Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie looking for expert advice on buying a caravan

Options
  • 08-06-2009 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just looking to pick your brains about buying a caravan.

We essentially are looking for a 4+ Berth van that's €6k or under and relatively new. It's daunting to browse them online as the range of price,age,berth etc is huge. We're also leaning towards a trader rather than a private seller for peace of mind if nothing else. This caught our eye and I just want to get some opinions on it-

http://www.hawkfieldcaravans.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63:2001-elddis-storm-crusader&catid=30:elddis&Itemid=37

We're popping up to have a look at it tomorrow night....is there anything in particular to look out for when buying a caravan? Car's are easy- I know what to check but vans are a mystery to me :D

I hope someone can help,

Adam :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There's one thing very much wrong with it ...it has no engine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

peasant wrote: »
    There's one thing very much wrong with it ...it has no engine :D

:D:D:D

You had me worried before I finished the sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The only thing that know about caravens is that you don't want damp, rot or water running down the inside

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

yes -rot is the problem, no different from camper.

check everything from taps, water pump, shower, water heater.

check electrics..
    Check for swelling along body - dampness, etc.

21ft - check corners for filling...(crash damage)
    check corner steadies work correctly...( crash damage, rust.)
    Look in front storage area with flashlight.. check for damage in there, hard to hide that.

Twin axle - good for road
    check tyres for cracks & spare..
    Big Skylight? a must in any caravan, gets warm in them!
    Waste tank
    Clean Water barrel
    Barbeque outlet...

Shop around - some places are giving a free awning.... worth it

Look in autotrader for different layouts.. bunkbeds at rear maybe?

Check you vehicle can pull it read this http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/801876BF-A519-46FF-BC4F-F2DF284BD52C/0/YourTopTwentyQuestions.pdf

have fun with what you get, always load it with the weight balanced. you'd be amased how even moving a duvet can change the "feel" of the machine behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Previous posters have covered everything. Try bargain for an Awning and a motor mover which makes manovering easier.
    Looks like a fine caravan, friends recently pruchased similiar from the UK and reckon it's much easier/lighter to tow than their single axle caravan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

That's a big caravan so you will need a big car to tow it. Check your match on http://www.whattowcar.com. You should be as close as possible to 85%. As others have said check for damp. The best way to do this is with a damp meter. Check along all the seals for evidence of resealing - not necessarily a bad thing if done properly but can be evidence of a poor damp repair. Check out the CRiS registration. Get as much included in the sale as possible - you will need awning + groundsheet, aquaroll, waste container, leisure battery, wheelclamp, hitchlock, ramps and lots more. You will need an extra grey socket added to your towbar for charging the battery / fridge while on the move. The twin axle may be easier to tow but it is much harder to manouver in tight spaces.

db wrote: »
    That's a big caravan so you will need a big car to tow it. Check your match on http://www.whattowcar.com. You should be as close as possible to 85%. As others have said check for damp. The best way to do this is with a damp meter. Check along all the seals for evidence of resealing - not necessarily a bad thing if done properly but can be evidence of a poor damp repair. Check out the CRiS registration. Get as much included in the sale as possible - you will need awning + groundsheet, aquaroll, waste container, leisure battery, wheelclamp, hitchlock, ramps and lots more. You will need an extra grey socket added to your towbar for charging the battery / fridge while on the move. The twin axle may be easier to tow but it is much harder to manouver in tight spaces.

Thanks a million everyone.

DB, we got a score 90 on whattowcar with the exact matches for our car (1.8l Land Rover Freelander) and the caravan so I'm assuming it should be ok.

Would one of those motorised van movers be a worthwhile purchase to assist with manouverabilty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

I have a motor mover on my caravan to help get it in a narrow gateway and down a sloped drive. They are brilliant - the neighbours often stop for a chat as they can't get over seeing a remote controlled caravan. My mover cost €1000 but you will pay more for a twin axel. You should be OK at 90% but do try not to overload the caravan - once you put in the awning, tables, chairs, gas clothes, tv, etc the weight adds up very quickly. If you put a mover on this will also add to the weight. Check the other dealers around the country to see what other layouts are available. Thiose that I have been to have always been very helpful.

Once again id like to thank everyone for their expert advice,its greatly appreciated!
    We went and had a look at it last night and we were very impressed. Just gonna have a look at a few more tonight and make a decision. I might see some of you around on our travels :)

Advertisement