Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescued Zebra Finch

Options
  • 09-06-2009 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭

So... About an hour ago I was sitting here minding my own business, writing some abuse against some gob****e on the politics forum, when I heard a bang on my window, and looked out to see a tiny white bird being set upon by a magpie. I chased away the magpie and the little bird stayed there, twitching slightly.

I've identified it as a Zebra Finch, which is a domestic bird, and I've never seen in my life... So... The magpie must have gotten it from someone's house, or it escaped before being chased, maybe? I've no idea how I'd go about returning it to its owner, if it continues not being dead. My mam won't let it in the house, so it's currently in the shed with food and water, but I'm worried this is too cold for it if it's a household bird. :confused:

any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

Is there any wildlife/bird sanctuary near you? Had to google them to see what they look like, beautiful bird. There must be some wildlife society that would take it off your hands or at least know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

What's the story with the bird now? If it's a zebra finch not sure a wildlife place would take it it's a domestic bird so contacting a couple of rescues in your area that take in birds would be best. Also if you still have the bird try homing him on irishanimals.ie and petsireland with a photo. Ensure he's got the correct food as well and if you haven't got a bird cage at the moment perhaps someone near you can lend you one if you let them know roughly where you're located. It would feel more secure having a cage to go in to esp. if it's not used to being out in an aviary.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

passive wrote: »
    So... About an hour ago I was sitting here minding my own business, writing some abuse against some gob****e on the politics forum, when I heard a bang on my window, and looked out to see a tiny white bird being set upon by a magpie. I chased away the magpie and the little bird stayed there, twitching slightly.

I've identified it as a Zebra Finch, which is a domestic bird, and I've never seen in my life... So... The magpie must have gotten it from someone's house, or it escaped before being chased, maybe? I've no idea how I'd go about returning it to its owner, if it continues not being dead. My mam won't let it in the house, so it's currently in the shed with food and water, but I'm worried this is too cold for it if it's a household bird. :confused:

any ideas?

Zebra finches are grand outside in this weather, mine are in an outdoor aviary at the moment. What food have you got for it? Are its wings damaged? You can't really let it free fly in a shed, especially if there's window, because it'll just end up breaking its neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Update:

The bird is now in a cage, with food and stuff, hopping around happily on bars. The family seems happy enough to keep him, and I don't really see that there's any chance of finding the owner. It could have flown from any of the estates around my house, and they've probably given up on it. It's quite young, we think, so they probably didn't have time to get attached.

He's lovely =)

Update:

The bird is now in a cage, with food and stuff, hopping around happily on bars. The family seems happy enough to keep him, and I don't really see that there's any chance of finding the owner. It could have flown from any of the estates around my house, and they've probably given up on it. It's quite young, we think, so they probably didn't have time to get attached.

He's lovely =)

Cool! its a girl by the way! Give her a shallow dish with some water in it, bout 3 quarters of an inch deep and she'll clean herself up a bit. She doesn't look that young at all really. Why do you think she is young? Make sure to feed some veg, not just seed.
    Have a read of this:
    http://www.finchniche.com/f-finchfood.mgi

• Advertisement

banjopaul wrote: »
    Cool! its a girl by the way! Give her a shallow dish with some water in it, bout 3/4 inch deep and she'll clean herself up a bit. She doesn't look that young at all really. Why do you think she is young? Make sure to feed some veg, not just seed.
    Have a read of this:
    http://www.finchniche.com/f-finchfood.mgi

oh... we had thought girl 'cos of the colour of the beak, but my mam said the person at the pet shop said, based on her description (possibly an important point), that it was a young male... I dunno.. *shrugs*

And okay, will read all that, and put some water for her... was actually asking if she had water to wash earlier, but the cage doesn't seem to have a thing for that. thanks a lot =)

oh... we had thought girl 'cos of the colour of the beak, but my mam said the person at the pet shop said, based on her description (possibly an important point), that it was a young male... I dunno.. *shrugs*

And okay, will read all that, and put some water for her... was actually asking if she had water to wash earlier, but the cage doesn't seem to have a thing for that. thanks a lot =)

Nah a juvenile male would have a grey/dull colouration to its beak, and it's feathers would be different. You don't sex them by their beaks anyway, males and females look completely different.

Here's one I used to have who looks very similar to yours, she was a fully mature female:
    briansbirthday00015.jpg?t=1243863013

Here's a pair for male/female contrast:
    1138651~Spotted-Sided-Zebra-Finches-Pair-in-Cage-Poephila-Taeniopygia-Guttata-Posters.jpg

And if you want ask anything more about finch keeping feel free to ask. Zebras are usally kept in pairs by the way, might be nice to get her a friend. They only cost €10-15.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Good on you for holding on to her, some people sadly also just open up a window and let their birds go when they get tired of them although a lot do escape. They are flighty and fast so being vigilent with doors and windows before cleaning the cage out etc. will make sure the bird doesn't escape.

Deffo. as banjo said a pal for her would be great they love company.

She's lucky she landed in the right place oh yeh and check out zooplus.co.uk for birds stuff and cages in case you catch the bird bug and want to expand lol.

Off topic a big banjopaul do you have more pics of your aviary set up? Looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

aw poor little thing. its lucky it found you to look after it! :)
    Zebra finches are wonderful little birds i have a pair! you should definitely get her a friend they love company!

• Advertisement

She has a boy-friend (soon to be boyfriend, I assume?) now, and I passed the parents on the info about food, so hopefully they'll branch out a bit from seed and try them out with other things. She (name still TBC, currently leaning towards Dorothy, though I'm just calling her birdy...) seems much happier now. I love their squeaky little chirps :D

Either way I leave for Australia this Sunday, so the care of the pair rests with the parents, but all in all it was a good stroke of fate, for us and the bird. Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

How important is it to let them fly around and stretch their wings? The pet shop people told my parents they're grand in the cage, but you seem to have deviated from their advice in terms of dietary advice already, so if they should be let ramble around the room the odd evening, or it doesn't really matter, it'd be good to know before I leave them. We had a good time getting the male into the cage after he escaped the box earlier, so short of buying a net I dunno how to get them back in once they get out, but they seem happy enough hopping about for the time being.

She has a boy-friend (soon to be boyfriend, I assume?) now, and I passed the parents on the info about food, so hopefully they'll branch out a bit from seed and try them out with other things. She (name still TBC, currently leaning towards Dorothy, though I'm just calling her birdy...) seems much happier now. I love their squeaky little chirps :D

Either way I leave for Australia this Sunday, so the care of the pair rests with the parents, but all in all it was a good stroke of fate, for us and the bird. Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

How important is it to let them fly around and stretch their wings? The pet shop people told my parents they're grand in the cage, but you seem to have deviated from their advice in terms of dietary advice already, so if they should be let ramble around the room the odd evening, or it doesn't really matter, it'd be good to know before I leave them. We had a good time getting the male into the cage after he escaped the box earlier, so short of buying a net I dunno how to get them back in once they get out, but they seem happy enough hopping about for the time being.

Provided she has an alright sized cage they'll be fine. You can't really let softbills(finches etc..) to free fly as they can't find their own way back to the cage and they end up getting very stressed and injuring themselves. Birds like budgies are different in that they can have a fly around a room and then they'll get back in their cage themselves. So they're grand the way they are!

Oh and bit of lettuce usually goes down well with them! Easy to do!

Off topic a bit banjopaul do you have more pics of your aviary set up? Looks great.

I'll see if I do and post them up in here. I have two aviarys, one large one with finches and canaries, and then a smaller one with two budgies. If I don't have any pictures I'll take some at the weekend!

Edit: Pictures up in new thread now!

Advertisement