Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculator in Maths 2 Paper

Options
  • 10-06-2009 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

My son tells me that he forgot to write in the make and model of his calculator in the script for the above paper. he wrote it in OK on the first paper. Will he be penalised?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Saffy

OMG!!!! He did what!!??
    He'll fail the whole leaving cert now!!

nah, its probably fine:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I suppose they'll just assume he didn't use one. don't think they'll notice anyway. the correcter isn't going to go looking at the front of every script to see what calculator people used. he won't be penalised anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

The only reason I remember hearing is that if someone makes a simple calculation mistake, if the calculator make is written down, the examiner can look at how the calculator is laid out, and see how the mistake happened, if you get what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

CyberWaste wrote: »
    The only reason I remember hearing is that if someone makes a simple calculation mistake, if the calculator make is written down, the examiner can look at how the calculator is laid out, and see how the mistake happened, if you get what I mean?

That's not true. It's because certain calculators which allow graphing and solving of equations are banned. Writing your number shows you used a normal calculator, but I doubt examiners check the make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

BLARG wrote: »
    That's not true. It's because certain calculators which allow graphing and solving of equations are banned. Writing your number shows you used a normal calculator, but I doubt examiners check the make.
    Well I wouldnt say thats the main reason, as if you had a calculator that could graph and do quadratics, and you knew they wernt allowed, would you write down what it was called and its make? I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Billydog

Thanks for the replies which have put my mind to rest. It would seem very harsh if he was penalized for a silly omission like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Well I wouldnt say thats the main reason, as if you had a calculator that could graph and do quadratics, and you knew they wernt allowed, would you write down what it was called and its make? I doubt it.

Yeah, it's far more likely that the examiner will look up your calculator online to find its "layout" after every miscalculation.

But yeah, your son will most likely not be punished unless there are alot of dodgy answers written with no work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

He'll be grand, especially if it was included in the first paper that he wrote it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Billydog

Claypigeon wrote: »
    He'll be grand, especially if it was included in the first paper that he wrote it on.

Does the same examiner correct both papers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Billydog wrote: »
    Does the same examiner correct both papers?

Yup they do indeed, would be awful scattered to match up papers otherwise.

Same goes for English P1+2, and for example in the languages German/French, they correct the aural, oral and written altogether. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also in History and Geography the same examiner DEFINITELY corrects your Special Research Topic aswell as your "actual" exam.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

Billydog wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies which have put my mind to rest. It would seem very harsh if he was penalized for a silly omission like this.

Indeed. And considering over 50,000 studens sit the tests, I bet it happens hundreds of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I used 2 calculators. I used the Sharp DAL and the Casio Natural Display. I used the Sharp for most of it but used the Casio for the awkward fractions and surds. Needless to say I wrote down the make and model of the Sharp!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Same goes for English P1+2, and for example in the languages German/French, they correct the aural, oral and written altogether. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also in History and Geography the same examiner DEFINITELY corrects your Special Research Topic aswell as your "actual" exam.

Actually, not so in maths. There are separate teams of examiners for the two papers. (In English and Irish, it's the same examiner that does both.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    I used 2 calculators. I used the Sharp DAL and the Casio Natural Display. I used the Sharp for most of it but used the Casio for the awkward fractions and surds. Needless to say I wrote down the make and model of the Sharp!

Natural display isn't banned to my knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jsilke

nope its not..........its actually the one recommended by most teachers and grind schools.........but those ones with screens the size of tvs that actually draw graphs........yep there banned..........your son should be fine the calculator make facility is purely for exact decimals eg. some calculators value of pi varies slightly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

ironclaw wrote: »
    Natural display isn't banned to my knowledge.

Yup I know but I was hoping I would get more brownie points from the corrector when she sees that I could work out surd fractions without the use of a natural display calculator!

My friend bought a €30 calculator and it could do calculus and integration. It was class. He used to check his answers in class. Really handy. The teacher took it off him to verify that it was allowed and apparently it was! Not sure if he used it in the exam or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    My friend bought a €30 calculator and it could do calculus and integration. It was class. He used to check his answers in class. Really handy. The teacher took it off him to verify that it was allowed and apparently it was! Not sure if he used it in the exam or not.

It's not allowed. (Pretty clear from the rules in the leaflet.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

This isn't true. My maths teacher only corrects one of the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

He'll be grand. I think they only use it to see how you got unknown values.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Actually, yeah, I forgot to write the model of my calculator on Paper 1.
    Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

I forgot to write it on paper 2 as well...!!:pac:
    I was actually worried about it for ages lol had visions of begging the superintendant to open up the bag with the papers to let me rectify my error..! But if you people say it doesn't matter...that's good!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

The system is so flawed, it'd be simple for someone to write down a "normal" calculator but really have a calculator than can do quadratics and graphs. Provided they're of same size and shape, I doubt the superintendent would ever notice. Then again, the work would have to be written.

But anyway, as said, aslong as there isn't loads of dodgy correct answers with no work he'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Ok, I used a CASIO Natural Display, if these are banned calculators will the exam be cancelled???

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

I did the exact same!

I asked the superviser and he said that if was fine. He said that once its on 1 of the papers its fine.

Advertisement