Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

college requirements

Options
  • 10-06-2009 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Just wondering if a colllege requires you to have a subject eg a pass in a laboratory science subject at higher or ordinary level , do you have to count it towards your points or do you just have to have it ?

Thanks in advance for any help
    damien

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

It depends really. I think most colleges will have an entry requirement on their website.
    Alternatively: www.qualifax.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Have to have it, don't need to have used it for points if you have the required grade in it regardless
    MrPirate wrote: »
    It depends really. I think most colleges will have an entry requirement on their website.
    Alternatively: www.qualifax.ie

That is not true, no course requires that you use x subject for points to get in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

you have to have the points AND the required grade in required subjects
    (whether the subject was used towards the points or not)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

star-pants wrote: »
    you have to have the points AND the required grade in required subjects
    (whether the subject was used towards the points or not)

He's asking whether you have to have counted a subject for points for it to be classed as "passed" or having a HC3 in it for requirements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye - that's sort of what I said, you need the required grades in the required subjects along with the required points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

If it says you say, need a HC3 in Physics, but it's your 7th worst subject (ie it doesn't count towards your points), it's still fine. You just need to have it. How you get your points is unrelated. (Ie, you could take your points from a different year's sitting of the LC even.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Damien671

Thanks for all the replies.
    At the moment im doing honours physics but I need a higher or ordinary pass, so from what ye have said I think I can drop to pass and fulfil the requirements but because its my worst subject i can count others instead
    Damien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

Damien671 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies.
    At the moment im doing honours physics but I need a higher or ordinary pass, so from what ye have said I think I can drop to pass and fulfil the requirements but because its my worst subject i can count others instead
    Damien
    grrr you get to drop to pass physics......
    really really wish I could do that:(

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

Just wondering if you have to include Irish, English and Maths when calculating your points?
    Because I think I'll get better points in OL French than I will in HL Maths.
    I don't need French for my course but I do need Maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Damien671

Antamojo, I dont think you have to include any subject for points if you have six other subjects, but you still have to pass them or get whatever grade the course you are appplying for requires.
    eg some engineering courses require a HC3 in maths and you need this to do the course but you dont have to count this for points if you have six better subjects. However, if you dont meet these requirements then you cant do the course

• Advertisement
Advertisement