Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snag Lists

Options
  • 08-06-2009 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping some of you can share your experiences of getting work done by a builder following your snag being done.

Do builders generally quibble over minor things and how long should it take from the time the snag report is submitted to the time that the work is completed?

My sister is a FTB and hasn't a clue so I'm hoping you might fill in the gaps! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Salome wrote: »
    I'm hoping some of you can share your experiences of getting work done by a builder following your snag being done.

Do builders generally quibble over minor things and how long should it take from the time the snag report is submitted to the time that the work is completed?

My sister is a FTB and hasn't a clue so I'm hoping you might fill in the gaps! :)

Never ever fully pay a builder (or close on buying a new property) until you are happy that the snag is done to the level you are happy with. If a builder refuses to carry out some work on your snag list ask them "Why?". Sometimes they can actually have a decent reason as to why they cannot do something on the list.

Tell the builder from Day 1 that they won't get paid until the snag list is fully completed, although this sounds like it's stating the obvious it will help focus the builder's mind on getting the snag done quickly and completely.

I have gotten calls from builders stating that my snag list is complete only to turn up and there to be 60%+ of items on the list not done - it's quite normal for this to happen but as builders really need money now they should be a bit more attentive.

It can take a couple of months for a snag to be done properly.

The best bit of advice I can give is NEVER complete the sale until you are 100% happy that everything is done to your satisfaction EVEN if it means you put off moving in for a couple of months. As soon as you close you have very little chance of getting the builders back to complete the work.

As the National Consumer's Agency boss Anne Fitzgerald has said, you have more consumer rights buying a kettle than you have buying a home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭bobbiw

Salome wrote: »

You can keep arguing about snag lists forever if you like. You dont pay until its done so they will do it. Better now than later because they will be difficult to get back.

Given that a loss in value is guaranteed I would argue over the slightest thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Just did a snag list today and found that the attic had NO insulation whatsoever!! I just don't understand what was going through the builders mind to think that he could try sell me a house with no insulation. It's like trying to sell a car without tyres.
    That's my experience of snag lists......so far.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

fletch wrote: »
    Just did a snag list today and found that the attic had NO insulation whatsoever!! I just don't understand what was going through the builders mind to think that he could try sell me a house with no insulation. It's like trying to sell a car without tyres.
    That's my experience of snag lists......so far.... :)

If the builder was prepared to cut corners to the extent of omitting attic insulation then I'd be getting antsy about his having omitted wall/floor insulation (in the case of concrete flooring) too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

If the builder was prepared to cut corners to the extent of omitting attic insulation then I'd be getting antsy about his having omitted wall/floor insulation (in the case of concrete flooring) too.
    Yes it does have me a little worried alright....how could I go about getting walls checked for insulation??

Edit: I'm looking at organising a thermographic audit of the property now, hopefully that should uncover any cost cutting measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

fletch wrote: »
    Yes it does have me a little worried alright....how could I go about getting walls checked for insulation??

Edit: I'm looking at organising a thermographic audit of the property now, hopefully that should uncover any cost cutting measures.

Sounds like the way to go. You'll probably need to be instructing the operator that you want a thorough investigation throughout the building. Try to get on-side with the Thermo op. and get him interested in going through the place with a fine tooth comb. You'd be best advised to attend with him but not have the builder on site at the time. He should be able to detect draught issues too, along with the quality of heating pipe insulation.

The issue isn't that you'll find issues. The issue is that you find everything you can so as to pragmatically evaluate what to highlight with the builder and what to discard as 'life isn't perfect' issues

You're not only interested in whether there's insulation behind walls/floor but also on the performance-level of it (up to current building standard) and the extent of it (no breaks, missing bits, cold bridging due to poor construction technique).

Advertisement