Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping

Options
  • 10-06-2009 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

HI

I'm sorry this is not a moho question, but can anybody recommend a beach campsite, any part of the country really. We want somewhere dog friendly and quiet. We don't really need any fancy facilities like campers kitchens or showers. Just somewhere quiet, private and relaxed with easy access to the beach for Us and our dog.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

http://www.camping-ireland.ie/caravan-parks/camping.php?id=36

(no dogs in July and August though)
    Lovely place, been there a few times, never an issue with the dogs (wasn't there in July or August obviously) just use the beach either side of the campsite

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah peasant, I say any part of the country and you go looking for the furthest possible place for me. Damn you making me want to drive to Galway for the sake of 1 night. :mad: :P ;) (I suppose we could always drive friday evening)

It does look lovely, had you your dogs off lead on the beach? Or will I need to keep him on. We're planning on teaching him to swim, or at least encourage him into the sea with us. (brrr!)

Was it relatively quiet when you went?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Ah peasant, I say any part of the country and you go looking for the furthest possible place for me. Damn you making me want to drive to Galway for the sake of 1 night. :mad: :P ;) (I suppose we could always drive friday evening)

It does look lovely, had you your dogs off lead on the beach? Or will I need to keep him on. We're planning on teaching him to swim, or at least encourage him into the sea with us. (brrr!)

Was it relatively quiet when you went?

I thought weren't allowed on beaches??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

When we were there it was no problem to let the dogs off the lead. The beach is big enough to go out of the way of most of the people there.

But regulations may have changed since. A lot of places are tightening down on dogs on the beach these days, so maybe best check in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

its a bit far for one night but any longer and Achill would be an option.
    There is another campsite on achill but I havent been there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

If you can make it to Waterford, which alas has become a camper-unfriendly county in general, there a great spot for letting dogs loose to have fun in the sand-dunes, swim in the sea, vainly chase rabbits, have a BBQ (you, not the dogs...), etc near Ring - details in my post here:

Its wild camping, not a campsite as such so it's not supervised or anything.
    db.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

85 miles from Kildare to Rosslare then you could try St.Margarets Caravan Park, beside sandy beach.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭blue42

you haveto keep your dog on a lead while in renvile...its because the owner has sheep in the ajoining fields, lovely place though..i go there every year.

Well my last camping trip was cancelled due to last minute commitments, then I could go last weekend - more bloody commitments. Ah to be single and not have a man in my life with all of these commitments. :rolleyes: Anyway, onwards and upwards.
    dowtchaboy wrote: »
    If you can make it to Waterford, which alas has become a camper-unfriendly county in general, there a great spot for letting dogs loose to have fun in the sand-dunes, swim in the sea, vainly chase rabbits, have a BBQ (you, not the dogs...), etc near Ring - details in my post here:

Its wild camping, not a campsite as such so it's not supervised or anything.
    db.
    Is wild camping legal? I don't know if it is or not and the last thing I want is to set up tent, start bbq, open a bottle wine then have to move on. :( We were almost kicked out of a campsite once, the 2 of us went down, and coincidencently we met 2 of our friends, the manager came down and said he didn't accept groups and tried to kick us out, but this was at 9 at night, we all had had a drink with our diner and couldn't drive. :eek:
    bido wrote: »
    85 miles from Kildare to Rosslare then you could try St.Margarets Caravan Park, beside sandy beach.;)
    I was looking there actually online. Is it a busy beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Is wild camping legal? I don't know if it is or not and the last thing I want is to set up tent, start bbq, open a bottle wine then have to move on.

If they make wild camping illegal I am leaving Ireland! By the way on this forum wild camping means overnighting in a campervan, not pitching a tent on a bit of grass of unknown ownership!
    I have never been asked to move on, or any comment made, or felt unwelcome with the exception of last year when a wanker in a new Dublin reg Mercedes decided that a public pier on the Sheepshead penninsula in Cork was for him and his Family's exclusive use and walked back to his car and blew his horn aggressively at us as we carefully maneuvered in the tight space. We ignored him and walked our dog and had a cuppa before moving elsewhere.

If they made wild camping illegal, what would those sensitive souls, who are never named on this forum but whose Ancient Traditions and Way Of Life involve camping anywhere they want, do? You would have quite a lobby of do-gooders behind you in Court.........:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

strand hill or rosses point both practically on the beach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Might be a bit late, and a bit far, but in case anyones looking at this for ideas in the future theres a great campsite right at a beach in Caherdaniel on the ring of Kerry. Nice pub on the beach aswell owned by a local family. Just my tuppence :)

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Might be a bit late, and a bit far, but in case anyones looking at this for ideas in the future theres a great campsite right at a beach in Caherdaniel on the ring of Kerry. Nice pub on the beach aswell owned by a local family. Just my tuppence :)
    Thanks, we're plannin on doing a long weekend in kerry soon so will prob make that a place to visit.

Thanks for the suggestion of St margarets beach. It's lovely. (but everyone was in bed by 10pm :confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Hi Helena check my website link below for dog friendly accommodation in ireland.

http://www.staydoggy.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

paddyb wrote: »
    its a bit far for one night but any longer and Achill would be an option.
    There is another campsite on achill but I havent been there

+1 for Achill. I'm posting this from Keel right now... travelled here form Kildare and it took about 4 hours

My Boxer dog is here panned out beside me from beach walking and swimming... great quiet spot

Advertisement