Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

airide suspension

Options
  • 09-06-2009 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

hi all, i am thinking of getting the airide suspension on the rear of my motorhome, any one have it on a motorhome, what do you think?
    where can it be purchased here? all replies welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 parkmoy

Hi,

I've just fitted MAD air assisted suspension to my VW T4 based coachbuilt. It costs about £450 new but I got a little used kit for less than half that. Some kits fit the air bags/cylinders inside the coil spring but this kit sits them alongside on purpose made brackets.

It's early days yet but the first thing I've noticed is lack of roll on corners and roundabouts and overall a better ride. I'm still experimenting with air pressure to determine the optimum for the best ride when the van is fully loaded with water etc.

I would think you'll get a better deal on the net than locally, even if you can find kits in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Mine came pre-fitted when I purchased motorhome. Makes a massive difference when travelling. No bouncing and dipping when approaching roundabouts, very steady on the road.
    I've dabbled with the air pressure over time and find with low pressure the MH is bouncing all over the place.
    I cant recommend any companies but you'll get some further info at http://airide.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

"Parfit".out by the airport (Dublin) beside the Coachman's Inn,fit them, if that's any help.I think the ambient pressure is 7 bar but i'm not 100% on that.I drive a vehicle with air suspension (not my camper) and it is excellent;).But it does have drawbacks, punctures,road dirt hindering the smooth running and compresser trouble to name but a few.In an urban area it's not too big a problem, but rural or remote places could be.The good outweighs the bad,i'm just giving you a taste of my experience..........................b:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I fitted a set of air bag suspension to my last camper. It was a 1990 model & the rear leaf springs had gone soft. What a difference it made. Visually the camper came back up to level but on the road the ride was superb. No more bouncing around. I fitted a simple system - no compressor. You just inflated the bags from an airline or a foot pump. Think the company was Driverite. They advertise in the UK mags but had an agent in Dublin. Simple enough to fit. From what I remember, I had to cut off the rubber bump stops from the chassis & the bags fitted between the chassis & the springs. I think I found 30psi suitable for my needs.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macpete

thanks for all the advice, seems like a good idea so i will go ahead with it.

regards macpete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

macpete wrote: »
    thanks for all the advice, seems like a good idea so i will go ahead with it.

regards macpete

You are obviously are talking about a tamer animal that the one that's on the vehicle I drive,which has it's own compresser and tank plus automatic weight adjustment. I did wonder when I saw the sum of €450 mentioned,the one I have is not a DIY job,not to worry,every bit of info makes a difference to someone.................................b:):)

Advertisement