Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching and Finances

Options
  • 09-06-2009 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi All,

I have finally decided to return to education to do the Arts degree through Oscail - which will enable me to teach English and History in secondary school. I just have a few questions and I'd appreciate any input.

Following the PGDE, considering it is so difficult to obtain work, do most newly-qualified teachers remain effectively unemployed, taking whatever subbing work they can? Or do most people take whatever full-time position they can get in a different field (e.g. admin) in the hope that some full-time teaching work will come up?

Secondly, I can't really move around to follow work like many people on the forum - I am pretty much tied to where I am (SouthEast) for family reasons - will I ever have a hope of getting employment?
    Lastly, for qualified teachers, if you could go back and choose your subjects again, what would you choose based on job availability / subject demand?
    Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ulysses32

I would definitely suggest that you reconsider History as a subject choice. If employability is high on your priorities then I suggest Irish as a strong subject.

The jobs market for second-level teachers has been difficult regardless of boom or bust times.

Good luck with your studies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭niall3r

history and english graduates entering teaching are . . .everywhere.

It just means that you will have more competition when going for jobs, not that you wont get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lou2713

Thanks all. Unfortunately, English, History and CSPE are the only subjects you can teach with the Oscail degree and I can't afford to go back to college full time. I would need extra study for CSPE so I figured English and History were really my only options at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's also Environmental and Social Studies, taught by many History graduates. It's integrated History and Geography, taught using active learning methodologies. If you're old enough to remember the old Humanities programme, it grew from that. Not all schools offer it, but the numbers are rising every year.

Advertisement