Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping people at Cinemas?

Options
  • 08-06-2009 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭

planning on going to the cinema tomorrow night, but i've read some stuff with people saying they're stopping people going in,to check their bags...?? Is this true. Planning on bringing goodies with me, as they're way too expensive to buy,just want to know is it both the omniplex and storm that do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Never had it happen to me at Storm, nor have I seen it happen. But it makes sense to check some bags as someone could be carrying in a means of recording the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sunshineallday

just at dundrum cineMa 2 nights ago never happend. And have never heard of it (I go to alot of films)

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

thye have signs up alright,,but i have never seen them checking anyone's bag,,

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Used to work in a cinema, they dont check your bags at all

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What right do they have to search bags legally?

Only approved security guards can search bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Not sure what rights they have really. Most places won't care if you bring in your own food tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Most places won't care if you bring in your own food tbh.

Except Restaurants

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

Berty wrote: »
    What right do they have to search bags legally?

Only approved security guards can search bags.

They have none at all. Not even licenced or approved security can search bags, they can ask to search you and your bags but if you refuse they can't do much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I've never been stopped going into Storm but then again I don't bring a handbag:D. If your worried just bring a jacket and stuff the pockets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭strettie

In Eye cinema in Galway no bags allowed in to cinema must be left at ticket desk :mad:

Solution for getting goodies in wear jacket with biggest pockets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 times'a'wastin

ive not seen anyone searching bags in storm and nobody has asked me either.

But if you are worried just stuff your pockets like the other posters said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

ive not seen anyone searching bags in storm and nobody has asked me either.

But if you are worried just stuff your pockets like the other posters said
    but can they actually stop u bringing food in?? why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 times'a'wastin

im not too sure it could be that they want to make sure you aren't bringing cameras or alcohol in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Well I'm a girl, and I do bring a handbag, and my jacket pockets are tiny.my OH might be able to fit some stuff in I suppose. Though this trip was meant to be a surprise but wont be if I ask him to stuff his pockets with stuff! Suppose I'll chance it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

BravoMike wrote: »
    They have none at all. Not even licenced or approved security can search bags, they can ask to search you and your bags but if you refuse they can't do much about it.

yes they do. if you check in the terms and conditions it will most likely say something about customers cannot consume food or drink which hasnt been sold to them on the premisess. thje very same as going into a restraunt you cant bring your own food. you can however bring water as it is a nesesity
    can however bring in water as it is nesesity.

just hide the goodies in your pockets if you can til you get past the ticket taker:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

and how is that relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

We always go to Tesco and buy goodies, then bring them in in the Tesco bag. The cinema is Movies at Dundrum.

If anyone asks, i'll just say i've been doing my shopping. The cinema IS in a shopping centre after all. Feck them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭strettie

Anyone else notice my usual cinema treat , of a bag of maltesers 2 months ago contained 175g but today only contains 135g and is still the same price ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Never been stopped in Limerick, although years ago
    I remember in the Savoy they used to pull people for going in with Bags and
    had signs up about only being allowed consume food purchased their.

The staff in the Cinema in Galway years ago when I was going into see a movie
    asked me if I would like to leave my bag into some room they had for customers,
    and I said no thanks, then they started getting pushy about it but I still refused
    and they were fine with it.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I've been to Storm Cinema loads of times, and on many occasions I have brought in a plastic Superquinn bag, full of bagged popcorn, sweets and bottled drinks.
    I think I even went in with a McFlurry once.

I have never been stopped once.
    In fact, a good few times the ticket bay (ie the entrance to the screens where the guy tears your ticket) has been unmanned.
    We just walked straight in!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

BravoMike wrote: »

thats probably true but they do have the right to refuse admission and therefore if you refuse to show them your bag they could easily say that you cant come in,it would be suspicious if you didnt show them your bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Gambra

Pretty sure this has been going on for years in the Omniplex. I remember this going on even when I was young!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Paulegend wrote: »
    yes they do. if you check in the terms and conditions it will most likely say something about customers cannot consume food or drink which hasnt been sold to them on the premisess. thje very same as going into a restraunt you cant bring your own food. you can however bring water as it is a nesesity
    can however bring in water as it is nesesity.

just hide the goodies in your pockets if you can til you get past the ticket taker:)

I only caught this second hand from my sister, but there was someone on the Gerry Ryan show complaining about this and apparently they were in the know. Something about the fact they had bought their ticket, the ticket was the contract and nowhere did it mention not being allowed bringing in their own food. Also this business of saying on signs you cannot consume food not bought on the premises only has legality when applied to places with restaurant licenses. The cinema staff caved in anyway and the person got in with their own popcorn depsite the staff threatening to ring the cops.

Also, instrusive searching is supposed to be illegal. They can look into the bag but not touch your possessions. And if they insist on taking your bag and storing it in a room somewhere then they have to have insurance to cover potential loss/theft, or the cinema goer can outright refuse to hand it over.

I have no clue if any of this is accurate. From personal experience I was only stopped once ever and pointed out I didn't see the sign and nothing is mentioned on the ticket and if they wanted to stop us they'd have to refund all of us. Worked for me. Peronsally I think they won't stop anyone once you have bought your ticket and push your case. As far as I'm concerned the likes of Storm Cinemas and others can shove their food up their arses. 4.50 for a large coke in Storm!! What a joke. And a bag of M&M's which I believe was over 200grams is now 175grams and still the same price. To add insult to injury they sneakily put the price of a ticket up to 9.80. The Omniplex in Limerick are as bad. Used to sell a small, medium and large drink. Suddently the large size dissapeared and medium was promoted to large, same for small becoming the medium. But prices stayed the same. Cinemas are always looking for ways to rip people off. Wouldn't be surprised if they brought in cloakrooms and insisted people pay 2 euro to put their coats/jackets in and it was compulsory. Tossers. Noone with an ounce of sense should go to these shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

planning on going to the cinema tomorrow night, but i've read some stuff with people saying they're stopping people going in,to check their bags...?? Is this true. Planning on bringing goodies with me, as they're way too expensive to buy,just want to know is it both the omniplex and storm that do this?

Stick some Minstrels up your bum just in case.

The chocolates, not the wandering musicians. That's just be weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Stupidusername - Neither cinemas check in Limerick. But regardless, walk in with your stuff in a centra or dunnes bag, and if they ask to look at it, just open the bag so they can peak in at all your goodies. If they say you can't eat it on the premises, say you bought your ticket already and it says nowhere on the ticket that you can't bring in food and you consider the ticket to be their terms and conditions. If they ask to search your handbag, let them peek inside but don't let them touch it as they have no legal right to mess with your belongings.

Btw, I went to Storm last night to see "The Hangover" and wasn't even asked for my ticket, they were so lax. Regardless it didn't stop me from walking in with my 1.25litre share size bottle coke and extra large toblarone clearly visible sticking out of a paper bag. I wouldn't take any sh*t from them if they did stop me.

Advertisement