Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Workshops

Options
  • 08-06-2009 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone was aware of any carpentry workshops that could be used by members of the public? I have a small project that i'm working on (Ukulele neck) but as a product of unfortunate circumstances I no longer own my own tools nor do I have a workshop to work in.

It's a short and simple project but I couldn't afford to set myself up in tools/space at the moment. Is there any rentable or free woodwork rooms you know of? I was thinking of asking if I could use the ones in my college but I think there's insurance issues there as a tutor/lecturer/technician must be present with students working there.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hi Legologic, never came across an "open workshop". I would imagine same as your college it would be an insurance minefield.

The insurance would also be a possible problem if some one was to offer you the use of their personal shop and tools and there was an accident....

One option is possibly to enrol in a night class and see if you can finish your project as part of the course?

Good luck,I'm going to have a go at a guitar one of these years

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

Thanks aerosol

This is pretty much how I figured it would be but though it was worth a try. There's adult evening courses in my area alright but I figured they'd have a prescribed course. I may look into that though as it didn't cross my mind. It might be a way around the insurance issue.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

Lego,
    i did a course in dublin in Rosmini. After a couple of nights of basic joints you nominate a project to do. Or if you talk to the guy doing the course he might just let you work on the project. He did mention that he had done that before. You may not find out a yes/no until you start the course though. I reckon that if you look like you know what you are doing they let you use the big boy tools.

hope this helps

ennisa wrote: »
    Lego,
    i did a course in dublin in Rosmini. After a couple of nights of basic joints you nominate a project to do. Or if you talk to the guy doing the course he might just let you work on the project. He did mention that he had done that before. You may not find out a yes/no until you start the course though. I reckon that if you look like you know what you are doing they let you use the big boy tools.

hope this helps

Wow... that's great news ennisa.

This helps greatly as I'm quite close to rosmini I done a sign language course there before. I also used to know a school woodwork teacher there. I dont know if it's the same teacher for the night courses but if it is he'll know my level of woodwork.

This is very encouraging, I'll definitely check that out. Thanks a mil. :)

Just looked up their website there. While it's not the school teacher, I just happen to know the guy who runs the evening courses too :D:D:D

PROVIDENCE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gavatron86

Legologic,
    I posted a thread similar to yours, just wondered if you found a workshop, i'm looking for something in dublin similar to the National Sculpture Factory in Cork, nothing as yet however.

Hey Gavatron

Unfortunately I haven't yet found one yet. The place in Rosmini might be an option but it has time limitations and costs €160 to cover the course. I'm still looking though. If you do find anything please post it here or send me a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

If it's a one off job buying a few cheap tools might be cheaper than paying the price of a course.

Advertisement