Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Log Book Query...Inaccurate

Options
  • 09-06-2009 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,
    My wife bought a car at the now out of business westland motors a few years ago. Now we have decided to sell the car, I have just noticed that the details on the log book do not tally with the car itself. Wrong colour and model yet Reg. is correct and make and year. We have tested(NCT) the car twice since she bought it. Thought this would have been picked up by the test centre. Unsure how to proceed from here...How serious a problem is this, have we been ripped off?...Gards?

Any advice much appreciated
    FFish

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Can you give us more details frogfish? What exactly is wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 frogfish

The Model of the car is wrong on Logbook, and the colour of the car.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

if it says for example peugeot 307 when it should say 407, then you need to get that changed.
    Colour wise, if it has basically the right colour, it should be ok.

Thanks, the logbook says gold and the car is silver. Will we have to do this before we sell it? Sorry but do you know who best to contact to rectify the problem, and do you think there may have been foul play involved? This is just a pain we could have done without....hard enough to sell a car at the present moment :)

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

You need to get on to the tax office about it really. They usually just give you out a form (you can collect one from a garda station also) and just fill it out with the right colour and model on the new form and they update the information and send you a new book!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do the VINs match?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

frogfish wrote: »
    Thanks, the logbook says gold and the car is silver. Will we have to do this before we sell it? Sorry but do you know who best to contact to rectify the problem, and do you think there may have been foul play involved? This is just a pain we could have done without....hard enough to sell a car at the present moment :)

Thanks again

I would check what the manufacturer calls the colour. Ie. I was selling a Hyundai Tuscon that I thought was Gold, but it was actually called Leaf Silver or the likes.

As for the model, can you not tell us what model it is/should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,824 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Actually just noticed an issue with my own when I was renewing the tax. It's down as 3290 GVW, when it should be 3500. The van itself was imported as a Transit 330, but the guy I bought it off said he converted it to a 350 by adding extra springs (which he said was all that was different). I definitely read somewhere, maybe on the registration book, that it was written as a 350, but just noticed the weight at 3290 the other day :( Lady in tax office said I'd have to go down to revenue office for them to inspect it. Not sure if they'd know what weight it could hold by just looking at it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

MYOB wrote: »
    Do the VINs match?

+1

This could be a more serious issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Seems really weird, I would get it checked out asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

MYOB wrote: »
    Do the VINs match?

Good question and I have just started a thread here before I read your post

I would check what the manufacturer calls the colour. Ie. I was selling a Hyundai Tuscon that I thought was Gold, but it was actually called Leaf Silver or the likes.

As for the model, can you not tell us what model it is/should be?
    Went to tax office about it....they did not seem too concerned. Told me next time I go to tax it ask them to change the details. Sounds all pretty lax to me.
    VIN numbers and cc are all correct. Thanks again

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went to tax office about it....they did not seem too concerned. Told me next time I go to tax it ask them to change the details. Sounds all pretty lax to me.
    VIN numbers and cc are all correct. Thanks again
    Don't forget that you were dealing with civil servants who more than likely don't give a crap about you and your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Told me next time I go to tax it ask them to change the details.
    If you do that the car will show up as having had a colour change. What's the actual name of the colour of the car?

Anan1 wrote: »
    If you do that the car will show up as having had a colour change. What's the actual name of the colour of the car?
    Looks Metalic Silver to me... and anyone else who looked at it :)

Looks Metalic Silver to me... and anyone else who looked at it :)
    Yes, but what's the actual name of the colour? What does the manufacturer call it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

We had a similar issue with a freelander (fell off the truck being delivered to the first garage that sold it in Britain, so it was reshelled by the factory. VIN is etched onto the chassis, but paperwork had make and model unknown). It had passed NCTs no problem until the last one, where they didn't like the look of the chassis number.

After we got it throught the NCT, I brought it to a customes inspection yard. The very helpful lady there took the registration cert, noted the vehicle details, and a couple of weeks later we had the new cert with the proper details.

Yes, but what's the actual name of the colour? What does the manufacturer call it?
    Contacted Dealer... It is on their computer as Bright Silver. Where would you find out what manufacturer calls it?

Contacted Dealer... It is on their computer as Bright Silver. Where would you find out what manufacturer calls it?
    The dealer should know. Failing that, the paint code will be somewhere on the car and printed on a sticker in the service book, you could google the code. If the car's silver now and it was the same colour when new then I wouldn't worry about it, TBH - if you start amending the VLC then the car will be on record as having had a colour change, and that's more likely to cause problems than the current situation. Just my 2c.

The dealer should know. Failing that, the paint code will be somewhere on the car and printed on a sticker in the service book, you could google the code. If the car's silver now and it was the same colour now then I wouldn't worry about it, TBH - if you start amending the VLC then the car will be on record as having had a colour change, and that's more likely to cause problems than the current situation. Just my 2c.
    Thanks, think I leave well enough alone :) Regards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

cormie wrote: »
    Actually just noticed an issue with my own when I was renewing the tax. It's down as 3290 GVW, when it should be 3500. The van itself was imported as a Transit 330, but the guy I bought it off said he converted it to a 350 by adding extra springs (which he said was all that was different). I definitely read somewhere, maybe on the registration book, that it was written as a 350, but just noticed the weight at 3290 the other day :( Lady in tax office said I'd have to go down to revenue office for them to inspect it. Not sure if they'd know what weight it could hold by just looking at it though?

It is a bug bear of mine.

Tax books very rarely match vehicles fully.

I cannot understand it myself. Have seen loads of them wrong, especially imported ones where the customs forms are filled by hand.

If whoever is filling out the form does not know the answer to one of the sections they will just put in a heap of 5555555's or a 0. I have seen 32t trucks with 1 kilo as the gvw. grrrr :mad:

As for uprating the weight only a vehicle manufacturer can do this and the VIN plate will have to be replaced to match.

Advertisement