Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Family Law Question

• 08-06-2009 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15

Hi,

Just wondering about this. Been married 2 years, we had the 2 kids before we got married and now I heard something that eventhough hubbie is kids father he should have adopted them for legal reasons once we got married, that joint custody isn't automatic just because we got married and both of us are the biological parents.
    Is this correct or do I just leave things the way they are?.

Just need clarification that's all?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 katy_00

As far as I' aware from my own dealings...you both have guardianship of the kids because you were married i.e. the hubby doesn't have to apply for guardianship (a right to a say in the childs life...school, doctor etc). If you hadn't been married then he would need to apply for this through the court.

No need to adopt for legal reasons as he is the biological father so therefore couldn't adopt.

Have been through the whole seperation and divorce process and my partner has also been through it so I've seen it from both sides......courts are definitely in favour of the woman when it comes to the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Legal adoption is only necessary where the spouse is not the biological parent of the child. If your spouse is the biological father and his name is on the birth certs, you do not need to do anything further.

Advertisement