Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG~ Geologic Geometry

Options
  • 09-06-2009 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Got a few problems with the map question. Hoping someone could help me :)
    • How do i get the measurement if it says 1 in 20 falling/rising. Like, how far do i measure out from A if it says from A-B 1 in 20...
    • And second, anyone got an easy way to get the boreholes, I never quite learnt them in class, and the books are jus mindbending :confused:
    Please and thank you :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

You wont be able to measure 200 most of the time, it will fall say 20 in 200m which is equivalent to falling 10 in 100m so you can measure 100cm down the road and at that point it dropped ten. Then work fro there. Cut plane goes at te low end of the road and embankment at the higher part. Its also the height of the road being built you go by and not the contours. Hope that helps

Boreholes: There's really no easy way, maybe look at a paper and solution from the old course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Got a few problems with the map question. Hoping someone could help me :)
    • How do i get the measurement if it says 1 in 20 falling/rising. Like, how far do i measure out from A if it says from A-B 1 in 20...
    • And second, anyone got an easy way to get the boreholes, I never quite learnt them in class, and the books are jus mindbending :confused:
    Please and thank you :pac:

Counter Interval x scale x gradient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

So whats your thaughts on the test on friday?
    im kinda lookin forward to it. its probably my best subject so im hopin for an A1.
    im not to sure what the paper is like, my teacher was all talk about things he was goin to do but ended up doin nothin.

ive two questions about the paper:
    1. will interpenatration and planes and traces deffinatly come up
    2. can solids in contact come up as a long qustion?

if anybody knows anything helpful about the paper that would be great. thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

galway.gaa wrote: »
    So whats your thaughts on the test on friday?
    im kinda lookin forward to it. its probably my best subject so im hopin for an A1.
    im not to sure what the paper is like, my teacher was all talk about things he was goin to do but ended up doin nothin.

ive two questions about the paper:
    1. will interpenatration and planes and traces deffinatly come up
    2. can solids in contact come up as a long qustion?

if anybody knows anything helpful about the paper that would be great. thanks:)

1. No, but probably/hopefully :P
    2. Yes, hopefully!

Just keep on doing the first 2 or 3 papers and you should be grand!

eoccork wrote: »
    1. No, but probably/hopefully :P
    2. Yes, hopefully!

Just keep on doing the first 2 or 3 papers and you should be grand!
    our teacher said he was goin to get us the sample papers but he didnt. can you get them anywhere on the internet? so your predictin planes and traces, interpenetration and solids in contact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

galway.gaa wrote: »
    our teacher said he was goin to get us the sample papers but he didnt. can you get them anywhere on the internet? so your predictin planes and traces, interpenetration and solids in contact?

If I was giving tips I would say planes and traces and interpenetration as long q's, then solids in contacts a short q.

Here is the Official Sample Paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I got an A in TD in Junior Cert but have no idea how I'll do on Friday.

No idea what's on the paper, assumed that Interpenetration and Intersecting Planes were 100% going to come up so prepared for just them for part B... Have roads and mining done which seems like it actually is 100% guaranteed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

No idea, although I'm going to practice the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 --paul--

Paddy001 wrote: »
    You wont be able to measure 200 most of the time, it will fall say 20 in 200m which is equivalent to falling 10 in 100m so you can measure 100cm down the road and at that point it dropped ten. Then work fro there. Cut plane goes at te low end of the road and embankment at the higher part. Its also the height of the road being built you go by and not the contours. Hope that helps

Boreholes: There's really no easy way, maybe look at a paper and solution from the old course

What? if the gradient is 1 in 20 faliing then it will drop 5m if you go 100 metres down the road i.e 5 x 20=100? definitly not 10 m down if you go 100m down the road.

For mining geometry join the footwalls and headwalls in the elevation and go paralel to the footwalls from one of the headwalls and horizontally from the other headwall. this gives you a point on the strike, do the the same in the plan using the point you found on the strike, then look along the strike which gives you the dip and thckness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

OK. Each contour line on your map is at a 5 meter interval. Therefore, you have to multiply the gradient i.e. 20 by 5. This gives you 100. Every 100mm, you mark plus or minus 5 depending if it is rising or falling.

Dont forget the golden "FAT/CAB" rule, fill arcs at top height, cut arcs at bottom height. Hope that helps!

EDIT: Skew boreholes is very similar to skew lines... Level line in elevation and go parallel to other line... gives you true length and true direction in plan...just look along that line which is known as your "strike"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Frolick

The papers that are avaible are too long appearently... We're really been left in the dark time wise

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

That FAT/CAB is genius. Love you.

Boreholes = Skew lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

the fat cab rule? whats that? i know when you do the roadworks you have to draw a circle of radius,whatever the cut or fill ratio is so ill try and do it on this!

A-->B=level
    B-->C=in in 20 rising which lets say is 5:100

A
    B
    C
    D

so my question is radius 5 circle go, is it at B or C????

Is it cut or fill?

i reckon that because so many people are left in the dark it will be marked really easy. 1st year and all that like. itll probably be marked harder next year. so in that respect good times LC09biggrin.gif

Cut close(Cc) Fill far(Ff)
    Thats the way i learnt the rising road
    Cc=Cirlcle is close to your starting point Ff=Circle is at the end point

so fill will be at C and cut will be at B?

Cut close(Cc) Fill far(Ff)
    Thats the way i learnt the rising road
    Cc=Cirlcle is close to your starting point Ff=Circle is at the end point

and if the road is going down is the opposite correct? fill close, cut far?

Depends on the contours and height of B
    Lets say
    A--->B was level at 65 going to C raising at whatever
    If the contours are less then 65 its Ff
    If contours are more than 65 its Cc
    till whatever point

Depends on the contours and height of B
    Lets say
    A--->B was level at 65 going to C raising at whatever
    If the contours are less then 65 its Ff
    If contours are more than 65 its Cc
    till whatever point

so fill is always at the other point whereas cut is always at the point you are at?

• Advertisement

mink_man wrote: »
    and if the road is going down is the opposite correct? fill close, cut far?
    It depends on your starting point really, but ya
    You need to cut you make a circle on the starting point at whatever radius
    You need to fill you make a circle at the end point at whatever radius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭carefulnow99

well lads,
    just a few things i know this prob aint the thread but since were all doin DCG----

how did everyone get on in the mocks? we all done pretty useless but in fairness i got only 32% but that was with knowing 1 question and bluffing the rest been honest.

did ye get the whole course done? cause we certinly didnt only for my g.f's bro been a arcitecht i was screwed

and is it just me or do all DCG teachers seem to like been honest,not really give a sh!t? mine certinly does'nt as he told the 5th years now this is word for word-

"ah i dunno a few want to do it( refering to 6th years doin higher) but like its alot a work i hope they decide to drop been honest there are a few well able for it but well , i just dont have the time,,,"

what can i say to that? now... out of a class of 28 only 5 are doin higher becuase they dont feel confident enough doin higher which i feel is pretty unfair. and he is aftermissin loads of days cause he is showin the other teachers how to do the course,, which is a disaster been honest cause he is unreal lazy.

so thats it really hope we all do well folks nd best a luck to all of ye's

You lads successfully just confused the **** out of everyone.

If you are looking UP HILL, and you are doing FILL where is the circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 corkkerry

Remember the feeling all year...will the Recession come up in Irish??? and it did!!:)

The sound of relief that burst through the exa hall....well in relation to DCG..................it will look like a photocopy of the sample paper....same layout...stick to that and now that small tricky things in short q's like /auxiallary van points and we'll be grand.

There will be no major shocks I guarantee

Right Im assuming my bogger accent here because some serious deliberation has to be done.

Say youve marked out the height intervals on your road.

Cut: 1:1.5 Fill: 1:2

Formation level is 55 but you have a big dirty 65m contour line coming down right through ya. So you need to cut. You set your compass to 7.5 (5by1.5) and by the fat/cab rule you swing your arc from 50 and join back to 55.

Wel its depends on the rate of increase of the road.
    Every 20m it goes up 1m, so it ain't always fill

Frolick wrote: »
    Wel its depends on the rate of increase of the road.
    Every 20m it goes up 1m, so it ain't always fill

No it isnt but in fairness if you cant spot what is cut and what is fill then you shouldn't be doing DCG.

To confuse people further-does anybody use the "tadpoles" to indicate whether it is cut/fill. Remember, tadpoles always go UPstream.

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    No it isnt but in fairness if you cant spot what is cut and what is fill then you shouldn't be doing DCG.

To confuse people further-does anybody use the "tadpoles" to indicate whether it is cut/fill. Remember, tadpoles always go UPstream.

Ermmm, we're talking about a road that is raising aren't we? If your talking about a level road, ya you can find it no bother. However, the rate of increase of the road is VERY important! That tells you where to put the circle. You double that, you double the radius measurements (which people usually do to get closer to the end point).
    Not all raising roads are fill...

Anyone else noticed the best Tech Drawing teachers are always Boggers, with serious bogger accents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 corkkerry

hahahaha...ya boggers!!! quality

Advertisement