Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athiest Religions

Options
  • 08-06-2009 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Recently I have been thinking a lot about the idea of non-theistic religions. Buddhism for example particularly Zen Buddhism while it celebrates the life of Gautama Siddhartha the original Buddha (Or enlightened one) reminds people that he was simply a human just with a great understanding. As Zen Buddhism does not subscribe to the belief in any form of deity is it contradictory to be called a Buddhist Atheist?

I'm interested in the thoughts of Atheists on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What about the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

Gordon wrote: »

Take your pastafarian beliefs out of here! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭DTrotter

Gordon wrote: »

I'll remain a spagnostic until the evidence comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

legologic wrote: »
    Recently I have been thinking a lot about the idea of non-theistic religions. Buddhism for example particularly Zen Buddhism while it celebrates the life of Gautama Siddhartha the original Buddha (Or enlightened one) reminds people that he was simply a human just with a great understanding. As Zen Buddhism does not subscribe to the belief in any form of deity is it contradictory to be called a Buddhist Atheist?

I'm interested in the thoughts of Atheists on this.

Some Buddhists are atheists. That's not a contradiction.

Atheist doesn't mean areligionist (though the only religion I know of without a deity is Buddhism). All it means is that you don't believe in a(n interventionist) god.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Some Buddhists are atheists. That's not a contradiction.
    Actually it is. An Atheist is a non-Theist, as all Buddhists believe in reincarnation and meditate regularly then by definition one cannot be a Buddhist and an Atheist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Actually it is. An Atheist is a non-Theist, as all Buddhists believe in reincarnation and meditate regularly then by definition one cannot be a Buddhist and an Atheist
    You're confusing a disbelief in the supernatural with athiesm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

There's a difference between Superstition and Religion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

I think it's that there's a difference between atheistic and aspiritual/skeptic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

'Fear of invisible powers, whether those powers are feigned or publicly allowed from tales, is [religion]; if they are not publicly allowed, [superstition].'

(Hobbes, Leviathan, I. vi. [36])

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

It is not a contradiction.

Reincarnation is not a god, nor is meditation.

Atheism is the lack of belief in a god or gods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

Actually, your incorrect. Neither of the two imply atheism and buddhism are incompatible.

Advertisement