Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teaching without a hdip done

Options
  • 08-06-2009 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

does anyone know whether or not you can teach secondary with no dip done?
    i have just completed my BA degree and would like to teach for the yr if possible. . i wil be then doing my h dip the following year?:)
    very confused about this please help:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Soulja boy

does anyone know whether or not you can teach secondary with no dip done?
    i have just completed my BA degree and would like to teach for the yr if possible. . i wil be then doing my h dip the following year?:)
    very confused about this please help:(

I would also be interested in this. My Degree would allow me to teach maths or physics. Are there any circumstances perhaps for temp work where a Hdip is unnecessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Used to be commonplace, have not heard of it in recent years, there are loads of teachers without jobs and they have to be offered the hours first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭niall3r

I got a couple months this year, was meant to do a fortnight covering for a friend but ended up convering a differenet teacher for four months.

Give your alma mater a shout, they are the ones most likely to help you out.

But there are a lot of qualifies teachers out there who will be looking also, and they will get first preference. Give it a lash as it can do no harm and you might strike lucky too, but dont put all your eggs into the one basket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭marblesolutions

We had an irish teacher in our school this year he did not have a Hdip but got work for the whole year.I also know some friends in VEC's with no Hdip but I do think your chances of picking up more than a few days here and there are very slim. Lots and lots of teachers have been let go this year so the comp for jobs is strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 purpleladyxxx

tanx all! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭StargazerLily

Completely depends on your subjects and if you are flexible about where you work- our school was looking to replace a French and English teacher this year and even though there used to be loads of teachers with that subject combination they couldn't get anyone qualified at all. A recent graduate got the job on a temporary basis while they were advertising it and interviewing for it but as they got no suitable applicants she got to stay on for the whole year - presume she was paid at the unqualified Sub rate but she still got work for the whole year, with no h.dip or any teaching experience. It will be harder this year but if you have the right subjects you could be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Completely depends on your subjects and if you are flexible about where you work- our school was looking to replace a French and English teacher this year and even though there used to be loads of teachers with that subject combination they couldn't get anyone qualified at all. A recent graduate got the job on a temporary basis while they were advertising it and interviewing for it but as they got no suitable applicants she got to stay on for the whole year - presume she was paid at the unqualified Sub rate but she still got work for the whole year, with no h.dip or any teaching experience. It will be harder this year but if you have the right subjects you could be lucky.

was she teaching up to leaving cert honours level?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tgirl

I work for a VEC we have teachers on staff with no H Dip especially teaching PLC courses - revelant work experience counts

Advertisement