Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passenger seat wanted for 1993 VW Camper

Options
  • 08-06-2009 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi,
    Any advice on where I could get a new/2nd hand swivel - thingy for the internal part of a passenger seat for a left handed campervan?

Basically the seat was facing the dining position and when I went to turn it back it seemed jammed. I gave it a slightly harder push that 'freed' the mechanism. I realised the problem when I wanted to face it back again.

Seemingly a 10c euro coin got stuck in the revolving mechanism ( best described as a plastic cylinder ) and caused problem.

Where could I find such a thing/ replacement?
    The seat is currently locked in facing forward position.

On another note....
    Many thanks for advice on injectors...it turns out it was the timing belt which I only had changed last year............Some mechanic :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

What about a seat from a tyota privai, SurfGod got one from a breakes for his LDV, or you could ask him nicely and get him to make you a plastic widgit.

See ya
    SH aka Endless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jello22

Normally I just check out the local wrecking yards...but if you don't have any near by eBay would probably be a second great resort.smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 salmon7

Many thanks guys....

You're getting warmer.It's the revolving cylinder above that metal plate that contains the mechanism / wiget.

Revolving seat - cylinder/neck/shaft - plate that seat and neck/cyliner are attached to.

Below is a captain seat....the cyliner upon which this turns is damaged. When I unbolted it, inside was a plastic thing that looked like a toilet roll if it was opened...it graduates, like a spiral staircase. I
    think this is to allow for the seat to turn properly????????
    Anyway its cracked from my Herculean twist....:eek:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TW-TRANSPORTER-CAPTIN-SINGEL-SEAT_W0QQitemZ260424186628QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3ca27dbb04&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1683%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ebayphotohosting

normally the seat and the swivel mechanism are two different parts.

The seat is the regular seat as it fits into the original rails. The swivel mechanism is two plates with the hinge/cylinder in the middle. That double plate usually fits into the console runners at the bottom and has rails on the top, where the seat runners fit into. So the mechanism gets slotted inbetween runners and seat.

You should be easily able to detach it and maybe fix it or at least use it as a template to look for an identical one.

But the one from my link above should also do the trick

Edit:

or maybe you got one like these?
    701881677B.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 gumballz

I'm searching for a passenger seat also..

Many thanks Peasant...a mine of info.

Thats where the seat sits on alright.
    I slid the seat forward to reveal the central bolt
    I undid the bolt (as in the pic) and its inside here that problem lies......

Do I have to buy that section or can I buy seperate graduated cylinder for inside?:D:D

Incredible pic

So your van used to have a passenger bench seat at some stage and then this console was put in to change it to a swiveling single seat.

I don't know if this cylinder thingy can be bought seperately or if there is a repair kit or something, but here is where you can buy the whole thing:
    http://server5.gs-shop.de/200/cgi-bin/shop.dll?AnbieterID=4357&hauptseite=detail.htm&bnr=701881677B&PKEY=18E6

there also are a few used ones currently on German e-bay
    http://fahrzeugteile.shop.ebay.de/items/?_nkw=Drehkonsole+VW&_sacat=23022&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=Autoteile_Zubeh%C3%83%C2%B6r&_dmd=1&_odkw=&_osacat=23022

!BUE3C2Q!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKiUEjlLmWrB3BKLr)T09cg~~_1.JPG
    Many thanks again Peasant....I saw how many posts you have made and I looked at mine...say no more:D:D

I took the top off this one. As you can see it swivels on this metal cylinder. There is a plastic cylinder inside this metal one.

Is there a magic button on German ebay that translates all to English???

salmon7 wrote: »

Is there a magic button on German ebay that translates all to English???

'fraid not :D

you might want to try ebay uk as well

Those folks at the shop I linked to do speak English, if you ask them nicely in a mail.

From what I can gather from looking around you have to be mindful of different versions, pre 96 and post 96 as mentioned previously but also lh side and rh side seem to be different.

Are you sure that what you have can't be fixed/bodged somehow?

Would be an awful shame to spend lots of dosh on something from ebay, pay a fortune for freight, only to find that it doesn't fit

• Advertisement

Thanks Peasant....

Yeah..with you on the diff sided seats etc. That pic I sent you was of one for €15 or so.......dunno how much freight is gonna cost.

Maybe head over to Deutchland for a summer trip, have a few beers, nice food etc and pick up the seat.....:) then head west to France.

Camper is currently being fixed in mechanics.... timing belt and associated trouble = engine stripping. Only had it done this time last year.

Here's another thought:

That type seat that you have with the pedestal type mechanism ...that's original VW equipment for the multivan (according to my sources)

A chat with the guy in the service department of your nearest VW dealership might just reveal that there are spare parts for this seat and not just complete replacements ...worth a shot.

Advertisement