Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the Leaving

Options
  • 09-06-2009 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

What is the story with repeating? Can you keep the points and grade from your best subjects this year and just repeat your lower ones next year?

I've got both French and History tomorrow, and it will seriously be the day that decides whether I'm back again next year. I think I've done well in all my exams so far, but I'm weak at French (doing honours) and history is unpredictable; if nice essays don't come up, I'm screwed.

So just curious about repeating.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

All points can only be calculated from one single sitting of the LC

You can hold on to your best grade in a subject for course entry requirements, but not for point calculations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

My girlfriend's friend (ie: I don't know the details) is doing primary school teaching I think. He didn't have what he needed in Irish so he repeated just Irish this year. But as I say, I don't know the details. He IS currently doing some course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Well, that sucks completely. Let's hope tomorrow doesn't shape up to be as bad as it could possibly be, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Mr.S wrote: »
    I think that if you fail a core subject, thats needed for most courses but still have enough points from your other 6 best subjects, you can repeat that core subject, get what you need in it and be allowed in. You just can't use it for points afaik.

To do teaching you need something like a C or B in HL Irish, or some jazz like such. So it wouldn't be that he failed it at all. You can repeat any single subject you like for course requirement purposes. He probably already got the points to get in anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

im repeating

you cant use your points from previous years but if you pass a get a grade high enough for the entry requierments of the course you want you dont have to repeat said subject (most people give up english)

if you fail eng irish maths you can repeat them on there own and use last years points -lots of people are repeating maths caus around 3000 failed OL last year

wouldnt recommend repeating btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

To do teaching you need something like a C or B in HL Irish, or some jazz like such. So it wouldn't be that he failed it at all. You can repeat any single subject you like for course requirement purposes. He probably already got the points to get in anyway.

B yeah! 3 of my friends want to do primary!
    B is fairly insane

im repeating

you cant use your points from previous years but if you pass a get a grade high enough for the entry requierments of the course you want you dont have to repeat said subject (most people give up english)

if you fail eng irish maths you can repeat them on there own and use last years points -lots of people are repeating maths caus around 3000 failed OL last year

wouldnt recommend repeating btw

I really don't want to. But if I do poorly tomorrow, I could come out barely scraping a pass in French (or worse :eek:) and same thing for history. Tomorrow is going to be horrible. Just hope I finish tomorrow happy.

I definitely haven't failed any core subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

One of the brightsides about repeating is that I wouldnt have to repeat English/French/Irish (I do love Irish, I just do not want to do LC Irish again!).

I'd probably do HL Maths, Classics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology,and I dunno Ag Economics :pac:

Probably would do religion again.

I DO NOT want to repeat though.

I'll get enough for UCD Science, I know that much!

moneyman wrote: »
    I really don't want to. But if I do poorly tomorrow, I could come out barely scraping a pass in French (or worse :eek:) and same thing for history. Tomorrow is going to be horrible. Just hope I finish tomorrow happy.

I definitely haven't failed any core subjects.

its just my opinion - youll prob do better then you expect anyway

ive found repeating pretty horrible - watching all your friends in college and you really dont work that much harder second time round (at least i didnt maybe that caus i only need 10 points)

try and look at all your options theres more ways to get into college and fees will be coming in by 2010 so it makes sense economically to take up a place in something you dont want and try and find a way into what you do

goooooood luck tomorrow !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Dumbledore

I was thinking of just going to college anyway and repeating(home study) myself next year to see if I can get ridiculously high points which I could if I work hard starting around christmas. I assume this is possible right? And just apply for CAO 2010? And if I don't get what I wanted I could just stay in the course I am doing?

• Advertisement

Dumbledore wrote: »
    I was thinking of just going to college anyway and repeating(home study) myself next year to see if I can get ridiculously high points which I could if I work hard starting around christmas. I assume this is possible right? And just apply for CAO 2010? And if I don't get what I wanted I could just stay in the course I am doing?

im sure you can do it but studying for college and the leaving ? sound gruesome

im sure you can do it but studying for college and the leaving ? sound gruesome

I thought so too but I realised I will already know a lot of the stuff, some of the English course changes and History but most of the subjects stay the same, and I would only be looking to go up by about a hundred points so it wouldn't be too hard with a bit of effort. Also if I really hated my college course I could just drop out and concentrate full time on the leaving.

its just my opinion - youll prob do better then you expect anyway

ive found repeating pretty horrible - watching all your friends in college and you really dont work that much harder second time round (at least i didnt maybe that caus i only need 10 points)

try and look at all your options theres more ways to get into college and fees will be coming in by 2010 so it makes sense economically to take up a place in something you dont want and try and find a way into what you do

goooooood luck tomorrow !

I know, thanks for the advice!:) You said you only need like 10 points? Does that mean that if I need 400 points this year and I get 380, I can repeat next year and only need 20? I know that probably sounds stupid, but just want to make sure.

No man unfortunately not. I think that used to be the case but as somebody already mentioned, you can only count points from one year of the Leaving Cert. You can not mix and match grades/points from different years.

I thought so too but I realised I will already know a lot of the stuff, some of the English course changes and History but most of the subjects stay the same, and I would only be looking to go up by about a hundred points so it wouldn't be too hard with a bit of effort. Also if I really hated my college course I could just drop out and concentrate full time on the leaving.

100 points = 20 grades

i just dont think its possible ive reapeated this year full time - got 450 last year so its not like im thick i did know a lot of the course but even after repeating full time i wouldnt expect to get 100 points extra

sounds insane to me but good luck ;) ---& i wouldnt attempt english a lot more of the course changes then you think

& no you need to repeat the whole thing but i didnt have to work that hard to get myself yo to 460 (you do remember a lot) pretty sure im up in the 500's somewhere

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

I think that if you fail a core subject, thats needed for most courses but still have enough points from your other 6 best subjects, you can repeat that core subject, get what you need in it and be allowed in. You just can't use it for points afaik.

Cool, thanks for the info :D

@ Dumbledore.

You're mad. You don't have to repeat yet.

If I were you I'd get off the internet right now; I'd get myself a few cans of Redbull and a jar of coffee; And I would stay up studying all night. You'd be wrecked tomorrow, but it would be worth it.

I'm repeating this year. It's not as easy to jump up 100 points as you think. As was said above, that's 20 grades.

If you are repeating, definitely don't do it in conjunction with going to college. You'll make a boll*cks of it. I can tell you now that you wouldn't have a notion of staying in studying when your friends are going out living the college life. If you're going to repeat, do it right.

Like I said above, though, you don't have to repeat just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

You could probably do that but you do realise that the amount of work you have to do for college is alot more than you think, believe me. I'm in Trinity and trust me, you have very little time for much else, that is if you go out with your mates! So studying for leaving and college would leave no time for going and would be very difficult. Also I've forgotten most of the things I did for my leaving as is the the case for most people and as well the government would only pay for 4 years of college, so if you go for this then another 4 you'll need to pay for a year!

Your best bet is to do a plc course that links with the course you have in mind (if that is possible). I have a friend who didn't do so well in his leaving and wanted business in DCU, so he's doing a plc and after two years if he's in the top 5 in his class he can go to DCU. So theirs always a way around it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Alexl

Ive got an unbelievabl july lined up, goin interrailing with some friends.
    Starting in amsterdam, the four day rock festival in belgium called, the down to serbia for another music festival, then up through budapest, prague and krakow, gonna be amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Alexl

I was going to do that exact trip, but then we worked out the costs and it just wasn't possible:(

Unlucky man, got anything else planned????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

History is going to make or break it for me too tomorrow I'm afraid. I doubt I'd repeat though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

well im sure youl do well :)
    all the best of luck!:D x

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

I did this..sat the Leaving Cert last year and then went to UCD but hated it as it's a bit of a trek for me but yet too near to qualify for campus accommodation and didn't like the course etc. so dropped out after Christmas and decided in February to repeat. I only registered to repeat on Feb 13th (late applications closing date) though so it I had to pay an extra €30 in late fees per subject so €488 in total so if you decide to repeat make sure you register before the end of Jan 2010 to save yourself some €.

Also decide beforehand if you think that you will definitely put the work in the second time round as in February I thought that I would study at home everyday from then on in but realistically I only bought the English poetry book the week before the exam and have been relying on cramming every night before the exam. Saying that I may go up by about 30 points and so hopefully just about get Law in Trinity but I definitely won't get the points for Law and French in TCD which is what I originally decided to repeat for.

Best of luck anyway!:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Also if I really hated my college course I could just drop out and concentrate full time on the leaving.
    Also I've forgotten most of the things I did for my leaving as is the the case for most people and as well the government would only pay for 4 years of college, so if you go for this then another 4 you'll need to pay for a year!
    They won't pay for you to do First Year a second time in any case (at least not within 7 years or something like that) as far as I'm aware, so you would be paying full fees for one year regardless of the length of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

They won't pay for you to do First Year a second time in any case (at least not within 7 years or something like that) as far as I'm aware, so you would be paying full fees for one year regardless of the length of the course.

Yes if you drop out of college after a certain date in the year (varies from institution to institution) then you have to pay half fees for the following year or half fees for the first year of another course on returning to education.

If you drop out of a course after the midway point (usually after 31st Jan) then you have to pay full fees for the following year or for the first year of another course on returning to education so if you managed to complete first of year of college and study for the LC simultaneously and then decided to switch courses having achieved higher points the second time around then you would most likely have to pay full fees for the first year of the new course unless you can arrange to internally transfer to another more preferable course within the college that you go to this September.

Advertisement