Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boiler on way out?

Options
  • 09-06-2009 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

Think our gas boiler is on the way out. Given that I'm completely clueless about it, here's my best attempt at a technical description. We've had the house 3 years, think it was there for a fair while before that. Had a new timer system installed about 18 months ago, and the guy had a look then and reckoned we might have problems in a year or so.

For the last few months, whenever the heat is switched on, there's a series of clicking noises, then a kind of <whumfff> as it catches, and all is well. In recent months, the clicking has gone on longer and longer, and sometimes I suspect it doesn't actually start at all, as there's been no hot water in the morning when the system had been timed to come on before I got up. It's now reached the stage where it can take an hour for the damn thing to start.

Based on that detailed explanation, can anyone offer a guess as to whether the whole boiler needs to be replaced, or is is just some kind of control element? And how much is either alternative likely to cost?

Comments

You would have to have it looked at to really decide whats at fault, by the sounds of it the clicking would be your spark igniter sending a spark to the gas to ignite it and the <whumfff> would be the gas igniting, if you are not hearing the boiler light, it could be you have no gas or there is a problem with the ignition side of things so that no spark is hitting the gas, it may be a five minute fix, so get someone in, Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Thanks for that, I'll get someone in to look at it. Anyone got any recommendations for someone around D5 (is it allowed to ask that here? - mods please move if inappropriate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

If you're upgrading the system you can get a grant of up to €700 against a new energy efficient system.

http://www.sei.ie/Grants/Home_Energy_Saving_Scheme/HES_FAQ/Homeowner%20FAQ/#much

Might be more worthwhile than repairing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

darc wrote: »
    If you're upgrading the system you can get a grant of up to €700 against a new energy efficient system.

http://www.sei.ie/Grants/Home_Energy_Saving_Scheme/HES_FAQ/Homeowner%20FAQ/#much

Might be more worthwhile than repairing it.

That's brilliant, thanks for that. Good list of contractors and advice there, even if we don't get the grant. Thanks.

Advertisement