Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filing a complaint against a letting agent

Options
  • 09-06-2009 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi can anyone advise who you can file a complaint against a letting agent with?

We are due to move out of our rented house in two weeks and had agreed with the landlady that people could view the property in the evenings or weekends as long as we had days notice.

The letting agent has basically been turning up with no notice to let people view the house and if we are not home just letting herself in. This culminated in me being home sick last Friday to have two stranges walk into my bedroom at 10am. I'm due a baby in a few weeks so its not the kind of stress I need at the moment.

The landlord has told the letting agent in our presence that there are to be no more viewings usless she and we are informed in advance and thankfully took the key off her. The letting agent turned up unnanounced again last night and to be honest I have had enough.

The landlady has been very supportive in all this and really she is pulling her hair out as much as we are and now trying to find a new agent to let the property. She has been great to deal with the whole time we have been her tenants.

I'm so angry at what has happend and I'm not prepared to let it sit. Surprisinly I have gotten no where with the agency, not even an apology.

What, if any, recourse do I have?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

As long as your tenancy is in force, the agent has absolutely no right to let herself or others into your home without prior arrangement with you.

Bit late now though, you should have called the guards when it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Tefral

Same thing was happening to me (although in different circumstances) and i asked the legal person here in my office about it.

Basically she said it amounts to tresspassing and they i should call the guards.

My advice is to ring them and tell them. Wouldnt be long softening the letting agent up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

If she had of walked in on me, it would of been her filing a complaint against me as I would have flung her out the window, that behavior
    is seriously not on. A landlord (who is the owner of the property) needs to give adequate notice to visit and should they not you can refuse them entry
    so an EA can take a further step back.

If it happens again just refuse entry, if there is any protest dial the local Garda station post haste.

98% of EA's are useless chancers, I hope you dont pop your sprog because of the stress :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Find out what professional organisation the estate agent is in and phone them,a sking for a copy of their complaints procedure. Write to them explain the "they had strangers walk in on a pregnant woman in bed" bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Tefral

Victor wrote: »
    Find out what professional organisation the estate agent is in and phone them,a sking for a copy of their complaints procedure. Write to them explain the "they had strangers walk in on a pregnant woman in bed" bit.

Usually its the SCS www.scs.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement