Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Long and Winding Road

• 09-06-2009 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Im a long time reader of the training logs on this forum and I've finally decided to become a logger now myself!

So, some background, Im 25 year old male from Limerick, living and working in Galway. The best thing I did since coming here in September was join Galway City Harriers with a few friends from work. Even though my training since January, when I joined, has been very stop/start, I feel that having the motivation to meet up with other people and train has helped me a lot.

So since I joined, I have run 5 races, the best of which I will be counting as my personal bests as I doubt I can ever get back to the times I was running when I was 15/16. So here goes...
    Adare 10k - 54.50
    Craughwell 5k - 26.32
    Claregalway 5k - 25.23
    Loughrea 5k - 26.52
    Dangan 5k - 27.05

So back to my plans. I have the running bug again and my main goal is to run the Dublin marathon. I have been running 5 times a week for the past 2 weeks and hope to keep that up for the summer. To keep myself interested tho, I plan on running a good few races over the summer. My next race will be the 5k in Salthill on July 4th. I intend on running the Adidas series and the Streets of Galway also.

So down to the real stuff...the log.

3.5 miles with a friend last night in an easy 31 minutes

Plan for tonight, 5 miles.

Sorry for the rambling nature of the first post....but i'd a lot to get on paper.

Regards,
    Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hey LambDave, welcome to the training logs. Best of luck with it all. I was at Adare too but walked it due to injury. I will probably be at the Streets of Galway 8k this year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭LambDave

Hi, thanks for the welcome!

Adare was tough. Even though I was fit enough going into it, I just felt that it went on forever, just felt like it was hills leading into bigger hills! It was the longest race I'd ever done though as all the racing I did in my teens was between 800m and 5 miles.

I hear that Streets of Galway is a great race, really looking forward to it after doing the races in the 5k series.

Really like the look of this marathon plan on Runners World website.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--6946-3-3X5X7-4,00.html
    Think it would be a good one as the varied workouts and paces would keep me interested. Think id be able for the volume also if i gave myself a couple of weeks to get to that standard.

What kind of preparation would you guys recommend to be able to be at that standard considering ive been running regularly all year.
    My typical week's training for the last couple of weeks would be:
    Mon - 3.5 miles
    Tue - 5 miles
    Wed - 1 hour
    Thur - 3.5 miles
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - 4-5 miles
    Sun - Rest

5.1 mile run last night in 50.19. Felt rough for the first 3 miles but felt great for the last 2. Only problem at the moment is a soreness at the top of my quad where my quad meets my knee. Only happens when going up steep hills tho and goes away straight away when I get to the top.

3.75 miles tonight. Felt really stiff tonight from about a mile in. Started out at a decent pace but couldnt keep that up. Walked a bit as a result and did the 3.75 miles in 41 mins.
    Gonna try an hour slow running tomorrow night and then a rest day Friday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey Dave,
    I have just seen your log now, Like yourself I just took up running this year and plan to to the DCM in October. I have my own log up, I wouldn't be that far off yourself in terms of times and ability so I am gonna keep an eye on this. All I can say is you are going to have ups and downs especially as you up the mileage. Make sure you have the right pair of runners, get a gait analasys done if you haven't already, it could help keep the injuries at bay. Good luck with everything and see you on the streets of dublin in october!!

Hi menoscemo,

Cheers for the encouragement. Felt crap after a bad session last night but know that you get those now and again. Good to hear that theres someone similar to myself with the same goals in mind. Have you any idea of a goal time in your head for Dublin yet? Also, do you plan on doing any races during the summer?

Have gotten the GAIT analysis done in Runways. Got a pair of Mizuno Wave Alchemy. Really happy with them so far. Must have done 200 miles in them at this stage and no sign of wear and tear just yet. Heading over to London in a couple of weeks and may be tempted to give Decathlon a visit tho to get a spare pair of runners :D

LambDave wrote: »
    Hi menoscemo,

Cheers for the encouragement. Felt crap after a bad session last night but know that you get those now and again. Good to hear that theres someone similar to myself with the same goals in mind. Have you any idea of a goal time in your head for Dublin yet? Also, do you plan on doing any races during the summer?

Have gotten the GAIT analysis done in Runways. Got a pair of Mizuno Wave Alchemy. Really happy with them so far. Must have done 200 miles in them at this stage and no sign of wear and tear just yet. Heading over to London in a couple of weeks and may be tempted to give Decathlon a visit tho to get a spare pair of runners :D

Hey Dave, I was thining 4 hours for the marathon, but the longer my 'long runs' get the less I think it is likely. I did a 5 mile race a month back in just over 40 mins, will do the 5 mile and half in the Adidas series in phoenix park. I will look out for a 10k in the next few moths as well

tuesday - june 11

Straight back on the wagon after last nights tough one!
    1 mile warm up in 11 min
    6.1 mile easy run in 1 hour 2 mins

Delighted with this! Felt stiff for first mile after warm up but felt fine after that. Going to take tomorrow and Sunday off and try and get another 7 miles in on Saturday morning.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hey Dave, I was thining 4 hours for the marathon, but the longer my 'long runs' get the less I think it is likely. I did a 5 mile race a month back in just over 4 mins, will do the 5 mile and half in the Adidas series in phoenix park. I will look out for a 10k in the next few moths as well

Was thinking the same myself. Would be great to aim for the 4 hour mark aswell, but i really do seem to average bang on 10 mins for my longer runs at the moment.

Might be worth throwing this open to any marathoners that may be reading. Do you feel that over time your comfortable pace got quicker as you got fitter or was the pace you found comfortable at the start your goal pace all through the training process?

• Advertisement

Just realised, i did the 5 mile race in 40 mins not 4 mins!!!
    I am trying to up what would be my comfortable pace. I have a HRM since a few weeks ago. I used to do all my 3-5 mile runs in 8min/mile pace, then i realised I was pushing myself to basically full capacity, so I have tried to slow the runs down, I don't want to get injured. I use the HRM to keep me at comfortable pace during the long runs around 75% of max (about 155bpm for me). I did a 10 mile run using this method 2 weeks ago in 1hr 40mins (bang on 10mile/mile pace) straight after I got the HRM, even though I did 9 miles in 1hr 20minutes the week before (8"30 pace). I thought the 9 miles was a comfortable pace, but obviously not!!!
    I just hope that on race day I am able to sustain the higher pace over 26 miles lol...

So Saturday 7 miler did'nt go as planned. Felt pretty bad all day so opted for 30 minutes jog followed by 5x30 sec uphill sprints.

Felt good to be doing faster reps after a week of plodding along at that 10 minute mile pace.

Plan for this week? Similar to last week really. Keep on trying to build up the mileage. Running a 5k on 4th of July so I should probably try and fit in some faster, shorter stuff aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

welcome LambDave and good luck with your training. If I can do it, anyone can.

Went for a quick run tonight and enjoyed it a lot on a fine evening

2.75 miles in 24.27

Hilly course, a loop that I do every couple of weeks to see if im getting any quicker. This was about 40 seconds quicker than ive done so im happy with that. Looking forward to the 5k race now to see if i can break 25 minutes there!

3.2 miles tonight in 31.35

Did this with a friend and felt really easy.

An hour run planned tomorrow night

Really didnt feel like going out this evening due to a serious dose of the lazies but started reading the training logs and said to myself "feic it theres no reason why i cant go out for a slow one". So, thanks for the motivation Boardsies.

4.9 miles in 52.08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I was like that last week. The kids have chicken pox so I've had to run in the evening time all week and I was so tired and didn't feel like going out but its funny how once you make it passed the front door your laughing and when your finished you've alot more energy too. Keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Really didnt feel like going out this evening due to a serious dose of the lazies but started reading the training logs and said to myself "feic it theres no reason why i cant go out for a slow one". So, thanks for the motivation Boardsies.

4.9 miles in 52.08

Glad to see the logs are being of use. its them times that you dont feel like running that are the hardest if you can get out on them days they will show the benefits especially in a race. Person needs to develop themselves just as much mentally for a race as they do physically so fair play keep up the good work

once you make it passed the front door your laughing
    Completely agree. For me it even starts by putting on the gear. Theres no turning back from there. I also know I've never in my life regretted going for a run so I try and remember that when feeling lazy.

So today, 2.25 miles run down to soccer field. Was asked to play cos the lads were stuck. Nice pace and plenty of running so still feels like I got some bit of a session in!

Gonna try and do my long run tomorrow and maybe call it a day for the weekend and take two days off as I feel I've put in quite a good week.

So, was away this weekend so have done nothing since Thursday.

Last night 2.75 miles in 24.59

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Completely agree. For me it even starts by putting on the gear.

A tip I remember is to wear your gear under your clothes when motivation is low. Might not be that practical in warm climates.

5 miles last night in 52.59

Found this tough. Left it till late in the evening but still found it quite hot. A couple of nice showers of drizzle made it bearable though.

So, I'm back....whats happened in the last two weeks you may ask? Well the night after the above run, my knee, which had been giving me progressively more problems, was very sore so had to walk instead of run. Decided to take a break for a few days as I was going on holiday anyway.

Tried one run last Thursday when I got back but I still was in a bit of pain. Decided to rest for the weekend. Since then, Ive decided to try and just concentrate on the Streets of Galway for now and have done out a plan to take me the 5 weeks up until then. If I get through that, I will try and fine a 10k to train for and up the milage very gradually. Hopefully I should be in the shape to start training for half marathon by the Autumn, but I think a marathon may be out of my reach for now.

So first day of Streets of Galway plan started Monday.

1 mile warm up in 11 mins
    2.8 miles fast in 24 minutes
    1 mile cool down in 11 minutes

Tuesday
    4 miles in 41 minutes

Cross training day today so going with a few mates from work to "Hot Yoga". Sceptical about this but sounds like it could be fun, and ive heard its supposed to be good for injury prevention etc. Willing to give anything a try once!

Wednesday
    Went to "Hot Yoga" with a couple of friends as part of my Cross Training Day. 90 minutes in 40 degree heat. My t-shirt couldn't have been wetter if you'd have soaked it in a bath! Really found it a tough workout and would recommend it for anyones Cross Training day.

Thursday
    Unplanned Rest Day

Friday
    11 minute mile to warm up
    1hr 10 mins 6.5 miles
    Rest, 11 minute mile cool down

8.5 miles ran in the rain in total. Delighted with this. My longest run since i started back training. Time was probably a bit slow but I had several traffic stops and 4 stops to check google maps on my phone to check the route as I'd never ran it before. Good few tough hills in there aswell but never felt like stopping. Was seriously hurting on Friday night though after this.

Saturday
    Rest/XT Day planned. Went to Killary adventure Centre with work group. Gonna count this as a XT day as there was lots of walking and activity. Great day out.

Sunday
    4.9 miles in 49.01

A bit faster and further than my plan suggested but felt really good throughout. A nice Sunday run even though I managed to catch what must have been the only shower of the day! Looking up, all I could see was blue skies and I was thinking to myself, Where the hell is this coming from?!

Weeks Summary
    ~22.5 miles covered this week in 4 sessions. Very happy with this and feel its started my preparations for Streets of Galway (mainly injury free despite a few niggles) in good style while doing enough mileage to still be able to consider longer races in the Autumn.

Monday

1 mile warm up - 12 mins
    2.9 miles - 23.15
    1 mile walk/run cool down 11 minutes

Felt really good and pushed myself hard. About a minute quicker than the same session last week!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

you seem to be progressing well and enjoying it at the same time ;)

Tuesday

Bad session last night. Knew I wasn't recovered after a big effort on Monday night but gave it a go. Legs very sore so decided to cut it short and it ended up being a 4 mile walk/run instead of being a 5 mile easy run.

Will either retry this session tonight with rest Thursday and long run Friday or rest tonight and do my long run Thursday.....will see how i feel later.

Wednesday
    Figured I needed to rest after that poor attempt on Tuesday!

Thursday
    8.5 miles in 1:29

Delighted with this again. Went the same route as last week but in reverse. Slightly easier hill-wise and can extend this easily when my plan calls for 9 miles next week. Onwards and upwards!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good stuff :)

Advertisement