Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why did i do physics?

Options
  • 08-06-2009 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

anyone else totally screwed when it comes to that subject?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Lol, I did it last year but I dropped it and took up Business Studies at the beginning of this year. Luckily there was a repeat class I was thrown into.. ^^
    Best of luck anyway man! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

Drop down to pass they give you half the answers is rediculasly easy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

if you gave an evening to doing the experiments you might feel more positive about it. worked for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭kevogy

its easy to pass if you can put your mind to in in the next few days

learn a max of around 14 expiriments (leave out the electricity ones too hard and the ones that came up last year)

do 3-4 per night get help of the internet, learn them formula, learn 1-2 precautions, write them out on card, do small diagrams, do sample graphs, do past questions on them,

then will probly get 25% out of 30%.
    surly you can scrape up 10-15 percent within Q5-12
    and get a pass

i did this for the mocks and ended up with 58%, greatest achievement ever
    doing the same for the leavin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Electricity come up question 4 every year...

Only do sound, electricity and mechanics and you're covered with no choice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

look at Q5 from 2008. They will be in 2009 somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Not screwed anymore 'cause I dropped, main problem was not one formula would stay in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

I'm absolutley screwed!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

Screwed for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Having to remember all those formulae is a bit pointless really, innit ?

If you think about it, 50% or more of the physics course is a bit pointless, with the silly graphs and such.

This coming from someone seriously considering doing physics in third-level ! (Teetering between computer science and physics....I love computers, but physicists are paid so much more !)

Edit ; Screwed also, btw.

• Advertisement

Jeebus wrote: »
    I love computers, but physicists are paid so much more !)

Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Having to remember all those formulae is a bit pointless really, innit ?

If you think about it, 50% or more of the physics course is a bit pointless, with the silly graphs and such.

This coming from someone seriously considering doing physics in third-level ! (Teetering between computer science and physics....I love computers, but physicists are paid so much more !)

Edit ; Screwed also, btw.
    You think graphs are silly and want to be a physicist? That doesnt bode well. If you cant transform everything you observe into graph form in your head.. Dont do physics. Or engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

...If you think about it, 50% or more of the physics course is a bit pointless, with the silly graphs and such...

This coming from someone seriously considering doing physics in third-level ! ...

Oh dear god.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou:)

Im terrified of physics,!!!!!!!! :( I'm good in class and class tests but my mock was TERRIBLE!!!!!:eek:
    A little less scard now dou coz that link's class.

www.mathsphysics.com

Good for experiments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Hey guys, looks like I'm gonna be a physicist, got into ucd. But anyone know of the salaries that a typical physicist gets?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭wireless101

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    Hey guys, looks like I'm gonna be a physicist, got into ucd. But anyone know of the salaries that a typical physicist gets?:confused:

Sweet **** all as far as I know.

No LHC in Ireland, unfortunately.

OP i know how oyu feel! i hated physics and spent 5th yr telling myself i would manage! half way through 6th i decided id drop it and take up geography!

But i struggled on...i.e.i just ignored it and only revised the experiments! i knew 2 formulae going into the exam! checked my script last night, 42.5%!

My advice OP would be drop physics if your only going into 6th year, a year is plenty of time for many subjescts such as economics, business and geography!

oh i just looked at the date the op posted! oh well might be some advice for someone else!

• Advertisement

Michaelrsh wrote: »

It's like asking how long is a piece of string, really.

It's such a broad and varying field that there is no set salary, it really depends on what you do with your degree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

Physics is in simpleton terms.....frustrating.

If you don't listen in class you're f*****. I'd know from experience. I studied for the L.C as i really wanted to do well in it and came out with a B3.

Best way to learn is to study marking schemes. By familiarising yourself with what they take as answers to specific questions, you'll be sorted WHEN the pop up again.

LISTEN IN CLASS, STUDY OFTEN, AND PRACTISE FORMULA BASED Q's.

You'll thank me next august.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

celtic723 wrote: »
    Physics is in simpleton terms.....frustrating.

If you don't listen in class you're f*****. I'd know from experience. I studied for the L.C as i really wanted to do well in it and came out with a B3.

Best way to learn is to study marking schemes. By familiarising yourself with what they take as answers to specific questions, you'll be sorted WHEN the pop up again.

LISTEN IN CLASS, STUDY OFTEN, AND PRACTISE FORMULA BASED Q's.

You'll thank me next august.

Very true I second that! Listen!! I was looking at my physics exam paper and realised that some of the stuff I didn't answer, or didn't get correct, my teacher had already told us but very very briefly because the physics course was very boards and large amounts of time couldn't be spend doing one section. I guess the same could be said for some other subjects too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Phew,looks like we get it handy. I study physics/chemistry as a combined subject. No experiments,one exam paper. Handy out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

My friends who did physics and got an A1 thought it was easier than chemistry in which they got a1s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Denzillacey

Drop down to pass they give you half the answers is rediculasly easy! :D

I agree with this....lol...

There is actually a reading comprehension on the paper and the answers are in the text....look at the past papers...easy subject at ordinary!

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

The original poster has asked the same question that people have been asking for years. You are not alone.

Advertisement