Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Existing SIM O2 - iPhone

Options
  • 10-06-2009 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Sorry - another really stupid Q. I keep thinking 'yeah ok i get it' and then i read more about iphone/o2 and realise no i do not get it.

A post by Stephen in the poll this evening got me thinking again ... "I spend less than €25 a month on a SIM-only O2 contract with my iPhone and have yet to go outside my free minutes/250MB data. As an added bonus, I can sod off elsewhere with only 30 days notice."

I agree with Tom Dunne about 45/month in recession being a bit steep. I would say i spend 20 euro a month - tops. (But then i dont surf the net/email cos i dont have an iphone)

So......my stupid question is - can i use iPhone on my normal SIM? I think the answer is no - need 3G sim. Q2 - how do i get a 3G SIM or whatever i need to surf the net - without having to go on the insane iPhone tariffs?

I apologise if many of you have already answered these Q's in other threads. I am so confused now that even searching through the threads i have no idea what i am talking about.

God - and i used to be so mobile-savvy :o:confused::confused: - till i started getting interested in iPhone. O2 make it confusing IMHO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

A SIM from any other 3G-capable O2 phone will work. You can ring customer care and ask them for a 3G SIM, shouldn't be any problems with it. You don't need to mention the iphone at all. As far as I'm aware all new SIMs should be 3G anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭kimmykins

you can call customer care for a 3g sim or call into any o2 retail/carphone warehouse store - if you request the sim by post - once received you can then call 1909 to activate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

O2 have no way of knowing you have an iPhone if you don't tell them. As long as you have an O2 IRL SIM, the iPhone will work, no matter what plan you are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭kimmykins

the phone will work regardless of the price plan but a 3g sim will ensure faster connection speeds - otherwise with 2g you are working off the edge network and the speeds will be slooooooooooooower

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭parka

w@ll3gurl wrote: »
    God - and i used to be so mobile-savvy :o:confused::confused: - till i started getting interested in iPhone. O2 make it confusing IMHO.

I have to agree with you on this comment

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭w@ll3gurl

Thanks for your helpful replies everyone!

kimmykins wrote: »
    the phone will work regardless of the price plan but a 3g sim will ensure faster connection speeds - otherwise with 2g you are working off the edge network and the speeds will be slooooooooooooower

Cheers kimmykins, thats actually another question you have answered for me as that whole 2G/3G thing crossed my mind. So its speed as opposed to it not working at all! all beginning to make sense now :D

hopefully someday i will be able to reel off tech spec & features of iPhone like i can some of my nokias!

Advertisement