Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of buying a Hyundai Accent

Options
  • 08-06-2009 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for some opinions of this:

Red 2005 Hyundai Accent, 5 door, 1.3 Petrol, 1 previous owner, 84,000km on the clock selling for €5500 (will get €500 off that if I use my 01 corsa as a trade in).

Never been NCTd due to its age but mechanic says if it fails for any reason then he will take it back and repair anything that needs to be done. He sees no reason why it should fail.

What do you all think? Bargain or a waste?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

two things
    1 never buy a car with no nct either owner is lazy (and dosen't maintain his car) or there is an issue

2 never buy an accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

kingtut wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for some opinions of this:

Red 2005 Hyundai Accent, 5 door, 1.3 Petrol, 1 previous owner, 84,000km on the clock selling for €5500 (will get €500 off that if I use my 01 corsa as a trade in).

Never been NCTd due to its age but mechanic says if it fails for any reason then he will take it back and repair anything that needs to be done. He sees no reason why it should fail.

What do you all think? Bargain or a waste?

I could think of a plenty better ways to spend 5.5k to be honest than waste it on an Accident Accent.

Bargainig hard and maybe spending a couple of quid more on something like this

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/new-shap/200923193022065/advert?channel=CARS

or go back a year

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/1.4-LX/200914192331603/advert?channel=CARS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Your '01 Corsa is worth at least €1,500 so there's the first ripoff. Corsa keep their value better than most small cars. Sell it privately. Second is the Accent itself. It's not a bad car (although it's 10 years behind every other car), but it's not a good one either. You'll get a lot more for your money if you look at other makes and models. Finally I'd be wondering about a 4 year old car that hasn't been NCT'd. It should have been done in 2007 or 2008.

What engine size are you looking for? Any model preferences? Comfort, boot size etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭oconn

I have a 00 one for 5 years....hassle free except for light buylbs going at the start...Im not into cars or dont know much about them...
    they are fairly under powered and not a great drive ( this only dawned on me once i got another car and relegated the accent to number 2 ) but if you dont work on top gear and just want a reliable car thats light enough on petrol go for it....

FYI I have an octavia now too and they are a fantastic car....might be worth going back a few years and get one ??

Confab wrote: »
    Your '01 Corsa is worth at least €1,500 so there's the first ripoff. Corsa keep their value better than most small cars. Sell it privately. Second is the Accent itself. It's not a bad car (although it's 10 years behind every other car), but it's not a good one either. You'll get a lot more for your money if you look at other makes and models. Finally I'd be wondering about a 4 year old car that hasn't been NCT'd. It should have been done in 2007 or 2008.

What engine size are you looking for? Any model preferences? Comfort, boot size etc?

i agree you should get more for yer corsa they are an easy sell

have you driven an accent?? awful awful car

also nct is on 4th anniversery of car

Year 2002 onwards: All four year old cars and eligible older cars i.e pre 92 registered cars tested in the year 2000 will be eligible for testing again in year 2002 because testing is every two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 tzf60

I'm selling my '04 Skoda Fabia, see http://adverts.ie/100159 .

A much better car than a Hyundai, it's VW-engineered. The fabia always places high up in the JD Power surveys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Tigger wrote: »
    also nct is on 4th anniversery of car

My mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tigger wrote: »
    two things
    1 never buy a car with no nct either owner is lazy (and dosen't maintain his car) or there is an issue

Could be that or it could be a late reg and not be due yet. No point insisting on an NCT for a car that cant yet be NCT'd

(although it being June now, even if it's a december reg it can be done from now)

Stekelly wrote: »
    Could be that or it could be a late reg and not be due yet. No point insisting on an NCT for a car that cant yet be NCT'd

(although it being June now, even if it's a december reg it can be done from now)

i'm willing to bet that its a jan reg as a new accent would have been bought by a plate junkie (must have 05 plate in 2005) they seem gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Sounds like a poor deal , what condition /milage /NCT is on the Corsa

• Advertisement
Advertisement