Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whens the next Irish Fly-In

Options
  • 10-06-2009 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

Seems ages since theres been any events on these shores! IIRC, I remember reading that they're was meant to be one alternating between Irish airports 1 day each week or something, or did I read it wrong!?

I'd love to be flying here more often but there never seems to be much ATC activity which is a shame:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

What network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Vatsim!?

Well, there is a weekly online event but attendance has been poor-ish. (that said most of us ATC have taken up COD, instead!

However there are other events that take place, along with just regular ATC. Girona-Shannon "Emerald Escape" event on at the end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Shamrock883

SRFC, do you mean flying online event or a flyin similar to the birr flyin or where you get to meet the controllers on VATsim in person?

Best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

SRFC, do you mean flying online event or a flyin similar to the birr flyin or where you get to meet the controllers on VATsim in person?

Best

Online flying event sir. Just released I feckin' missed one yesterday!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Simtech

http://virtualairspace.com/index.php

I only discovered this a few days ago. It's an Irish server staffed by Irish controllers who are quite tolerant with people learning and cater for flying in many Irish fields. Check it out, I never flew online before but this is fun!:)

Simtech wrote: »
    http://virtualairspace.com/index.php

I only discovered this a few days ago. It's an Irish server staffed by Irish controllers who are quite tolerant with people learning and cater for flying in many Irish fields. Check it out, I never flew online before but this is fun!:)

Given you already have 2 threads dedicated to promoting this I fear you are involved in its running and have not "just discovered it... :rolleyes:"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Simtech

Given you already have 2 threads dedicated to promoting this I fear you are involved in its running and have not "just discovered it... :rolleyes:"

You can roll your eyes all ya want mate, I've got absolutely nothing to do with those who operate this whatsoever. Your fears are unfounded! I simply thought it might be of interest to the OP. There is so little action on this particular forum that I have wondered in the past if Flight Sim in general was dying a slow death in Ireland. I thought a dedicated Irish server was a good thing. Don't be so quick to jump down a guys' throat!!

Just coz you happen to be a fan of Vatsim doesn't mean the rest of the world is!

Given that vatsim is by far the most popular network, and any impartial opinion will tell you it is by far the best, its not hard to see why I'm part of the majority, pal!

Well if the OP had an interest in having a realistic online experience he could just logon to vatsim any given night!

And, as stated by pclancy in this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055495703
    This isnt your own forum for advertising your own activities or forums, its a place for everyone interested in virtual flying to share stuff and I dont like your attitude towards sdonn in that post. Vatsim is the best solution for anyone wanting to fly online, its much faster, more realistic and more reliable then any MS or Gamespy online solution so people are going to want to use it and recommend it here and they shouldnt be prevented from doing so by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

In fairness to Simtech he has nothing to do with the running of Virtual Airspace. He joined a week or so ago and has been active ever since. He asked me on the forum if I was promoting the site anywhere and I told him I didnt mind him promoting the server anywhere he thought appropriate.

In relation to FrDougals thread, while I cant speak for him, I believe his post was due to frustration as it was two months before he got a reply and when he did the thread was slightly redirected.

Im saddened that Virtual Airspace's early days have not been received well in this forum. For this reason i have not promoted it here myself (apart from a sig link). I built this server and forum for all FSX enthusiasts in Ireland because I felt that we lacked one.

I have the height of respect for VATSIM and the excellent service it provides. I have flown in it many times and admire the level of realism and
    professionalism it provides. There simply is no substitute for its realism.

However I dont think the two environments should really be compared. Virtual Airspace is more aimed at simmers who want to fly in a virtual Ireland but may not have the time or experience to commit to a full flight with procedures etc. (however we try to have as realistic experience as possible) Also any member can open a tower anywhere if they wish and try their hand at controlling to see if it is for them.

The main cause of lag in FSX servers is the FSX voice communications system. During development i have monitored numerous scenarios and found that FSX voice transmissions use an inefficient proportion of bandwidth. I have eliminated this by stopping all internal FSX voice transmissions and providing a stand alone Ventrilo server with a separate host. With the current bandwidth the FSX server can now comfortably cope with up to 50 connections with ample headroom.

Surely there is room for as many networks as we can provide for virtual flying in Ireland and variation is the key. We are a small community in Ireland and are all here in the virtual flying forum for the same reason. I hate to see any conflict as I believe it is unnecessary and unproductive.

Id like to take this opportunity to welcome all boards members to register at Virtual Airspace. As flight simmers this server and forum was built for you. As a member you are free to fly or open a tower where you wish. If you like the experience then come back for some more.

To answer the OP's original question the next Irish Fly-in is tomorrow (Sun 16Aug) at Virtual Airspace sorry for short notice. Heathrow will be open at 2pm (to cater for the afternoon Irish Sea hop) followed by EIDW to recieve the traffic at 3pm onwards. After that numerous towers will open according to submitted flightplans. All details on forum, link in sig below.

Sorry for the long winded reply and thanks for taking the trouble to read it.

“If we worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true really is true, then there would be little hope for advance” Orville Wright 1871-1948

• Advertisement
Advertisement