Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog run/ dog pen

Options
  • 09-06-2009 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where the best and most reasonable place is to get a steel dog run? The area i am looking at is approx 8ftx13ft. I have just finished laying the patio all over my garden and i have stepped that area up the back of the garden for a dog run and i have also layed pipe that runs into the sewage for waste disposal so i am looking for something that looks good.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Most pet shops should have them or be able to order them. I've never needed one myself but I can recall seeing them on display

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

You could make it yourself Stevo

What we did is went to our local building supplier and got some of the steel fencing as used to fence off building sites. Only needed 2 bits of it as it was built in the corner of the garden.

We put up 2 rows of blocks to outline the pen area, drilled holes down into the blocks at various places, we put metal rods into the holes and then attached the fencing to the poles with U bolts and a tac of weld here and there.

Its a fine job, unfortunately we had to halve the pen and give the dogs half each as they would not share the bigger open pen. They get let out every day and are well worked so its not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Vegeta wrote: »
    You could make it yourself Stevo

What we did is went to our local building supplier and got some of the steel fencing as used to fence off building sites. Only needed 2 bits of it as it was built in the corner of the garden.

We put up 2 rows of blocks to outline the pen area, drilled holes down into the blocks at various places, we put metal rods into the holes and then attached the fencing to the poles with U bolts and a tac of weld here and there.

Its a fine job, unfortunately we had to halve the pen and give the dogs half each as they would not share the bigger open pen. They get let out every day and are well worked so its not too bad

thanks for the tip. i was also looking at the rent a fence i can get a bit of that i wonder what that stuff would be like to work with, do you think i would be ble to make a decent dog run out of that veg?

stevoman wrote: »
    thanks for the tip. i was also looking at the rent a fence i can get a bit of that i wonder what that stuff would be like to work with, do you think i would be ble to make a decent dog run out of that veg?

Yeah that's the stuff we used.

As I said we cut it, supported it and gave it a tac of weld in the odd place and it made a perfect run.

You'll need some vertical posts or supports to attach it to to give it strength. We put long thin metal bars down into holes drilled in blocks and then attacked the fencing to that.

It would be wroth ringing the contacts above as they could be cheaper and handier than making your own.

We had everything (blocks, cement and support bars) the metal fencing was the only thing we had to get.

Only took an evening to do too, the blocks were laid a few days previous and were adequately dry.

• Advertisement

We had everything (blocks, cement and support bars) the metal fencing was the only thing we had to get.

Only took an evening to do too, the blocks were laid a few days previous and were adequately dry.
    Id say thats where my problom is going to arise. they are only brand new slabs that have been laid down and it would be a pity to have to drill through them now. were the run is going there is a shed to the left and a fence to the right and a wall all behind that. she has all the area in between. im thinking of getting the compond fence made up to an exact leght and attaching each side to the fence and shed giving her a nice clean run. all this work, she better have that nose of hers in order for the pheasent season!

Sounds good to me dude

Word of warning though, usually that fence stuff only has a thick bar at the sides and top, depend on that brand and quality. Looks like a wide upside down "U" with the mesh in between, no thick bar on the bottom. There isn't very much support at the bottom because of that. The dog may be able to flex or push it out of her way.

A way to combat that is turning the bar upside down. That way the thick heavy bar is running along the ground.

If you have friends in the construction industry (if there is anybody still working in construction) ask them to see can they get you a length for free.

A door is a whole other issue :D

The things you get by with when times are hard eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Harris fencing is the big stuff they use to fence off the sites. You can get two diff grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

looserock wrote: »

I got mine from cill dara and can't fault it. I only needed 2 panels (one has a gate in it) as the run is in a corner with a block wall along 1 side and the back. Had it erected in 10 minutes and it's plenty strong. I've a big dog (50kg+ American Akita) that often jumps against it in excitement when I go to let him out and apart from a little rattle, it doesn't budge. I'd stay well away from the chain link ones you get in Woodies and the like, they're far too weak for anything other than a hamster. I'd disagree with the harris fencing for a couple of reasons; namely no gate so you have to open the panels completely. Secondly, I work on site with them all the time and the welds holding the mesh to the frame never hold so if you have a big dog that jumps against it, they won't last long. Thirdly, the gaps between the mesh and the metal itself aren't suitable for a small dog as they can nudge their heads between the gaps and the metal is so soft eventually they squeeze through. Finally, I don't think they look as good as a proper run so you've spent all that money doing up your patio-if it was me, I'd like a good looking run. Well, as good looking as a steel cage can be :p

adser53 wrote: »
    I got mine from cill dara and can't fault it. I only needed 2 panels (one has a gate in it) as the run is in a corner with a block wall along 1 side and the back. Had it erected in 10 minutes and it's plenty strong. I've a big dog (50kg+ American Akita) that often jumps against it in excitement when I go to let him out and apart from a little rattle, it doesn't budge.

How much were the 2 panels out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

The prices are displayed if you click the link, for 2X 11 feet panels one with gate approx €340.

That's only about twice the price of the rent a fence stuff but ten times better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cilldara is fab anyone can put them up instantly and you can move them around from place to place and they have a small gap underneath to let rain water out. It's so straight forward was thinking about another crowd but they couldn't give a basic price unless I had exact measurements with the cill dara I just plopped it on the patio area if the patio is slightly bigger than the run it doesn't matter, I left a little bit of patio at the gate side just for paws to walk over before they go in helps in the muddy rain.

I've had mine for years and can't fault it it's so easy to use. Only wear is a bit of green algae that I've been too lazy to scrub off but no sign of rust and it's been out in all weathers for around 5 years now.

I also have a timber post and chainlink pen with no front on it so we attached some cill dara panels to it with a gate as well luckily size wise it fit although we haven't really used the pen much it's a handy way of putting a gate on I find gates the hardest to get around here. Have used the cill dara panels as gates for the driveway as well although you can't drive a car over it.

slaneyside I think is the Wexford crowd? Heard good things about them as well. There's a few more options now than there was years ago.

Cill dara now charges for delivery but last time I bought panels I waited a couple of extra days so the delivery guy was in the area delivering other stuff to somewhere else and was charged half of what they'd normally charge for delivery.

I love love love my cill dara runs some might need a roof put on for houdinis I have a bit of chicken wire over the top of one but that was to keep anything getting in to it when I had rabbits. Had a setter jump up on an igloo kennel and jump right out of one but it had no roof so for dogs like that a roof is needed they sell them now or you can easily pop one on yourself.

Have had rabbits, cats, kittens and dogs in them. With smaller cats/kittens though you obviously need the roof section (I cut the legs off one of the runs so rabbits couldn't squeeze out) and the padlock section would need wiring if there were cats/kittens.

No drills or anything needed with cilldara although I think there are holes in it if you really wanted it really stuck to the ground so far have had no need to with ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Like looserock said, the prices are on the website. Ours is around 4m*4m and i think it cost around 350 including delivery but cant remember exactly tbh as it was over a year ago

Got sorted out after Veg. i went with Cilldara. The lenght of my run was 17ft 2" from my seide fence to shed. I called Cilldara and they had to different sizes that fitted to 17ft. Itsput it up at the weekend and i have to say i am very happy with it. More importantly so is the dog. Comes and goes out of it during the day and heads on in to the run for the night. I got it for €231 which was very good and delivery was €30 so no complaints. also they were very very nice to deal with aswell. the lady in the office was very helpful.

Advertisement