Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I stay up all night studying Biology?

Options
  • 10-06-2009 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I know it's a big risk going into an exam with no sleep but advantages and disadvantages:

+ I know very little of the course but need a high grade, therefore I need to do serious cramming
    + It's my last exam so after I'm finished I can have a mega long sleep
    + It's a morning exam so I won't be waiting all that long to do it, and I'll be finished at 12.30 or whatever

- I could have a fried brain by the time 9.30 comes and my performance is even worse as a result
    - I'm already knackered as it is

It'd be great if I could get some opinions off people with experience. Thanks in advance and good luck to all other students with exams still to do

Should I stay up all night doing Biology? 28 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 28 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭piggies

my plan is to go to bed now and get up early, have a good few things left to do.

i wouldn't stay up all night as after a while your brain isn't going to take in any more information!

i'd go to sleep now and get up at 5 or something......if you're really stuck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

Edsgravy0 wrote: »
    I know it's a big risk going into an exam with no sleep but advantages and disadvantages:

+ I know very little of the course but need a high grade, therefore I need to do serious cramming
    + It's my last exam so after I'm finished I can have a mega long sleep
    + It's a morning exam so I won't be waiting all that long to do it, and I'll be finished at 12.30 or whatever

- I could have a fried brain by the time 9.30 comes and my performance is even worse as a result
    - I'm already knackered as it is

It'd be great if I could get some opinions off people with experience. Thanks in advance and good luck to all other students with exams still to do

quite frankly no...get a good night's sleep behind you and get up early. your brain is almost useless at this time of night. try not dwell on it too much you will go nuts. tomorrow is another day afterall. i wish you all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

i did the leaving cert last year, very glad my cao needed low points so there was very little stress, but i definitely would have stayed up if i were in your position then brough a whole lot of red bull in with me. that stuff is magic! anyway best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Going to go to bed in the next 20 mins, call my gf and chat 'til I'm ready to sleep then wake up early tomorrow morning, eat breakfast and lie in bed reading my revision book until it's near 9 then I'll get up shower and drive to school!

Probably the best course of action!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Really up to you on whether you feel you'll be alert/awake enough to last through the exam. I tried staying up before and I fell asleep on my laptop and woke randomly and I felt worse than before I'd fallen asleep. You can feel other things besides tired when you stay up all night, your brain stops working as well, you can feel nauseous, your eyes may sting a lot, you may feel weak.

Personally, I wouldn't. I mean, no offence, but what are you going to learn between now and then that will pull your grade up immensely?
    If you think you can learn lots of stuff in the time between now and the exam and can last, then go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Not trying to be smart but your study should be long done at this stage.

However, given the circumstances, I think it's foolish to deprive yourself of sleep, as others have said, have a good rest and get up and do a few hours in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Edsgravy0

Cheers for all the replies and wishes of good luck... I know it sounds absolutely mad to be getting no sleep at all before a Leaving Cert exam but it is the final hurdle after all - and I really am in the deep end :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Study from now till 1.
    Proper proper study, not just lazily reading.

Focus on chpt summaries, pick 10 chpts and focus on those.
    Look at a few diagrams, and know the labels.

Go to sleep at 1, get up at 7, and study for another hour if you can.

Now get off boards!

I understand where you're coming from, and you're dead right. It's just I feel all of my other exams went well enough. I've no real room for error though, as is this is my 6th of 6 honours. I got 50 something percent in my mock (it was made and marked by the teacher though, which could be deceptive)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

go to bed now and get up alittle early in the morning ..eg 5.00am

i mean, you 'd be surprised how much you could get down from 5.00-9.00ish =)

you NEED some sleep at least..

you need a clear head

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I remember considering the same thing prior to my own LC Biology exam. I stayed up until one staring at my closed Biology book thinking about it until I changed my mind and went to bed. I then did the exam with less than six hours sleep and barely scraped a pass.

Go to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

aww..you are not being smart but ..OP's idea of good would be different than other peoples...:p like he/she could have studied before , just haven't done them in awhile..maybe they d all come back :D

However, given the circumstances, I think it's foolish to deprive yourself of sleep, as others have said, have a good rest and get up and do a few hours in the morning.

.[/QUOTE]

STRONGLY AGREE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

go through all the key words and diagrams in the tips between now and 1
    go to bed
    get up at 4.30
    go through all the key words and diagrams in the tips between 4.30 and 6.30 (repetition is the key to retention)
    go to bed till 7.30 (this hours sleep will be vital to your alertness in the exam). Remember to have every alarm clock in the house around the bed set for 7.30
    go through all the key words and diagrams in the tips between 7.30 and 9.30 (repetition is the key to retention)

You'll have revised the key areas 3 times and been to bed twice.

Ok, following advice from this thread, I'm going to do some intense study til 1, get some sleep, get up at 5, some more crazy study, suffer the exam and then go home and saw some almighty logs!

Thanks for all your support and good luck to all. Night (y)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Depends how much of the course you do or don't know. I have most of it floating around my head somewhere at the back, so I'm gonna stay up til around 5 studying, 3/4 hours sleep and I'll be set. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

There's no point! You won't learn anything at all since it's so late. Go to sleep now and wake up early where you'll be fresh and cram like crazy till 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

I am doing this but I do it all the time. I swear if I didn't I would barely scrape a pass but if I stay up all night and study then I often get A grades.

Did it on Monday night and had Irish Paper 2 and business on Tuesday. Feel like crap on Tuesday was shaking and everything but I think I could have just scraped the A1 in Business so worth it.

Goodluck anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

And remember, don't just sit there and read.
    You should test yourself at the end of each chapter, make sure it's in your noggin.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

nah youd be better off you go to bed now, get up 4.30/5 (depending when you leave for school) and study! just do exam papers! its the quickest way to cover such a wide course! by looking up the answers youl remember them! and buy some red bull but dont drink it until theres only an hour or so left in your exam or youl crash!

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I tried this once. Come, say, 4 or 5 you'll be knackered and you wont take in anything. You'll probably be able to stay awake but you wont be able to think 100%. That's what happened to me anyway and I ended up falling asleep about 9/10 that morning.

And the worst part is when you get tired at 5 am and realize it's too late to sleep now, it makes you 10 times more tired :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Was in a similar enough boat last night. Felt turbo screwed for French and History and at 11pm needed to go thru more or less everything in both subjects. Did a little bit of French and a few topics for History. By 1 I had two sections left to study for Hisory. Decided to take a break and read my history book while watching TV for half an hour. Next thing I know, I'm waking up on the couch at 8am. Did a bita study in the morning then.

You'd be surprised how much info is inside your head and comes rushing back in the exam when you need it. I'm all for cramming and lack of sleep, but you need SOME sleep. Honestly, even two hours sleep will be soooo much better then 0 hours. I speak from experience, and a little sleep is infinetely better than no sleep.

Anyway, good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭yourmano

Bed early and up early is always better in my opinion. All through college I went to bed at half 9 and got up at 5ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I stayed up all night learning maths for paper 1 and it was without a doubt worth it

Advertisement