

I've seen the odd one on e-Bay.

Was watching some guys Kite Surfing in Rosses Point Sligo last wknd - it looks grrrrrreat!

Apologies jkl for not taking you up on the test fly of your 9m yet. The Dublin Marathon has left me with so little time.

Once it's over, I'm 100% back in the busom of wind power.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

My HQ Beamer III 3m ready-to-fly is still up for grabs - €80 plus postage. If anyone is interested PM me and I'll send you the link to the advert (which contains pics).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 collegebear

I have a 2.5m Bullet. Class little thing, great for speed and the craic.
    Also i have a 6.5m Blade. Love using this with a board or my friends buggy.
    Do my flying on the curragh planes. Great spot for open stretches. Plus its right off the N7 exit 12. Got a few guys up here that do be out. Unfortantley im down in IT Carlow, so i haven't found any where to fly about. Sucks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Randyaster

Ive Just bought a HQ BeamerIII 4m Kite, have had a bit of fun with it, but just havent had the chance to take it out in a good bit of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Just got a Beamer IV (4 meter). Took it out into 35km winds yesterday. (Bad move) :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Randyaster

I feel your pain shiny, I took mine out yesterday too. I'm new to all this and while in light winds I could control the kite almost perfectly I got cocky and thought I'd be fine. That kite with those winds and my lack of knowledge tought me a big lesson. Practice makes perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Randyaster wrote: »
    I feel your pain shiny, I took mine out yesterday too. I'm new to all this and while in light winds I could control the kite almost perfectly I got cocky and thought I'd be fine. That kite with those winds and my lack of knowledge tought me a big lesson. Practice makes perfect.

hehe, where did you go? I saw someone slapping them selves yesterday
    on Dollymount strand with a blue kite I think. :)

Advertisement