Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

evp can be improved

Options
  • 08-06-2009 6:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Though I have seen franks box and have also seen recording devices being used to capture evps I don't understand why a recorder hasn't been built that takes the sound - filters it - amplifies it - etc. to be immediately played back so that a conversation can be more like talking on a phone.We have the technology and the the cost would be minimal and The results of an evp sesion would be more rewarding (in my opinion) as well as more understandable to both parties both living and deceased. Also if the answer wasn't clear you could ask again to have the message repeated without delay. Anyone know how to work with electronics? your fortune is waiting with this idea.
    Just a thought-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

the franks box is basically a radio - i wouldnt say it helps much in capturing EVPs but is handy in capturing random bits of audio from radio.

I dont get what you mean though by "filters it - amplifies it - etc. to be immediately played back so that a conversation can be more like talking on a phone" - you can filter any sound and chances are you can end up making it sound like a voice, plus its not really feasible in an investigation to be replaying and listening to recordings to see if theres any evps. you normally need good headphones or decent speakers and a bit of peace and quiet to do that properly ... plus you could be disturbing other people who could still be in the middle of their own recordings, research etc.

I thought the aim was to capture as clear an evp as possible so theres no mistaking what it is rather than amplify and tweak normal sounds until they sound like an evp?

Personally, if i have to do anything more than slightly eq and maybe slightly raise the volume on a prospective evp, then its obviously not clear and concise enough to be considered an evp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 oddmanout

I guess that my thoughts were not as clear as I first perceived them to be. I was not promoting the use of an improved franks box. I was suggesting that a normal dictation type recorder be combined with computer software that does the filtering, editing, as well as amplifying the sound so that the results of the recording would be more immediate making it so a conversation with the deceased wouldn't be so onesided. It would save all recordings so it could be uploaded on a software program if the investigator so chose to. Instead of taking your recorder and plugging it into your computer to use the software to filter, edit or amplify what it picked up, the device would do that for you within a matter of seconds and if a possible response was captured, it would play it back so you can hear the response immediately instead of waiting and going through hours upon hours of audio tapes. It would be up to the investigator if it was from another member of the team or if it actually was a disembodied voice. Maybe it could be set up so it would only play back sounds that are above or below hearing level so that there would be less of a chance an investigator would/could contaminate the evidence. This would of course increase analyzing time and leave more time for investigators to view video footage and concontrate less on audio evidence. Further, if the message recieved is garbled or incomprehensible you can Immediately ask the spirit again the same question to help confirm or to get a more clearer response.

i see where you're coming from. but - since each recording will be different, with different volumes, background noises etc etc, the software would need to know exactly which bit the prospective evp is so it would know what to clean up, what to discard and what to keep. It would need to be a bit AI to be able to do that.

Its a bit like using the same idea for say, mixing a piece of music - but since sound is so subjective, software just cant do that (without a human operator) at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 oddmanout

I think that if a bubble sort program was used that rcognised vowel sounds plus a a few small key consonants used in sentance structures the program would sort more efficiantly.As for the different volumes of evps I think a base line would have to be established so the audio could be boosted into a desired hearing level. If the vowel sounds are matched to the sound and pitch of a standard voice then the whole evp could also be amplified to the set level. the person owning the device could calibrate it to his normal talking voice so that it can be more clear and precise when the evp is played back. There are far fewer vowel sounds than consonants so as the device searches for vowels it should be fairly accurate at finding the words.Not perfect but better than sifting through hours of static if it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

In the late seventies there was a device called the Spircom developed which basically attempted to do what the OP suggested, and purportedly allowed conversations in real-time.

The story of its development, it's inventors and the subsequent in-fighting is a very interesting story in itself. It attracts much debate for and against, even today.

As for Franks Box, I couldn't think of a better way of invoking aural peridolia in someone.

• Advertisement

Has to be proven before its improved .

spot on. and until we know just what it is we're looking for - as in modulation and frequency - then theres no point in messing with software. sometimes you just have to put the hours in.

Advertisement