Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

return a CAR??

Options
  • 08-06-2009 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

hi, i bought a starler 96 on friday for 500. i drove home and fixed the brakes the following saturday. during this time i found that the screws which holds the calipers to the discs were broken on the passenger side.
    i was wondering if by law i can get my money back or would it be better to fix the car and sell it for a profit?

i'm really lost and my bank account is zilch :(

any suggestions would helpful.

thanks a mil for reading this post
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Did you buy the car knowing that there was a problem with the brakes and assuming that you could fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

I doubt you'll find the answer you seek in the Leaving Cert forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Moved from LC to Motors, sorry if this isn't the place for it... (LC definitely wasn't o.O).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Was it a private sale or from a trader/garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

hi, i bought a starler 96 on friday for 500. i drove home and fixed the brakes the following saturday. during this time i found that the screws which holds the calipers to the discs were broken on the passenger side.
    i was wondering if by law i can get my money back or would it be better to fix the car and sell it for a profit?

i'm really lost and my bank account is zilch :(

any suggestions would helpful.

thanks a mil for reading this post

There should be no screw holding the calliper onto the disc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

-Chris- wrote: »
    Was it a private sale or from a trader/garage?
    Presumably Private, Id be dubious of a Garage even stocking a "vintage" '96 Starlet and selling cars for as low as EUR500. Fast way to meet the repo men.
    If private OP, you a SOL, there is no way a EUR500 investment is worth going to Small Claims (or whatever Civil Court) over and the seller would know this.
    There should be no screw holding the calliper onto the disc.
    Yeah.. maybe he means the bolt(s) that holds the outside of the caliper to the inside (opposite of the disc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Caveat Emptor - Buyer beware would be my understanding here.

OP did you have the car checked by a mechanic prior to paying for it and driving off in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭neosmaster

OP
    Did you buy the car knowing there was something wrong with the brakes ?
    Is this why you done them on Saturday

If so and the seller informed you the brakes needed fixing I dont think you'll have any joy going back with the car as you both agreed the brakes needed doing regardless of whether it was a bigger job then you originally thought.

If not just as another boardsie stated for €500 it's a waste of time going to the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

neosmaster wrote: »
    If not just as another boardsie stated for €500 it's a waste of time going to the small claims court.

Well, the Small Claims Court only costs €15 euro, and is only for claims up to €2000 euro, and you don't need legal representation, so speaking *generally* I'd say a €500 dispute is exactly what the SCC is intended for.

Having said that, in this *specific* instance, if you bought the car privately (which it sounds like you did), the seller doesn't have the same responsibilities as a commercial seller, so you'd have no comeback in any case.

Buying privately, you pay your money you take your chances.

If you bought it from a commercial seller, your first port of call would be to go back and talk to them before even thinking about courts, etc. Although in fairness, for €500, you should expect there to be problems with the car, and it sounds like you already knew there were problems with the brakes when you bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭call d

I had to return a car to a chancer on turnpike road, under warranty, he had the big SIMI sign outside, the nicest guy you could meet till I came back with the car then the messing started, so if op is a private sale I would'nt hold out much hope of a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

bazz26 wrote: »
    Caveat Emptor - Buyer beware would be my understanding here.

OP did you have the car checked by a mechanic prior to paying for it and driving off in it?

Real good chance he didn't fork out the 60 or so squid for a car check when he paid 500 notes for the sh1tter.

Lesson learnt OP but for 500 big 1's what were you expecting?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, €500 for a 96 starlet is a lot of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Why not buy the required bolts from a Toyota dealer...they won't cost the earth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 i_have_scutts

no i didnt have a mech with me..even if i did, he wouldnt have been able to check it
    it was a private sale too :(
    guess its my faukt for being a dope about it. tot i was getting a bargain as starlets go for 1500 on carzone

eh, how do i move this thread??? (jus registered on boards.ie yester so ima noob :L)

and the bolts (not screws, my bad) broke in two so now half the bolt is stuck in . a local garage could'nt take em out...so i think i need a new hub...wondering how much a hub would cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

i :(
    guess its my faukt for being a dope about it. tot i was getting a bargain as starlets go for 1500 on carzone

Not trying to rub it in or anything but Starlets dont go for €1500 on carzone....people ASK €1500 for them but they dont get it. Dont worry in the grand scheme of things its a cheap lesson .....

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

no i didnt have a mech with me..even if i did, he wouldnt have been able to check it
    it was a private sale too :(

eh, how do i move this thread??? (jus registered on boards.ie yester so ima noob :L)

and the bolts (not screws, my bad) broke in two so now half the bolt is stuck in . a local garage could'nt take em out...so i think i need a new hub...wondering how much a hub would cost

You'll be grand ... just get a secondhand hub from a breaker and put it on. Probably get one for 50 quid or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 i_have_scutts

thanks for the posts. think i'll end this topic now...how do i end it? :L:L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

thanks for the posts. think i'll end this topic now...

Done! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement