Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lady stole my cat(i dont legally own her)

Options
  • 10-06-2009 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I was just havind a conversation about the old lady who stole my cat and started to wonder about how many other ppl this has happened to?also i would like opinions on people who feed other peoples cats that are hanging around
    my story goes like this....my cat went missing so i drove around the park with my car window open passed the old lady on a few occasions calling snowy out the window,beside the old ladies house there is a building site where a few russian and polish buiders used to give me the funniest looks as i was going passed so one day i saw snowy sitting on the scafolding as i was driving i jumped out of the car to get her and the old lady was behind the wall talking to her neighbour from behind her house about how good "beauty" the cat is so i got my knicks in a twist and said thats my"cat wat are you doing?"but i was assured "she only visits she has two homes now"so i was fuming i asked why they were feeding her that she was well looked after i was treated like a mad person who didnt have the right to take her home...but i did i wish that was the end of it but the story is longer...snowy got sick from been givin cows milk etc.so now im moving housepics seat 003.JPG

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sorry to hear you lost your cat. These kind of stories reinforce my theory that cats dont really love us humans! They are users!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

When I was younger we had a dog who everyone loved! He used to do his rounds every day visiting all the neighbours who fed him scraps, the butcher used to save him a bone every few days!! He got really overweight! At the end of the day we had nobody to blame but ourselves for letting him roam like he did!!
    Obviously if your cat is hanging around by other people's houses they will think they are being nice to the cat by feeding it! I know it's inconvenient for you but how are they supposed to know that?? If you don't want your cat roaming around and eating things he's not supposed to then you should keep him in, build an outdoor enclosure or something!!

Our dog was taken by an old man down the road who brought him in fed him and kept him for protection! It took us days to figure out where the dog was and my dad had to knock on the door loads of times to get the dog back, but the old man kept taking him!! So, my dad used to set his alarm for 3am every morning and head off down to the old guys letterbox and start whispering the dogs name through the letterbox, our dog used to go mental and the man would let him out!! After a few nights the man stopped taking him, he obviously valued his sleep more!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 onthemove

*Lees* wrote: »
    When I was younger we had a dog who everyone loved! He used to do his rounds every day visiting all the neighbours who fed him scraps, the butcher used to save him a bone every few days!! He got really overweight! At the end of the day we had nobody to blame but ourselves for letting him roam like he did!!
    Obviously if your cat is hanging around by other people's houses they will think they are being nice to the cat by feeding it! I know it's inconvenient for you but how are they supposed to know that?? If you don't want your cat roaming around and eating things he's not supposed to then you should keep him in, build an outdoor enclosure or something!!

Our dog was taken by an old man down the road who brought him in fed him and kept him for protection! It took us days to figure out where the dog was and my dad had to knock on the door loads of times to get the dog back, but the old man kept taking him!! So, my dad used to set his alarm for 3am every morning and head off down to the old guys letterbox and start whispering the dogs name through the letterbox, our dog used to go mental and the man would let him out!! After a few nights the man stopped taking him, he obviously valued his sleep more!!! :D
    I forgot to add that she is in all the time but i am 5 months pregnant thiis happened before i was twelve weeks i was letting her out just to go toilet because i was afraid to go near the litter at that early stage...the lady used it as an excuse saying she thought she was a stray because it had never been around before(a stray with two collars and a name tag)

I think this has been misinterpreted as a cat being fed but its bit more than that....the builders that were givin me funny looks were laughing because as i drove round they could see down into the garden where the old lady was creeping around feeding the cat to stop her coming out to me so i got up one morning at 7 went over to feed her before she got the chance and one of the builders shouts down"you'll have to get up earlier than that luv"i eventually had to climb up on the scaffolding with food i was 4 nearly 5 months pregnant at this stage to get the cat and the old lady kept shakin the cat food box to encourage the cat up the wall and i fell and twisted my ankle and she did nothing to help me so i got my sister and her friend to get snowy and even though the lady said she was only minding the cat she still came over passed my house to see was she out a few times last week,also the old ladies daughter shouted at me for taking my cat back off her sick mother who doesnt understand yet she understood enough to take her tag off twice,she got annoyed over me buying the second one...i have a 5 year old daughter who loves our cat but she didnt care:confused:

faceman wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you lost your cat. These kind of stories reinforce my theory that cats dont really love us humans! They are users!
    I do have another cat who is more like a dog she rolls over etc.she is not selfish because she was hand reared from four weeks and is the baby ppl have tried to feed her
    but shes a mammys girl unfortunately she had two kittens that she neglected due to her not being very maternal and over domesticated shes neutered now i wouldnt put her through it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I'm having the same problem as you at the moment. One of my cats seems to have found himself a new home:( I am still very worried that he is been looked after properly, but he pops his head in the door for food every day or two. I put up posters im my area, asking people not to feed him a couple of weeks ago, but it hasn't seemed to work!

Also one of my friends was calling into my house one day and saw some kids calling my cat over to them- using the name "Frisky", his name is Oreo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If you get the cat back keep the cat in just wear gloves or get someone else to change the litter tray unless you actually handle the poop (and that's if the cat is carrying the parasite) and then put your hands in your mouth without washing them first nothin will happen.

You can probably have the cat tested for the parasite anyway (can't remember the name of it) not all cats carry it.

If people let their cats out this is what happens, either that or they get hit by a car etc. take the cat back before you move house, if you move house don't get any more cats.

I sound harsh that's because I am so amazed at how many people allow their cats to wander and then wonder why they haven't come home. Do you allow your dogs to wander alone by itself..why aren't cats just as important.

Oh well.

She has no right over the cat either, so if you have any medical reciepts from the vets (vets will have a written description of the cat on your vaccination form) at least you have some proof then.

If you get the cat back keep the cat in just wear gloves or get someone else to change the litter tray unless you actually handle the poop (and that's if the cat is carrying the parasite) and then put your hands in your mouth without washing them first nothin will happen.

You can probably have the cat tested for the parasite anyway (can't remember the name of it) not all cats carry it.

If people let their cats out this is what happens, either that or they get hit by a car etc. take the cat back before you move house, if you move house don't get any more cats.

I sound harsh that's because I am so amazed at how many people allow their cats to wander and then wonder why they haven't come home. Do you allow your dogs to wander alone by itself..why aren't cats just as important.

Oh well.

She has no right over the cat either, so if you have any medical reciepts from the vets (vets will have a written description of the cat on your vaccination form) at least you have some proof then.
    the cat is isured i have the papers to show it but this wasnt a wandering cat i heard off another neighbour that she took the cat and kept it in the cat was missing for two weeks solid to begin with which could have been when she re integrated in to the old ladies surroundings...also snowy loves cows milk so i figured she went in for a look and stayed for the milk i have her back now but i won't be put off having cats because of one incident nobody has ever tried to take bubbles(my baby cat)because she is not all white a lot of people try to take white cats i dont know why tho

I'm having the same problem as you at the moment. One of my cats seems to have found himself a new home:( I am still very worried that he is been looked after properly, but he pops his head in the door for food every day or two. I put up posters im my area, asking people not to feed him a couple of weeks ago, but it hasn't seemed to work!

Also one of my friends was calling into my house one day and saw some kids calling my cat over to them- using the name "Frisky", his name is Oreo!
    you should knock in and ask a few neighbours who is feeding him someone must know,although you can't trust everyone to tell you who it is when ur calling in mention the "terrible ringworm "he has that might bring him back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

Hmm, it proves that you never own a cat, they choose you as handy provider. :rolleyes:

I used to have a cat while still living in a town. That is, I didn't have the cat, she just turned up some day, looked through the kitchen window while I was eating and managed to look cute and hungry. Don't they ever.
    Could never resist a cat. Or a dog.

So I gave her bits and pieces, she came and went, and one day she came with a collar and a piece of paper attached: Where is my cat? Please call xxxx.
    I did call, it turned out to be a neighbour a few houses further on and he told me that the cat once turned up the same way as she turned up at my place. We agreed to "share" the cat. The clever critter found herself two loving homes.

So I told the funny story my next door neighbour and she said: Oh, that cat! She belongs to the lady across the road!
    I went to the lady and it turned out that the cat once turned up ...

I gave up at that stage. I suppose she was really a littler celtic tiger who managed to get herself a huge property portfolio by fooling all the gullible catlovers.

We all were friendly enough to agree to "share" the cat.

So the morale of this story is that you can never prevent a cat to charm herself into another home if you let her roam and if there are people who are willing to be charmed.

A safety measure might be a collar with a little tube attached where you put your address and telephone number. But it seems, OP, that in your case it's a little late for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Your cat is a 'wandering' cat if it's not kept indoors or outdoors in a secure enclosure. If you do not restrict your cat's roaming, you have to deal with the consequences.

Yes, it's obnoxious when people feed another person's animal - and in the case of the cat it can be damaging because cats have fare more specific dietary requirements than dogs. You can also be damn sure that the person feeding your cat won't be shelling out for its vets bills either. But if you don't want someone else feeding your cat, then keep it indoors or build it an enclosure.

As for 'cats are users' - this ignorant mentality contributes to the idea of the domestic cat as a second class pet, a disposable animal that you can expect to be killed on the roads, or by a dog, or to simply disappear one day and never return. This mentality is the reason the pounds don't even keep count of the number of cats they destroy each year - 'more than the dogs' is about as close as you'll get.

I have a large house and five cats who are indoors all of the time. They do not suffer for it. I will allow them restricted outdoor access when I can afford a cat-proof fence around my garden, thereby preventing them from roaming around to kill wildlife, crapping in my neighbour's gardens or spraying urine on their houses, or getting themselves killed or maimed by cars, dogs and the endless list of other things that hurt roaming cats.

OP I sympathise with your frustration, but there's a whole mindset shift that needs to take place with the cat. Yes, the old lady is entirely in the wrong with her behaviour, but you need to realise that the only way you can prevent things happening to your cat is to restrict where she goes and who she sees, much the same way as you'd do with a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

There was this enormous big black hairy cat lying on the rug in front of my aunt's fire. When you prodded it in the ribs you could not feel ribs, just fat. The thing lived a few doors away and was fed there, my aunt feeds it, so does the whole estate. Cats are territorial creatures - they always like to have a plan B-Z. It is up to the current 'owner' to continually strive to provide the best facilities so that the choosy creature will favour him/her with its custom. The human needs the cat more than the cat needs it. Remember, if a cat could talk, it would lie.

i had a bit of a soul search after i took snowy back,i thought i should let her go because she was a wanderer before i got her she was a stray looking for a home so i adopted her but not just from my garden from a local paper with an add that she was in the office they had been trying to trace her owner for weeks and decided to rehome her so i took her and left a number if the owner ever turned up...i searched for the owner myself for weeks with no look then it occured to me maybe she had been away years as she was in a state...so i went back years the spca site to see had anyone lost a cat before finally finding the two sisters whos cat had gone missing 2 years before i had her and i had her a while before finding this post...so i rang the number and told them i had a cat that i thought was theirs and found out that she had travelled from dublin to wicklow and her real name before i got her was also snowy,i asked them to come identify her and they were so happy to know she was alive but didnt want her back as thay were out all day and couldnt look after her but i would have given her back and been upset about it.I know she is not my cat she is a cat that lives with me and i will be forever licking furry cat ass(not literally)to keep her here unless i learn to let go:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

when we lived in galway i tok in a stray kitten. he lived with us for 3 years there and another year when we moved to the country. well fed, doted on, given the run of the house etc... he was never great with the kids but we didn't get another cat as we didn't think he'd like the company so basically had a family pet that attacked half the family if they got too close!

then last year the little sod moved out as he was being given a better deal elsewhere... he still comes around occasionally and he's bloody overweight now... whoever took him is killing him with kindness :mad:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

As for 'cats are users' - this ignorant mentality contributes to the idea of the domestic cat as a second class pet, a disposable animal that you can expect to be killed on the roads, or by a dog, or to simply disappear one day and never return.

I'm not a cat parson, but as far as I can see with the cats I know, cats kept indoors become more "dog like." By which I mean they seem to have a much greater connection to their owners. I'd be in favour of legislation that requires cat owners to take the same responsibility for cats that dog owners are supposed to. It's not all that long ago since it was common in Ireland for people to let their dogs wander and (most) people managed to come around to the idea of only letting their dogs out in controlled circumstances. People can manage it with cats too.

I think the best argument for indoor cats is the massive disparity in the average age of indoor and outdoor cats, about 4 times longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Yeah you better stop him from roaming or something like this will happen.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

you should probably stick ur cat on a leash and tie to something heavy. ur cat wont wander around then and it can still get all the fresh air it needs in the garden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

snowy is gorgeous. That old lady is a right ould cheeky fecker. At least ya got her back.

Ass wrote: »
    you should probably stick ur cat on a leash and tie to something heavy. ur cat wont wander around then and it can still get all the fresh air it needs in the garden
    i do feel terrible she loves it outside she sits at the window pinin for the outdoors but im going to be movin somewhere with big garden soon;my friends mother used to keep her cat who was exactly the same as snowy on a lead in the back garden fearing someone would take it!i'm not doing that i think if i let her out she would stay but that woman comes down callin her and bringin food..the woman actually sed she prefered it in her house and i lost it and shouted at her that she didnt seem to mind life with us too [EMAIL="f!@#ing"]f!@#ing[/EMAIL] much till you started feeding her i have respect for my elders but only genuinely confused elders and she is far from it,i dont buy the innocent little old lady thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sage'sMama

Why not get her micro-chipped and then at least you will have the reassurance that no matter what she will be returned to you. Get her tag to say that the cat is micro-chipped aswell. But unless your willing to have an enclosure or fence made to keep her confined to a small area then i recommend keeping her indoors and allowing her out on a harness and lead with you keeping an eye on her. Did it with my cat that was raised indoor's in an apartment for three years. I got a harness and lead plus an enxtendable lead plus the metal screw you put in the ground (for dogs). She loved it and got used to it really quick. You should at least try it and then you get the reassurance that she can't wander and she's happy to be outside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

LovelyTom wrote: »
    LOL I KNOW:eek:its not the same cat tho but it does just show that people do try to take the white ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

Let's face it, cats are dogs....

Advertisement