Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

definition of a Spoilt Vote

Options
  • 08-06-2009 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Does anyone know where you can get the definitions for a spoilt vote.

In the last election someone informed me that they made their number 1 and 2 choice and then proceed to hash out the remaining boxes (They said it was to prevent anyone else entering in the rest of the numbers. 3 etc.) I couldn't tell them if they has spoilt their vote or not, because i don't know. I am aware that if your write something on your ballot other that the 1,2 etc then your vote is spoilt but just cross-hashing a box after entering in your preferences. I don't know?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Id assume if you got your numbers mixed up, your vote is spoiled. If you write anything on the paper etc

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

Sully wrote: »
    Id assume if you got your numbers mixed up, your vote is spoiled. If you write anything on the paper etc
    I don't think that would be defined as a spoiled vote. While in theory there should be no other mark on the paper the practicalities are that after the sorting of votes all the doubtful and spoiled votes are checked in front of candidates/agents by returning oficer. Generally there is agreement that what they are looking for is a clear defined preference and i think from my experience that 1 and 2 fulfill that. Some returning officers might be very sticky but generally common sense prevails.

Secndly if someone puts down 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc the paper would be seen to be valid for 1 and 2 but non transferable after than

And finally for all those candidates who did not do as well in areas as they had read from doorstep reactions i will remind them of a true paper i saw once at a recount when checking spoiled votes. The voter had marked 1 1 1 1 1 all the way down for each candidate and at the bottom had written "as promised" !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

Ticking instead of writing numbers (I saw that numerous times over the weekend:D)

and writing Barack Obama at the bottom and giving him a tick :pac:

Advertisement