Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied MAths

Options
  • 08-06-2009 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

I know its a bit premature but how is everyone sorted for applied maths??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

At the moment not good, but hopefully I will get a lot of study done on the three days beforehand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

gonna go over differential equations now then leave the rest till the few days before

not even going to attempt relative velocitys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

lol, i got 40% in the pre...and i did nothing..this suject makes no sense to me, and don't ask me why i did it lol:o:p
    and haven't been doing anything since ...:o
    so yea...thank god it's my extra extra subject...:D

the pts for a D would be higher than my pass grade in english ..
    so yea, i hope i d pass it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

~Candy~ wrote: »
    lol, i got 40% in the pre...and i did nothing..this suject makes no sense to me, and don't ask me why i did it lol:o:p
    and haven't been doing anything since ...:o
    so yea...thank god it's my extra extra subject...:D

the pts for a D would be higher than my pass grade in english ..
    so yea, i hope i d pass it

you should try doing statics & Pulleys & wedges together they cross over a lot, then linear motion & projectiles cross over a lot

you only need 3 Q's to get 50% so i think youll get your D :)

you should try doing statics & Pulleys & wedges together they cross over a lot, then linear motion & projectiles cross over a lot

you only need 3 Q's to get 50% so i think youll get your D :)

awww thanks..we only covered 6Qs though..barely..
    Q1,2,3 Q4,5,8
    and i doubt i could get 3Qs fully right :o
    ah i wish i do physics and is a maths genius :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Iv 3 and a half days beforehand so i will be grand.

Got about 80 in the mocks and then 97 or so in the second mock our teacher set us.

Have 9 q's done, so nice choice, cant wait for it to be over!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

I'm hoping the three days of study before hand will go well, I don't see why they shouldn't... I haven't touched it now in over a week so hopefully it will come back, I might do some tonight. Have 7 questions done but I'm just going to decide on the day because the disparity in question difficulty can be ridiculous sometimes and there are always 2 or 3 stinkers floating about..

I would say that the worst thing about the entire subject is the placement of the exam...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

awww thanks..we only covered 6Qs though..barely..
    Q1,2,3 Q4,5,8
    and i doubt i could get 3Qs fully right :o
    ah i wish i do physics and is a maths genius :p

Ah, you don't need to get questions fully right. You can get 19/20 in a question and have the completely wrong answer. In fact, you can get an A in it and not have one answer right on the paper.

Marks are awarded in packs of 5, You can only lose 1 or 3 marks for any one mistake in the question - if you complete it out, even if its completely wrong, you'll get the rest of the marks.

If you get a question with Prove/show/etc in part (i) and part (ii) tells you to use the answer from part (i) (hence) just use what you should have gotten.

Ah, you don't need to get questions fully right. You can get 19/20 in a question and have the completely wrong answer. In fact, you can get an A in it and not have one answer right on the paper.

Marks are awarded in packs of 5, You can only lose 1 or 3 marks for any one mistake in the question - if you complete it out, even if its completely wrong, you'll get the rest of the marks.

If you get a question with Prove/show/etc in part (i) and part (ii) tells you to use the answer from part (i) (hence) just use what you should have gotten.

ahh thanks for telling me this, :D
    stilll... i guess the 'wrong answer' can't be that far off right ?:rolleyes:

ahh thanks for telling me this, :D
    stilll... i guess the 'wrong answer' can't be that far off right ?:rolleyes:

It can be pretty far off. If you've made some numerical slip, and carry on with the correct method, you can get damn close to full marks - even though your answer could be 50 times bigger or smaller than the correct answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

It can be pretty far off. If you've made some numerical slip, and carry on with the correct method, you can get damn close to full marks - even though your answer could be 50 times bigger or smaller than the correct answer.

Yeah, thats true actaully. I saw an example once, big differntial equation, used the wrong standard intergral, wrong answer = 17/25

But yeah, I'm jolly rodgered :(

What questions are ye planning on doing on the day, anyway?

I'm planning on lin. acc. motion, projectiles, statics, hydrostatics, collisions and differential equations. Have two spare, just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

I'm planning on liner motion, projectiles, relative velocity, collisions, moments of inertia and simple-harmonic/circular motion. I've got 9 questions ready though, so......dont hate me :o.

People who are planning on studying in the 3 days before it, dont!!. Applied maths is one of those subjects where you just need to keep going over it. I'd recomend doing 1 or 2 questions a day on top of other study, then doing as much as you want in the free days before it. I promise that'll make a big difference, just to get practice in and get your mind properly in AM mode!.

Oh, for anyone feeling daunted out there, i managed to pull myself up from 45% in the mocks to 74% in another mock i did in late may (and i am NOT a maths person!!). I dont want to be a smartarse, but just bare in mind that you *can* make a big improvement if you stay calm and try and get the work in. When i was feeling completely overwhelmed, and didn't even know where to start to drag my ass up, the brown book was my best friend :o. Doing out the examples really helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

I was thinking of just doing a small bit everyday from now on since the two big time burgulars that are english and maths are gone.

I'll be doing Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5 and then 2 out of Q1, Q10, Q8 depending on how they look, I may end up doing all 7 if things go well
    What questions are ye planning on doing on the day, anyway?

I'm planning on lin. acc. motion, projectiles, statics, hydrostatics, collisions and differential equations. Have two spare, just incase.

How are statics and hydrostatics in terms of difficulty, in comparison with other questions?

I haven't done them on the basis that my teacher deemed they were 'too hard', she said we would have done circular motion next had we had time..

Des23 wrote: »
    I was thinking of just doing a small bit everyday from now on since the two big time burgulars that are english and maths are gone.

I'll be doing Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5 and then 2 out of Q1, Q10, Q8 depending on how they look, I may end up doing all 7 if things go well

How are statics and hydrostatics in terms of difficulty, in comparison with other questions?

I haven't done them on the basis that my teacher deemed they were 'too hard', she said we would have done circular motion next had we had time..
    She's right. Circular motion is easier that statics and hydrostatics.

Statics is ok, but it's just a bit long and twisty. It all comes down to moments more or less, and it's not overly complicated or difficult, but some of the questions can be absolutely bat****.

Hydrostatics is souldestroyingly boring. Very confusing too, i thought. -1, would not buy again.

Des23 wrote: »

And i wouldn't recomend doing 7 questions tbh. That time would be much better served going back over your other questions. A guy in our school last year did each of his 6 questions out twice!!.

Got 7 A1s too. Hint ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Alexl

Im have 9 questions prepared but my hydrostatics is weak, I hate it so much, it was such a boring question so I never bothered paying attention.
    On the day I'll do in order of preference
    1. Linear Accelerated Motion
    2. Differential Equations
    3. Projectiles
    4. The pulley/wedge question
    5. Impacts and collisions
    6. Statics
    7. Relative Velocity
    8. Circular MOtion/ Simple Harmonic Motion.............

Advertisement