Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Request] Where to buy carageenan?

Options
  • 10-06-2009 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anybody can help me. I need to get my hands on powdered carageenan, it's used as a gelling agent in foods. I've managed to find it in it's raw form (seaweed!) but need powder or gel.

If any of you have seen it around Dublin i'd love to know where.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

pkeno wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm wondering if anybody can help me. I need to get my hands on powdered carageenan, it's used as a gelling agent in foods. I've managed to find it in it's raw form (seaweed!) but need powder or gel.

If any of you have seen it around Dublin i'd love to know where.

Thanks

I've only ever seen it in it's raw form but if a shop has it as seaweed then they should know if there's a powder version available. I have used the 'raw' version as a thickener and it works perfectly well. If you were making a mousse or something similar you just remove the seaweed before it sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Does it *have* to be powdered carrageen?

I'm sure I've seen agar-agar at the Food Co-op in Newmarket and also a thing called kuzu (kudzu), which seems to be a thickening agent.

Or arrowroot?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

pkeno wrote: »
    but need powder or gel.

My mam used to make it - use the actual seaweed to make the gel yourself - carageen mostly dissolves on boiling. You just strain it afterwards.

"Irish Moss

Irish moss has traditionally is widely used in the food industry, as a strong gelling agent, e.g. in ice cream making. Irish moss can be chewed as it is purchased, but most people prefer rinse this herb two or three times in cold or tepid water, the Irish moss is then left to soak for 10 to 15 minutes, before transfer to a saucepan (still in the soaking medium) and then placed over a low heat until the sea vegetable almost totally dissolves, then if required it can be strained. Then when the Irish moss has been prepared ingredients can be added, the resultant mixture, then be placed in a mold and transferred to a fridge to solidify.

Irish moss is a natural alternative to gelantine ideal for vegetarians and vegans alike.

Generally, as a rule of thumb, a half cup will thicken four to five cups of dilute liquid. Irish moss can therefore, be used as a natural gelling agent in soups and stews, gravies, salad dressings (used in conjunction with a dulse garnish) or in cakes and pies. Irish moss tastes especially delicious when a small amount of Irish moss jelly is combined with coca as a night cap drink.

A decoction of Irish moss can be made after soaking 1 oz of the herb in cold or tepid water for 15 to 20 minutes, then boiling in 4 to 5 pints of milk or alternatively water if desired, for 10 to 15 minutes. The mixture produced should then be strained and liquorice, or lemon can be added, and sweetened to taste, an especially appetising way to ingest Irish moss when combating colds or flues, when the sufferer appetite is often suppressed.
    Interestingly I remember reading some where that sea vegetables aid in the digestion of beans when cooked with them."

and

"The one thing I would note is that carageenan reacts with the protein in milk, causing it to get thicker. When using it in non-dairy recipes one would need to double it to get the same thickening power. This is why you find carageenan frequently in milk products."

More reading at https://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/archive/index.php/t-255044.html
    and
    http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/carrageen

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

I have seen it in most health food shops. I think Nourish has it and Hummingbird in Artane Castle has it too. I also think the health food shop in Pavillions has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EthicRanger

Nice description, from health guru, i was having an eye for long time:
    http://store.renegadehealth.com/Kev-s-Super-Nutritious-Carrageen-Irish-Moss-50g-p312.html

Eviecus wrote: »
    I have seen it in most health food shops. I think Nourish has it and Hummingbird in Artane Castle has it too. I also think the health food shop in Pavillions has it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

"Irish Moss

Irish moss has traditionally is widely used in the food industry, as a strong gelling agent, e.g. in ice cream making. Irish moss can be chewed as it is purchased, but most people prefer rinse this herb two or three times in cold or tepid water, the Irish moss is then left to soak for 10 to 15 minutes, before transfer to a saucepan (still in the soaking medium) and then placed over a low heat until the sea vegetable almost totally dissolves, then if required it can be strained. Then when the Irish moss has been prepared ingredients can be added, the resultant mixture, then be placed in a mold and transferred to a fridge to solidify.

http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/carrageen

Trying not to rain on anyones party but food companies have stopped using carageenan over the last decade following concerns about a possible link between Carageenan and stomach cancer from recent long term studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Trying not to rain on anyones party but food companies have stopped using carageenan over the last decade following concerns about a possible link between Carageenan and stomach cancer from recent long term studies.

Do you have any links to back your statement up?

Advertisement