Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you purchase an iPhone contract at €30 per month?

Options
  • 10-06-2009 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

So, the new iPhone 3GS is coming to O2 Ireland on the 26th of June.

And what of the old stock of 3G iPhones?

For me, in these recessionary times, I could not justify spending €45 a month on what is essentially a toy. Which got me thinking.

If O2 were to offer the current 3G iPhone at €30 a month, for the 18 month contract, would you buy it?

I'm thinking €30 for the 3G, €40 for 3GS and so on up.

iPhone 3G for €30 a month - what say you? 44 votes

No, still too expensive
    0%
    Yes, that is about as much as I am willing to pay
    29%
    SarnStringccDublinWritermikemacNeo#sinkGumboFingleberriespleasant Co.NewApproachLumiOmeceron 13 votes
    Unlocked, on a different carrier for me
    70%
    StephendamnyanksTom DunneCouch Potatophreaksuper_furryzAbbojimmycrackcormMimikyuMarkjsca1NiSmOethernetSimon201Dman001vinnycoyneVictor_Mrc28devoidsolidTannylanSpud83 31 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Same tariff as their other phones i.e. roll on your minutes per month, then yes.
    Different terms for the iPhone? No, they can sod off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Well, I already have a 3G but if I didn't I would consider it. I bought mine second hand because I wasn't willing to be tied into a ridiculous €45/mth contract for 18 months. I spend less than €25 a month on a SIM-only O2 contract with my iPhone and have yet to go outside my free minutes/250MB data. As an added bonus, I can sod off elsewhere with only 30 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

I would take the now old iphone 3g 8gb off their hands for 30 per month for 12 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I hope somebody with influence in O2 is reading this.

*waves at Daryll*

Looks like €30 a month would be popular enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Yep I would absolutely. I've wanted this since the first iPhone or even at €35 a month. This has been the only thing the only thing holding me back from getting one.

Quick question. If I use someone on O2 gets an upgrade to an iPhone, can I take the iPhone off them and stick a PAYG sim into it and they use their sim in their old phone? I'mm pretty sure I can do this but I just want to double check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Tom Dunne wrote: »

*waves at Daryll*

For me, its what you get for the 30 quid that important, Id have no problem leaving 3 and joining o2 on the a 45/month jobbie if i got a bit extra. Eg. on 3, I pay 29 euro for 150 anytime mins, but I also get a free 150 mins to call other 3 customers..since my other half is on 3, thats basically 300 mins I get as I use them all.

If 02 were to give me an extra 175 02 to 02 mins in the 45 euro plan this would benefit them in 2 ways.

1. I would move to o2

2. I would convince my other half to move to o2 also, so we could take advantage of the extra 02 to 02 calls

*waves at Daryll*

Yeah I would like to see his view on this and see if it would be a possibilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Yes, & I think if I stamp my feet a little O2 will give me a free iPhone & line rental free for a year....

I'm just after relising the rediculous price O2 UK are charging for the iPhone. It is well above what they were charging for the last gen iPhone and compared to what they cost in the US. How can they justify those costs? I hope it won't be the same case here. I absolutly hope nobody in the UK buys it as they are being ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Stephen wrote: »
    Well, I already have a 3G but if I didn't I would consider it. I bought mine second hand because I wasn't willing to be tied into a ridiculous €45/mth contract for 18 months. I spend less than €25 a month on a SIM-only O2 contract with my iPhone and have yet to go outside my free minutes/250MB data. As an added bonus, I can sod off elsewhere with only 30 days notice.

Is that sim-only contract something they've always offered? Never heard of it before, how does it work?

• Advertisement

Dman001 wrote: »
    I'm just after relising the rediculous price O2 UK are charging for the iPhone. It is well above what they were charging for the last gen iPhone and compared to what they cost in the US. How can they justify those costs?

Welcome to the world of economics.

US market: 250 million
    UK market: 70 million
    Irish market: 4.5 million

'nuff said.

Welcome to the world of economics.

US market: 250 million
    UK market: 70 million
    Irish market: 4.5 million

'nuff said.

Its not as bad as you think.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/packages/packages-details.jsp?q_package=sku3790236

Scroll down to the end of the above link to where is says 'voice features'..according to this, at&t charge you $4.99/month to use voice dialing!!That really brings a new meaning to taking the piss.!!

So, if you want at iphone 3gs 16gb, the handset may be cheaper ($199), but the cheapest monthly plan is $75(53.35 Euro)/month (inc voice dialing!) and that includes zero texts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Also, in the US, you are charged for incoming calls and texts!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

You know, I'd never even consider getting it on contract with o2, the pricing and length of contract are deal breakers.

I'll more than likely buy it unlocked, and go with 3 with a data add on.

mobius42 wrote: »

Is that definitely the case for the iPhone?

Not all plans in the US charge for incoming calls/texts.

mobius42 wrote: »

haha yeah i forgot about that, how does that work exactly, is it a few cent per call received or is it a few cent per minute per call received? Jeez, so if you sign up to the $75 plan, use up all your mins, but dont go over, your bill will be likely over $100 when you factor in charges for voice/texts received?Nasty

Is that sim-only contract something they've always offered? Never heard of it before, how does it work?

Dunno if they've always offered it, but essentially the same as any other phone contract except they don't supply the phone, just a SIM card. I supply the iPhone. The cheapest SIM-only tarriff is €15 a month and I add about €7.50 to that for a data bundle.

Interesting, didn't know that existed. What do you get for the €15 and for the €7.50 date bundle? Thanks

50 minutes any network calls and 50 texts for the €15. 250MB data for the €7.50 (or thereabouts, might be 10c either way in the difference). Contract is a rolling 30 days so leaving is easy. I think they offer 1GB for about €15 but I've never even gotten close to going over the 250MB since I use iTunes on my PC or wifi on the iPhone to download anything large.

That's pretty good, might go for that, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

How can people possibly go for the lowest price plan?
    I mean you get minimal minutes and even less SMS!

I'm personally on the highest tarrif, and I also have the 20euro txt add on, and with my calls to the uk and Europe my bill is in or around 160 a month, and I use all my minutes and txts!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

eeloe wrote: »
    How can people possibly go for the lowest price plan?

We don't use our phones as much as you?

Personally I'd prefer it if they were more flexible with their pricing plan. I text WAY more than I ring people. I use about €40-50 credit with about 90% of that going on texts.

Advertisement