Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apps Store - Free Apps

Options
  • 08-06-2009 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

Noob here.

I wanted to try out one of the may free apps via iTunes but I find I have to enter my full CC details to get a free app. I'm very uncomfortable with this. Is this the norm or have I strayed into scam territory?

Can I add free apps to my iPhone any other way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Hagar wrote: »
    Noob here.

I wanted to try out one of the may free apps via iTunes but I find I have to enter my full CC details to get a free app. I'm very uncomfortable with this. Is this the norm or have I strayed into scam territory?

Can I add free apps to my iPhone any other way?
    Apple get this request a lot, see the link below to fix it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2534

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Nope, credit card is not mandatory.

I have set up a US and a UK iTunes account without providing any credit card details (already have Irish iTunes account with credit card details attached).

I would imagine it would be the same in France, Hagar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Yeah but it's in French and I'm afraid of losing something in the translation.
    I've changed my country to Ireland and now I'm trying out the link kindly provided by cpu-dude.
    I still can't make sense of it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hagar wrote: »
    Yeah but it's in French and I'm afraid of losing something in the translation.

Ask the Young Fella to translate for you. :)

You can use the Irish iTunes account on a French iPhone, the only difference being that it will check your credit card is Irish issued in order for it to be used with an Irish account.

So, you can't use a French credit card with an Irish account. I've tried an Irish credit card with both a UK and US account and neither would accept it.

The other minor thing is that you will only see apps that are available in Ireland with an Irish account. In other words, if there are some French apps that you want, you won't be able to see them with an Irish account (and vice versa).

I have it all working in English. ;)

I've got as far as receiving the verification email and clicking the link.
    I now have a Loading please wait and click on itunes if nothing happens which I have done. When I then try to sign in it gives me the message you have to verify by clicking the email link.

I'm not getting the "Congratulations" screen that I richly deserve.

Round and round it goes.

• Advertisement

I've worked it out. iPhones are little electronic wimmin.
    They look great, cost a fortune, great to play with but a bloody pain in the behind. I still can't get any joy.
    [Rant]Apple my ar**, at least MS only gives you the BSOD then behaves when you turn it back on. This is the most intransigent piece of kit I've ever had the misfortune to run into. [/rant]

Finally got it to work.

The verification link doesn't work if you use Firefox, it works first time in Internet Explorer.

Now I'm off to do some shopping.

Advertisement