Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed HL Maths?

Options
  • 10-06-2009 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hey I've got a friend who thinks he may have failed HL maths. Was just listening to Countdown to 306 there and the guy on it said that some colleges like UCC offer students a chance to re-sit maths or something along those lines. Does anyone know anything about this? Would be super to get any info. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

that's right NUI Maynooth did it last year along with other colleges. It's advertised in the paper after the CAO offers come. But does it matter if your friend fails maths? There's some courses that you don't need maths for at all.

it's usually on before the end of august i think

http://admissions.nuim.ie/contact/eng_maths_exam_application.shtml (this link is onlyto get into engineering i think but if maths was a requirement for a different course and your friend had failed it then it might be worth checking out if this would be accepted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 favre90

Well it is to him because he doesn't do Irish and therefore would only be able to pass 5 subjects if he has failed maths.

favre90 wrote: »
    Well it is to him because he doesn't do Irish and therefore would only be able to pass 5 subjects if he has failed maths.

passing 5 subjects might be grand if it would get him enough points and he doesnt need maths. What's his first choice on his CAO form?

Arts in UCC is top of the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

pathway33 wrote: »
    passing 5 subjects might be grand if it would get him enough points and he doesnt need maths. What's his first choice on his CAO form?

I wouldn't say so most collages require at least a C3 in 2 higher level subjects and D3's in 4 other subjects. I'm sure there are some exceptions however most of the time this is true.

• Advertisement

Arts in UCC is top of the order.

well the good news is he doesn't need to pass maths for arts in UCC

this is from www.qualifax.ie

Minimum Entry Requirements (ARTS UCC)

Higher C3 in 2 subjects &

Passes in 4 other subjects at Higher or Ordinary level from:

- Irish (from which your friend is exempt)
    - English
    - Another language &
    - 3 other subjects recognised for entry purposes.

Problem is he is down 45 points OUCH! If he can get 335(?) from 5 subjects and the points don't go up is he in?

Isaac702 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say so most collages require at least a C3 in 2 higher level subjects and D3's in 4 other subjects. I'm sure there are some exceptions however most of the time this is true.

yeah good point

6 passes is necessary for UCC arts but as one of these is irish and OP's friend is exempt from irish does this mean he only has to pass 5 subjects?

Pretty sure he'd have to pass 6 subjects anyway. That's what any info on that re-sit thing would be sweet.

Pretty sure he'd have to pass 6 subjects anyway. That's what any info on that re-sit thing would be sweet.

he only has to pass 5 for arts in ucd because they will accept an E in honours if you make up for it with an extra C or B

Candidates must present at lease six subjects selected according to programme requirements and must obtain at least Grade C3, or better, in two subjects on Higher Papers and Grade D3, or better, in remaining four subjects on Ordinary or Higher papers.

One HE will be accepted where the candidate has among his/her other subjects at least 3 HC3 grades, or at least one HC3 and one HB3 grade.

might be the same for UCC??

Advertisement