Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teaching tips??

Options
  • 09-06-2009 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

anybody got any experienced tips on how to gain respect in the classroom as a new teacher. . i hope to get some sort of subbing this year and it will al be new to me:rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

For gods sake do not go in there and try to be friends with them. You will most likely get cruicified if you try that. You have to be quite stern for the first few weeks and maybe then relax a bit with them. If they are misbehaving early on for you then you will have to make an example of one pupil as a warning to the rest. Always follow through with threats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

For gods sake do not go in there and try to be friends with them. You will most likely get cruicified if you try that. You have to be quite stern for the first few weeks and maybe then relax a bit with them. If they are misbehaving early on for you then you will have to make an example of one pupil as a warning to the rest. Always follow through with threats

+1 on this

Never hand out lines/detentions, unless you are prepared to chase them up for them. Be very careful about what you 'threaten' them with, as you have to follow through on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭J.R.

Treat all fairly & equally.........kids have a great sense of justice!

Don't just concentrate or look out for those misbehaving.......don't avoid or tolerate bad behaviour but at the same time always look out for good behaviour, highlight it when noticed and praise it in front of others.

e.g...... if you begin to talk to explain a topic and 3/4 continue talking, interrupting lesson, rather than hone in on those instead select those who are sitting attentively behaving. ..........'I am delighted with the way Johnny, Pat, Jane & Mary behave as soon as I start to explain a topic....I want everybody to look at the way they are sitting quietly, arms crossed and paying attention'......the good kids behaving are beaming with pride and within 30 seconds all the class will be mimicing the good ones sitting quietly with arms crossed.....no shouting, no blood pressure and the lesson continues on a good note!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Don't try to be their friends, remember, you have enough of those.

Be fair.

Always follow through anything, good or bad, you say you will do.

Be consistent.

You are there to teach but if it's not somewhat interesting to you it surely won't be to them so change your approach. Often having you talking or doing all the time is not the best, they switch off, get them working together in groups, specific aims and time period.

• Advertisement
Advertisement