Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

subbing

Options
  • 10-06-2009 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭

Hi I am starting an arts degree in Mary I in September. The subjects I am going to do are Irish, English, Religion and Geography. Can anyone tell me (without considering the current teaching jobs crisis) Is it POSSIBLE to sub in secondary and/or primary schools while completing the degree (on days off, college hols etc)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭tangerinepuppet

It must be possible, because the PGDE Handbook states that only up to 50 hours of teaching experience obtained before completion of the BA can count towards points for application to the PGDE. Whether you would be allowed sole responsibility for a class for any length of time without the BA completed, I'm not sure (given that the BA and not the PGDE is the primary qualification for teaching) - but maybe you can practise under supervision or something. Nice combination of subjects you have, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It definitely is possible. My sister subbed for a week in a primary school teaching 5th class while she was in her second year of an Irish and Geography degree. She minds the children of a teacher in the school though so she had contacts. I would imagine it would be quite difficult to find sub work but there is no harm in looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭beemurf

chrislad wrote: »
    Hi I am starting an arts degree in Mary I in September. The subjects I am going to do are Irish, English, Religion and Geography. Can anyone tell me (without considering the current teaching jobs crisis) Is it POSSIBLE to sub in secondary and/or primary schools while completing the degree (on days off, college hols etc)

Which subjects will you be qualified to teach (off topic I know sorry)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Thanks everyone for the helpful info!! In response to what subjects I would be qualified to teach, it depends on which 2 I keep after second year. I would hope to to keep Irish and religion. I would love to hear from anyone who has studied Irish in college, how the found it etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭J.R.

It is possible but in present climate & especially next year will be extremely difficult to find subbing.

The school is obliged to find a suitably qualified person for the position. Failing that, they can hired the next most qualified suitable person (usually has a 3rd level degree) and if unavailable then can hire a person with a leaving cert with a good Irish result.

In years past and there was a severe shortage of teachers many people could secure subbing work.........now with recession many teachers are jobless and will be applying for those subbing jobs and will be fully qualified with experience.

It can be easier to get subbing in remote areas where subs are unavailable but in large towns and cities there will be stiff competition.

Even if a school hires an unqualified sub. if no qualified person is available there are obliged to continue searching for a suitably qualified teacher and to let the sub go if they find one.

At the end of each week when making returns to the DES the school must answer the question on whether they have made every effort to find a suitably qualified person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Thanks J.R that info was very helpful. As I said in my post I understand the current jobs crisis, I just wanted to see if it was possible. Thanks again

Advertisement