Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths and Geography????

Options
  • 08-06-2009 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Think i might have to repeat next year, made really bad choices in my subjects, I liked geography for junior cert and have a fairly good knowledge of different cultures and what not. I was looking at applied maths papers and some of the questions look similar to ones in phys/chem, which I like.

Basically I'm wondering what are these two subjects like, and would it to be possible to get a good a or b in one year?

All help appreicated:)

And would it be possible to teach applied maths to myself, with exam papers, and revision books and whatever.

And one last thing! Any other subjects that would be possible to do in one year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

first - you really shouldnt be considering repeating when your not even finished and that coming from a repeater !

geog- great subject for points in my opinion its reaally boring, you need to have the patience for a lot of reading but its mostly common sense so you tend to retain the info easy (at least i do)

ap maths - just a warning its applied for a reason, it requires lots of work if you want to be good at it, basically lots of practice and you should be alright. The thing with applied maths is you need a very logical mind, its not like maths where theres usually a pretty clear way of approaching the Q - you usually need to look ahead & plan because even though questions are from the same topic there can be a lot of variations. Probably goes without saying that you need a good maths background too

Good luck in the rest of the exams & hope i wasnt too off putting (i love AP maths Btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

Not sure about the Geography in just one year - you have to cover quite a large volume of information. The Fieldwork takes away a long time if you want the full 20%.

The Physical Geography is more-less the same as the Junior Cert, you just need to know the Crust (Place tectonics) in a bit more detail. Also you'd need to know all the processes involved in the formation of various landforms and how humans can interfere with these processes.

The Regional and Economic geography are separate questions on the paper, but very much interconnected.
    For regional you need to know the following:
    *Ireland
    ---+ Core (Dublin)
    ---+ Periphery (Border, Midlands, West)
    *Europe
    ---+ Core (Paris Basin)
    ---+ Periphery (Mezzogiorno, Italy)
    *Continental/Subcontinental
    ---+ Again Core/Periphery (American South-West OR India)

For the Economic you need to know the Primary, Secondary and Tertiary activities of all of the above regions.

The last question on the higher paper is a choice of 12 essays, grouped in blocks of 3:
    *Global interdependence
    *Geoecology
    *Culture and identity
    *The atmosphere-ocean environment

You only have to do 1 essay in that section.

That's pretty much a brief run-through of the Geography course.

Can't tell you quite as much about Applied Maths because I didn't have a teacher *officially*.
    Knowing the Mechanics backwords would help. I think a third of the paper refers to the uvast equations in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Dante

Geography is not hard to get a solid B in provided you do a small amount of work! Would definitely recommend it if you enjoy it.

Advertisement