Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 UK Customer Backlash

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

FFS, whats with most iphone users (not all - im gonna be one soon myself!) thinking they are somehow special preferred customers. So o2 have a new handset, why should they cancel everyones contracts or give out upgrades. When people bought the 3G they knew they were entering a contract.

EDIT: The 3Gs isnt that far ahead of the 3G, if i owned a 3G i wouldnt be too pushed to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Agreed, I have the 3G and couldnt justify spending €300+ for the extra features.

If you are within contract you dont have a case for getting an upgrade but it is nice if you do get one. I wouldnt be complaining if they told me no within contract.

On the otherhand, I totally agree with the other complaints over O2 charging £15+ to use tethering. They will not allow you use your existing 1Gb bandwidth and are forcing customers to pay for 3Gb. It works out to be twice as expensive as some alternative data plans in the UK.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/internet.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Don't like it, don't buy it. Plenty of other choice out there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Stee wrote: »
    FFS, whats with most iphone users (not all - im gonna be one soon myself!) thinking they are somehow special preferred customers. So o2 have a new handset, why should they cancel everyones contracts or give out upgrades. When people bought the 3G they knew they were entering a contract.

EDIT: The 3Gs isnt that far ahead of the 3G, if i owned a 3G i wouldnt be too pushed to upgrade.

The issue people have I imagine is the secrecy around launch dates. If someone bought an iPhone only a month or 2 ago and the answer in the shop was "We dont know when the next iPhone will be out" then that really is just 2 fingers to the consumer.

Well officially they do not know until Apple goes public. Everyone was guessing that the iPhone would be updated but that was only a guess. I've seen so many Apple rumoured products pulled at last minute. So much for the 3Gs FM transmitter that was definitely going to be as of last week!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

Said it before and I'll say it again, the iPhone 3G was heavily subsidised by the monthly bill in your 18 month contract. If O2 allowed you to upgrade with 6 months left, they'd be making a loss.

The reason it was different with the iPhone>iPhone 3G upgrade was because the iPhone 2G wasn't subsidised by the bill

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Said it before and I'll say it again, the iPhone 3G was heavily subsidised by the monthly bill in your 18 month contract. If O2 allowed you to upgrade with 6 months left, they'd be making a loss.

And yet they won't unlock it after you've paid for it over 18 months with the heavy bills. They can't have it every way. Actually they can. My mistake.:D

Going on the UK pricing which was released, the new 3Gs iPhone is not heavily subsidised. By no means would they be making a loss, just not making as much as they envisaged but then again if someone has a min of 12mths done it is worth their while to lock them into another contract. The benefits outweigh any potiential losses in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

faceman wrote: »
    The issue people have I imagine is the secrecy around launch dates. If someone bought an iPhone only a month or 2 ago and the answer in the shop was "We dont know when the next iPhone will be out" then that really is just 2 fingers to the consumer.

There is no secrecy.

IPhones are updated in June, and iPods in September. Desktop and Laptops are refreshed throughout the year with the biggest ones normally occurring in Jan/Feb though this may change as apple have stopped attending the macworld event around this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Going on the UK pricing which was released, the new 3Gs iPhone is not heavily subsidised. By no means would they be making a loss, just not making as much as they envisaged but then again if someone has a min of 12mths done it is worth their while to lock them into another contract. The benefits outweigh any potiential losses in that case.

How can you say that? It's 'free'* on the 18 month contract vs £440 on the payg.

*free of course meaning you eventually pay it.

• Advertisement

They have increased the prices of the new handsets. http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/paymonth.html

18 Month Contracts with bottom two tarriffs
    16Gb now... £184.98
    32Gb now... £274.23

And thats in Pounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

They have increased the prices of the new handsets. http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/paymonth.html

18 Month Contracts with bottom two tarriffs
    16Gb now... £184.98
    32Gb now... £274.23

And thats in Pounds!

Ouch. I'm glad I got my 16gig 3G before this one came out. It was a lot cheaper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There is no secrecy.

IPhones are updated in June, and iPods in September. Desktop and Laptops are refreshed throughout the year with the biggest ones normally occurring in Jan/Feb though this may change as apple have stopped attending the macworld event around this time.

Show me where on the O2 or Apple site that it is transparent for the consumer when an update is due or any preview that a new phone is imminent.

You cant because they dont.

Advertisement