Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rent allowance

Options
  • 09-06-2009 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

does anyone know how much is rent allowance for a single person in shared accomodation per week??

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jakey4000

It depends on the area you live in.

There are different rent caps for each area. The rent has to be below the rent cap and then you pay €24 yourself.

You can see the new rent caps here
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_supplement

So say you're sharing in Dublin and the rent is €150 a week, thats above the rent cap €92 so you wont get rent allowance.

Say the rent is €92, you pay €24 yourself a week, and you get €68 a week rent allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fishface

I am looking for some information. I recently applied for rent allowance. I moved to Dublin a few months ago with the hope of finding work. I am living in a one bed apartment with a friend. I know this probably sounds dodgy but he has the bedroom and I have my bedroom space in the large sitting room. At the moment it's fine but obviously not a permanent situation. I cannot afford to move anywhere else with deposit and month in advance. So I have been paying money from my JA everyweek to my friend. The CWO came to visit and said that the situation was not good. And it would look like a couples situation. However she did seem pretty happy leaving and said that she didn't feel like it was a couples situation but that it might not satisfy health regulations or something. I got a letter today from the housing authority saying that I am in a position to provide accommodation from my own resources and have no long term need for Social Housing.
    I am awaiting a reply from my CWO about my situation as she needs to pass on all of the information to her superior and then get back to me on that decision.
    Any help or advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

jakey4000 wrote: »
    It depends on the area you live in.

There are different rent caps for each area. The rent has to be below the rent cap and then you pay €24 yourself.

There's also a deduction of 8% of the balance.

BTW, sublets were excluded a few years back (just when I moved into one!).

Advertisement