Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog sheeding problem

Options
  • 08-06-2009 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

I have to dogs and they're brothers, there about 2 1/2 years old the problem is that they shed very bad but never to the point you can see there skin.
    When you pet them the hair comes off but not in clumps just individual hairs I wash them and comb them and still they shed, is there anything that I can give them to help them keep their hair good and strong, I`ve heard that cod liver oil is meant to be good for it so I`ve started giving them that 3 days ago, only is very small doses..any other suggestions would be great, cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pukeymcpukerson

well lewis if you go to a reputable vet clinic or pet store you can first of all get some moult formula, its a supplemnt for dogs for shedding a big bottle costs around 20 i think? so thats the first thing and then to treat the shedded hair itself you should buy a furminator. its a special type of shedding brush, very small teeth and it works kind of by static and removes the loose hair!! its brilliant, i work in a vets and for our grooms that come in we use it. its great for a coat thats matted or sheddin and it works best in dogs which have a under coat, ( not that good for yorkies etc..)
    hope this helps!! pukey!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

if the dog is on a good quality pet food, this will help to keep it's coat in good condition. Husse is a brilliant low feed rate, human grade ingredient food, and they do rice based food for dogs with sensitive stomachs (www.husse.ie - you can order a free sample). For dogs with many allergies, Orijen is brilliant as it's no grains (or corn or rice), but it's much dearer (www.zooplus.co.uk).

There are also supplements you can get to try to boost the coats condition, such as velcoat (http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/supplements_specialty_food/hair_skin/more_skin_and_coat_supplements/13190).

However, some dogs are just heavy shedders. The best investment you can buy is a furminator or furminator-like brush. I have one (just got it today :D), it's Vivog brand - it's much cheaper than the furminator brand, but does the same job. My friend ordered it for me from http://www.christiesdirect.com/product.php?sp_p=853518. It is brilliant - it really took the hair off my three cats just like the furminator videos! Just be careful though, I had brought another brand of de-shedding tool from the pet shop, it was all blue, and it had a blade under a plastic comb fitting, and it was worthless - nothing like the furminator. My friend has a furminator she uses for her grooming, and I wasn't sure if I was using the pet store one properly, so I gave it to her to try and compare. She said the only thing it was good for was taking the damaged tips of the hair of wiry coated dogs - it didn't really have any de-shedding properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 marles

I must agree we got a furminator on ebay and it is the best tool ever for both the cat and dog.
    It is very easy to use and has without a doubt reduced the amount of hair floating around the house.
    I think we got ours for under 30e delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

the furminator gets the thumbs up here too :) great gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Ok this may sound silly but would this hurt a dog with a short haired coat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭no1girliegirl

The furminator is good at helping shedding but I think you should get your dog checked by a vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

You should be able to use it on a short coated dog - our cats are short coated.

However, there are some breeds it shouldn't be used on. You can find a list of breeds you can and can't use it on here http://caninechic.wordpress.com/category/furminator/

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

You should be able to use it on a short coated dog - our cats are short coated.

However, there are some breeds it shouldn't be used on. You can find a list of breeds you can and can't use it on here http://caninechic.wordpress.com/category/furminator/

Great thanks for that, it should be fine, she is on the recommended list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

curry comb

I got this comb from zooplus for just £4.99 - the amount of hair that came of my dog was amazing. Her coat looks lovely as the winter coat was dulling her top coat.
    (thats assuming your dog doesn;t have an underlying problem, so probably best to check with your vet to see if it is excessive)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

My collie moults heavily to the point where her hair is very thin, not quite to baldy point but her skin tends to become dry and her hair thin. No matter what diet she's on, she always looks a bit miserable like a poor little neglected homless dog when she moults heavily so have put her on the seven seas vitapet moult tonic, she's been on it for just over a week and have been giving her some oily fish now and then as well as some extra food and treats.

The difference is amazing within the space of two weeks her coat is much shinier and thicker and she has put on a bit of weight as well, she always looks scrawny after loosing her thick winter coat guess I'm used to her being big and cuddly but when she looses the coat she looks so small again.

It really is good stuff, I find it more effective than fish alone. Well it works for her anyway. It's about 8 quid a bottle but you only need about a teaspoon a day or every other day if feeding fish or whatever as well don't want to over do the vitamin A in the oil etc. It lasts for ages.

I'm sorry I didn't take a good before and after pic. I swear by that seven seas vitapet stuff works every year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

I`ve had our dogs on Cod Liver Oil for about 2 weeks and still no difference, brushing them and there coats are clean, no signs of bald patchs they look perfect and there coats are shining. I can brush them til the cows come home and I`d never see there skin, the hair just keeps on coming off and coming off lol, I`m thinking of boxing it all and selling it...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

lewis wrote: »
    I`ve had our dogs on Cod Liver Oil for about 2 weeks and still no difference, brushing them and there coats are clean, no signs of bald patchs they look perfect and there coats are shining. I can brush them til the cows come home and I`d never see there skin, the hair just keeps on coming off and coming off lol, I`m thinking of boxing it all and selling it...:eek:

Same as our lad , birds had a great time nicking his tufts that blew away when we brushed him out side. Just the time of year with our lad and the amount of hair he's shedding. And he just loves the brush and the attention he gets :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Well keep an eye out for my product, hair today hair tomorrow, hehehehe:p

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

Hi guys,

my little dog (crossbreed coarse haired terrier) is shedding an awful lot this weather to the extent that my housemates are starting to get annoyed with her sleeping in the house! I really don't want to put her out in the shed as I don't think it's fair to disrupt her like that and would worry about her in the winter months! I have bought two different brushes for her but they both are made of metal :eek: which seems to hurt her even when I brush gently!! One I bought specifically because it said it was a soft brush!! :rolleyes:

I want to make brushing an enjoyable experience for her as its something I think would help with the shedding but I hate the fact that she seems to hate it!! Has anyone any recommendations for a nice soft brush or any other ways to help reduce the shedding?? Would using a brush designed for humans be a bad idea??

I'm living in rented accommodation and know that it will be very difficult to find somewhere else if I end up having to move and tbh the garden where I am now is quite big by Dublin standards which is also great for herself!

Any help appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Slicker brushes are good for getting out hair etc. My dogs are uber fluffy and we use those brushes. Daisy the pup doesn't mind tooo much ,but Lily hates being groomed. Just lots of praise and maybe a treat after they get done might encourage her?
    Some dogs will whine when you do it, to get you to stop. But it doesn't always mean it's hurting them. I've used the brush on my own arm and it's not sore.

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

star-pants wrote: »
    Slicker brushes are good for getting out hair etc. My dogs are uber fluffy and we use those brushes. Daisy the pup doesn't mind tooo much ,but Lily hates being groomed. Just lots of praise and maybe a treat after they get done might encourage her?
    Some dogs will whine when you do it, to get you to stop. But it doesn't always mean it's hurting them. I've used the brush on my own arm and it's not sore.

Have to say she is very good and will put up with it for a few minutes but these brushes hurt me so I would imagine they hurt her too... I'll have a look for those brushes when I get to a pet shop!! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

they look like this btw - http://www.dingdarlin.co.uk/userfiles/image/slicker_brush.jpg
    (random google image). I'd advise getting a small comb for around the face/moustaches :)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

You're lucky to be able to have a dog if in rented accommodation, sharing with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭vodkababy

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_grooming_care/combs_brushes/139269

Good brush....have about 5 others and don't do as good a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Furminator all the way, these brushes are amazing, much better than anything else out there. They are well worth the money. Have a look on ebay as they are cheaper there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Just got my furminator delivered today.
    Bought on ebay for a total of €8, including delivery.

I am AMAZED at how good this is. The excess fur comes off so easily with so little effort.

Just look on ebay and go get yourself one.

Advertisement