Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Lengths and Timing

Options
  • 09-06-2009 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭

Ok the other thread is huge and is full of predictions and essays, so I decided we could do with one for just timing and length. (Maybe the mods disagree, if so just move it, but I think its necessary)

As far as I know the format of our paper is something like this

14:00 - 16:50 (2 hours and 50 minutes)
    400 marks on the paper (100 for coursework)

Section 1 (45 minutes)

Document question.
    1: 20 Marks (Comprehension - usually 3 or 4 questions)
    2: 20 Marks (Comparison - usually 2 or 3 questions)
    3: 20 Marks (Criticism - usually 2 or 3 questions)
    4: 40 Marks (Contextualisation usually 1 question) - 1.5 pages

Section 2 (2 x 40 minutes)

1: (4 essay titles do 1) 100 marks
    2: (4 essay titles do 1) 100 marks

Section 3 (40 minutes)

1: (4 essay titles do 1) 100 marks

This all ads up to 2 hours and 45 minutes, leaving 5 minutes only.

Can anyone comment on essay lengths or is anything I have written incorrect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Yup that seems to be right timing wise. Although personally, I'm going to try do the document question in 38-40 minutes - I need all the extra time I can get on the essays.

As for essay length, there's really no definite amount of pages you should be writing. Also depends on size of writing.

I aim for 4 pages and can usually get that done but even 2.5/3 pages will be grand as long as it's a good essay. The old cliche quality not quantity is true

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

45 mins per essay, 3.5 pages each
    30 minutes max for Documents Q, small Questions a couple of lines, contextualisation 1.5-2 pages depending on time/how nice the question is.

That's just me, but in my opinion people should be flying through the Documents Q to get all the spare time they can

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

For essay lengths I got two 4 page essays and one 4 and a half pager done in the time, with just enough time to get the case study done.(about 9-10 words per line)

That was enough for to get 85%, but obviously everyone's writing is different so its all individual.

I always found though that History is much stricter in terms of length than say english, regardless of how good you're essay is, if its only 2 pages you won't get a good mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Yup that seems to be right timing wise. Although personally, I'm going to try do the document question in 38-40 minutes - I need all the extra time I can get on the essays.

As for essay length, there's really no definite amount of pages you should be writing. Also depends on size of writing.

I aim for 4 pages and can usually get that done but even 2.5/3 pages will be grand as long as it's a good essay. The old cliche quality not quantity is true

I diasgree, with the way history is marked it requires that you develop your answer with a certain amount of points. There were guys in my class who wrote much better answers than I did in the mocks, but because they just didn't have enough things mentioned they're A2 quality answer would get a B3 mark.

Course, thats not to mean padded-out fluff will improve your mark in any fashion:)

I think length does come into it, because they want a certain amount of fact and detail. My essays are never waffle and I always get 3.5 pages at least. It looks like you know less if you write less. (again as GI said a load of rubbish wouldn't help you, because it would still be clear that you only had a 2 page essay)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

I love the subject but I hate this paper! We have at least twice the work load of writing than subjects like English but far less time, it's so unfair! I didn't even have time to finish my last essay in the mocks, it's just a writing competition, plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Dumbledore

Saul-Good wrote: »
    I love the subject but I hate this paper! We have at least twice the work load of writing than subjects like English but far less time, it's so unfair! I didn't even have time to finish my last essay in the mocks, it's just a writing competition, plain and simple.

And I get to type it :D! I agree there is not enough time to write it all(even though my handwriting is incredibly fast/messy, hence the exemption). The paper cant be any longer so maybe they should just take out some questions?

You can get an exemtion just for having messy handwriting? :eek:

Why did nobody tell me? I have awful handwriting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It well hard to get that exemption.

My hand writing is illegible, I am dyslexic and I had like 3 recommendations from physchologists. I got turned down... Twice, and I am in the same school as Dumble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Dumbledore

errlloyd wrote: »
    It well hard to get that exemption.

My hand writing is illegible, I am dyslexic and I had like 3 recommendations from physchologists. I got turned down... Twice, and I am in the same school as Dumble.

Indeed, that was very unfair. The whole system is a joke, there is one dude who goes around the country and the whole decision is made by him.
    I have horrible handwriting but managed to convince the guy that I needed a computer because I have ADD to and get easily distracted in big exam halls. That was what swung it for me. The irony is of course that if you get a word processor you automatically get spelling, punctuation and grammar exemptions(including for Irish and French) when the irony is that I am a very good speller and it is totally unfair on dyslexic people like Errlloyd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I can't really complain though, they let me off spelling, grammar, Irish and French... :D

Advertisement