Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angry Video Game Nerd

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

His early stuff is pretty juvenile but I was still laughing my ass off at it. He's improved immensely since he started and I think what I like about his stuff is that it's actually very informative and any of the games he rips apart he is never unfair to even if his 'sh*t load of f*ck' rants are hilariously over the top (although there are a few games that got me that annoyed). What I'm not liking recently are the show off bits at the end of the videos he is doing lately but I think he is allowed his indulgences for the quality of the content preceding it. His film reviews on cinemassacre are pretty good as well and does them quite straight faced.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

I think AVGN is fantastic. Just harmless laughes for 10 mins.
    The entrance theme is hilarious too imo. And i normally have no time for toilet humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I used to watch him back when screwattack was good. Then tom left and it turned to balls

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Screwattack infuriates me even when Tom was still there. I don't normally agree with top 10 articles but thats natural but the screwattack ones are so uninformed and sh*t that they infuriated me close to a keyboard pounding rage. I'd punch them in the face for having UN squadron as the best shmup ever and Goldeneye i think was in the top 10 FPS games.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Hercule

The only things worth watching on screwattack are the bits that are syndicated on IGN/gametrailers like AVGN and to a lesser extent Video game vault and maybe the armoury - its all fairly juveneile regardless

watch AVGN play Top Gun with a power glove for a moment of absolute brilliance

Screwattack was better with Tom imo - most of the stuff now seems to be rolling advertisements for events in the USA or games which have just been released on the virtual console

the vast majority of it is highly unfunny - thye have this dire scrubs rip-off about employees in a games store that I actually challenge people to watch

• Advertisement

Hercule wrote: »
    watch AVGN play Top Gun with a power glove for a moment of absolute brilliance

That was unintended genius. Absolutely classic stuff. I'd recommend watching the top gun episode before the powerglove one just to get the full effect. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Back on topic there, I think some of the videos like Sega CD/32X have a point. It was a gimmicky thing that was too much hassle than it was worth. Mind you I haven't played either but on the basis of his video I wouldn't be bothered tracking either down. Or a Jaguar for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 mediafreak

AVGN sure inspired a lot of copycats in the web with his ranting style

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I been watching AVGN for a looooong time, I've enjoyed the slide from juvenile ranting (which was funny, but only in short doses) to actually informative (I love when he does video game system reviews. They're always good).

I kinda get the vibe that the nerd's paying his bills in a sense these days so it's not so much a labour of love any more, and that he'd rather be making films or doing reviews. I'll try to find the review I read that in.

Oh yeah and he's easily the best thing on screw attack (Captain S was kinda funny ish. Everything gets the kick!)

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Love AVGN, the bible games episode has to be the best though.

• Advertisement

SDooM wrote: »
    I been watching AVGN for a looooong time, I've enjoyed the slide from juvenile ranting (which was funny, but only in short doses) to actually informative (I love when he does video game system reviews. They're always good).

I kinda get the vibe that the nerd's paying his bills in a sense these days so it's not so much a labour of love any more, and that he'd rather be making films or doing reviews. I'll try to find the review I read that in.

Oh yeah and he's easily the best thing on screw attack (Captain S was kinda funny ish. Everything gets the kick!)

Which console videos did you like ? I've only watched the Sega one , the Atari Jaguar (when he takes a shit on it I was literally on the floor howling at about 2am) and the VirtualBoy video was alright but the erm, "console" really was rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Is he sponsored by rolling rock now?

I think he's just fond of it, he's been drinking it since the first video although the booze drinking has taken a back seat lately.

you should check out cinemassacre too for his indy films, movie reviews, and you know whats bull****.

The guys a genius and it's good to see he's making some money from his talents.

His video on the confusing chronology of sequels (both video games and films) was very very good - http://www.screwattack.com/AVGN/2006/Sequels

I never really came across confusing video game sequels but I was only baffled by Final Fantasty 7. It was a pretty big hit if I remember correctly but I was always always asking "where the hell's the other ones?"

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Just saw this yesterday and i think its one of the funniest things ive ever seen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x_vpdWvrkY
    id post the vid on here but there is quiet a bit of foulmouthing going on. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I like his bart vs the space mutants review. That game sucked!

I hated that game as well but things were so bad on the C64 that it was considered one of the best game son it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I love AVGN as it reminds of my childhood, growing up playing megaman 2 and castlevania. Good times.

Can anyone remember the name of that nes game were you rescue frozen kids and the last boss is a jukebox? Wrath of ninja?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Anyone else like Zero Punctuation too? Not retro but still really good reviews (Watch from 2min in, as there is a bonus review at the start from some other guy) http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/645-Halo-Wars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Spoony Experiment is well worth a watch too.

http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/game-reviews/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Just watched the Dragons lair review... Priceless gaming frustration!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

James is amazing for reviewing ****ty games.
    And that guy with the glasses is great for old ****ty movies.

links - www.thatguywithglasses.com

www.cinemassacre.com

Advertisement