Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Higher Level notes for next yr?

Options
  • 10-06-2009 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

HI guys,

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in selling on their maths notes. I am going in to LC in Sept, have a crap teacher and was hoping to get some notes worked out examles etc. I have solutions to exam papers.

Thanks,

Reg1

Comments

Oops... It's a pity you didn't get to me 3 hours earlier...

I'm after having one of the best mornings of my life: I've just shredded every single English, geography, Irish and maths note that I had. Such a good feeling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

id have to think about it because i am planning on doing grinds next year pm me your email and ill let you know after the leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Maths....notes?

Who takes notes in maths?! o.O

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Maths....notes?

Good point actually. Buy the revision books and do lots of papers. Much better idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Buy the solutions book off leavingcert.com its by john brennan and it literally saved me this year. Its much better than any kind of notes.

• Advertisement

i think hes looking for people who've gone places where they give you notes like the institute (even though its illegal to sell them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

Buy the solutions book off leavingcert.com its by john brennan and it literally saved me this year. Its much better than any kind of notes.

i agree..but the ring thingy is annoying...lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

Register1 wrote: »
    HI guys,

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in selling on their maths notes. I am going in to LC in Sept, have a crap teacher and was hoping to get some notes worked out examles etc. I have solutions to exam papers.

Thanks,

Reg1

My teacher is amazing. We have a handout for every question on the paper. Each handout is about 20 pages and contains EVERYTHING you need to know for the question. Each section also starts with a sheet of all the past papers q1s q2s etc, so that you don't have to go looking for them. Also have each proof. If you're interested, please send me a PM. There's about 500 pages in all. Seems daunting, but really helpful taking it just a topic a week. For LC, I never revised from the books or revision books. These notes along with the online marking scheme should be all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

No offence Register1, but I think notes in Maths might be a bit pointless.
    Your best bet would be to buy a copy of "Discovering Maths" and work through all the questions.
    When you have a certain area of maths completed (e.g. algebra, trigonometry, statistics) then you can try the exam questions on that particular area.
    I got a great CD last year with the solutions to the last 15 exam papers.
    You should be able to get it in your local bookshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

Sin^2 + Cos^2 = 1
    gimme money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

ironclaw wrote: »
    Buy the revision books and do lots of papers. Much better idea.

I agree. That is what improved my maths no end. I was getting D's in maths until I started doing this and my result started going up to B's. I had a crap teacher too. I bought Mathematics - Suggested solutions. Its a big red book by the Celtic Press and it has all the solutions from 2000 to 2008. Best way to learn maths imo.

EDIT: The rapid revision revision book is the best I think, not full to the gills like most revision books. Its clear and layed out well on A4 size pages. I also bought the thing like a road map too. Really handy aswell.

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    I agree. That is what improved my maths no end. I was getting D's in maths until I started doing this and my result started going up to B's. I had a crap teacher too. I bought Mathematics - Suggested solutions. Its a big red book by the Celtic Press and it has all the solutions from 2000 to 2008. Best way to learn maths imo.

Glad I had it easy. Our teacher also gave us that book if we wanted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Register1

Thanks for replies!

Have being going through Papers myself and have bought solution books.

Just looking to do extra examples and brush up on techniques!

Reg1

BLARG wrote: »
    Sin^2 + Cos^2 = 1
    gimme money.

Except that's wrong...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Have being going through Papers myself

Slow. Down.

Seriously.You have 12 months to go. Put them away. Seriously. Relax, because you'll find you'll run out of papers that have easy to find solutions (its happened me). Take it a year every two ish weeks from Easter next year. Plenty of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Yeah, I wouldn't go killing yourself this early at all at all, enjoy you summer you'll hear enough of the usual BS in september. In terms of notes, if you have a maths book, use it. Know every section inside out THEN move on to exam questions. I was amazed how many people exclusively used exam papers when studying, this will only lead to holes in your knowledge, I wasn't aware of logarithmic differentiation being on the course over a month after my pres, and that is going to come up eventually. If you understand what you are doing you will have achieved more than any 'magic bullet' notes ever could.

After that in terms of exam papers, whoever reccommended one of those celtic press books, they are excellent. I found my brothers one from 1997 - 2004 and it was the best help ever. Just go through the entire exam papers and you will be fine.

You don't want to go through all the exam papers too early, you are better off pacing yourself a bit and keep attempting questions that you have'nt seen before right the way up to the exam. If you burn through the exam papers you will have nothing to challenge yourself with and your critical reasoning and problem solving abilities will become atrophied.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

I highly recommend the revise wise books, I used them and them only!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

HI guys,

Thanks,

Reg1

www.examinations.ie <- Marking Schemes (Solutions and where you get the marks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

No offence Register1, but I think notes in Maths might be a bit pointless.
    Your best bet would be to buy a copy of "Discovering Maths" and work through all the questions.
    When you have a certain area of maths completed (e.g. algebra, trigonometry, statistics) then you can try the exam questions on that particular area.
    I got a great CD last year with the solutions to the last 15 exam papers.
    You should be able to get it in your local bookshop.
    Higher level maths notes can be usefull for quick learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Register1

Thanks again for replies.

No intention of swotting over the summer, just want to be prepared for next year.

Thought this was appropriate to post here as perhaps some people would be finisheed with notes etc.

All notes would be up in smoke come september! ;)

Reg1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

http://www.skoool.ie/examcentre_senior.asp?id=2091

That has all you need really for notes. In the end, the best way to improve maths is by doing loads of questions. That site has all the things you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

HI guys,

Thanks,

Reg1

some guy has done a lot of tutorials to the the 2008 honours paper on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/xplanor

very useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Reilly616 wrote: »

No it's not? ^2 means squared...: P

aine-maire wrote: »
    No it's not? ^2 means squared...: P

It is wrong.

He has sin^2 + cos^2 = 1. Sin^2 what and cos^2 what? That equation is useless without some variable. It's really sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

Iv two A4 copies full of honours maths notes if ya want them!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

My teacher is amazing. We have a handout for every question on the paper. Each handout is about 20 pages and contains EVERYTHING you need to know for the question. Each section also starts with a sheet of all the past papers q1s q2s etc, so that you don't have to go looking for them. Also have each proof. If you're interested, please send me a PM. There's about 500 pages in all. Seems daunting, but really helpful taking it just a topic a week. For LC, I never revised from the books or revision books. These notes along with the online marking scheme should be all you need.

Jesus, how is there 500 pages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Kareir

http://www46.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%28sin%5E2%29%2B%28cos%5E2%29

Wolfram begs to differ, i think...

_Kar.

Wolfram automatically inputs a variable. Sin^2 + cos^2 means absolutely nothing (because you're squaring the sine and cosine of *nothing*), whereas sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) means something. It's a pretty pedantic reason to say it's wrong, but it's wrong nonetheless.

Kareir wrote: »

yeah it implies that its x your talking about, you dont actually have to write the variable but its much neater to write it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Maths....notes?

I took notes in Maths. Piste has them though. Notes are useful, but you can't beat doing problems for learning maths.

Advertisement